The mkiv Supra Owners Club

STOLEN

Uzair

Hi All,

I'm unsure where to post this and I'm hoping I can get some help. 

My Supra was stolen yesterday evening from a garage in Grewelthorpe / Harrogate. It's a comprehensively built, clean example. I've received help from several of my fellow enthusiasts here over the years to help me with the build. David P, Darren / Wile Coyote, Eamon Kearney, Keron to name a few. 

I'm absolutely gutted and an emotional wreck. Unable to be a man about it and take it on the chin. 

The registration is M167 DRK. I'm attaching some photos of the car. If you come across anyone selling a Supra for parts or breaking one, please check to see the background of the car if that is at all possible. The speedometer is quite unique, picture attached for reference. 

Any help will be highly appreciated. 

I can be contacted on [email protected]. I'm unsure if we are permitted to leave our numbers here but more than happy to list it if needed. 

Thanking you all.

My kindest regards,

Uzair

20200314_125901-01.jpeg

20200326_143033.jpg

202004192271057128260482020.jpg

It may be worth adding info on the spec of the build, that way if parts start to appear on certain platforms then that could lead somewhere. Any serial numbers you have, for the engine etc. Unless its recovered quickly its probably going to get stripped for parts. I've had two cars stolen in 40 years, one was recovered within 2 days parked up (because a resident complained to the council it was in their space) and the other was never seen or heard of again.

With the one that was never recovered I saw it being driven off and walked quickly over to the police station within 5 minutes of it going. They weren't interested in putting out a call to patrols on a theft that had just occurred. They really are that useless. With the one that was recovered, I wish it hadn't been as they barrelled the car and broke the steering lock so I then had different keys for the ignition. 

You do need to check with your insurer that they won't look to push any claim onto the garages insurers. I have a mechanic matey who has a traders insurance policy and had him check for him driving or storing my car. Answer came back market value which on we buy any car is £225 for a TT6 Supra. I now won't leave my car overnight with any third party or let them drive it other than doing a MOT brake test because insurance cover could be a nightmare issue with third party insurers involved. Hopefully you have a sympathetic insurer if it does come down to a claim for damage or total loss on the vehicle.

Thank you Rider and Darren. 

The insurance company is already being difficult. :s At present, they have said they will now leave this and wait 6 months before even deliberating on the claim; stating this is the SOP for stolen vehicles. Did you have to wait 6 months too!?

My Mrs shared it for me as I'm not on Facebook. She doesn't know how to change the setting for everyone to share. But quite a few have managed to copy the link and share it that way. I don't know how it works. 

If its heading to Liverpool its probably already stripped or sitting in a container ready to ship. I'm sorry, I have nothing good to say about FJ. Bunch of crooks. I was only insured with them 2 days and that was 2 very expensive days.

When my car was stolen insurance companies were more helpful, it was in the 1990's. I sent off a letter to the insurer about the car that was then missing about how it'd taken me ages to find one that good and what I felt it was worth. Their assessor agreed with my valuation and the insurance paid up within a week of the required month wait period to see if it was recovered. I really do doubt that the former 1 month wait is now SOP to 6 months. From the AA insurance website "Most insurers will wait for 30 days before paying out on a stolen car claim".  Aegon have a terrible reputation so good luck, on Trustpilot 40% of reviews are 1 star. If you could give no starts then they would probably be no star ratings. I now only go with insurers that get top reviews which is usually more expensive but less hassle if you need to claim.

If you are not on an agreed value policy then prepare yourself to be bitterly disappointed with a shitty settlement offer so that anything better becomes a bonus. There is always the ombudsman that you can refer companies to if the service is poor and settlement offer particularly bad. Make sure you keep copies of all for sale ads on PH and the likes and record any sale prices achieved for Mk4 Supra's at the various auctions around the UK. This will be all useful backing to argue your case with the insurer or to the ombudsman. I have used ombudsman services twice and both times I got what I wanted plus compensation and interest for being dicked around but these were both backed by a compelling case file put together by me. If you don't have time or inclination to do the groundwork, to gather the information, then its probably not something that will get you very far. I'm a litigious bastard against unscrupulous opposition so its something that comes easy to me. 

• 1 month later...

Hello all,

My apologies, I've been away for work and have only just returned to the sunny UK. 

I'm afraid I don't have any updates at all. The insurance company is quiet, I've spoken to them this morning and they're adamant they will wait 6 months before deliberating and also that the police investigation is still open. I did quote the FCA rules but they said that my car was stolen under 'extenuating circumstances' and exempted from the guideline. I think this is BS and I'm going to look into this and compile a strong argument. 

Spoke to the police officer dealing with the case and he's confident the car is no longer in the country. However, they're still carrying out searches but have no further updates than the previous ping in Merseyside. 

The garage's insurers are waiting on my insurers to deliberate, apparently. 

It's extremely frustrating!

Also, thank you @rider.

@Swampy442: The car was in storage and SORN and I had it sent to a garage in Grewelthorpe for a leak on the steering rack. It was repaired and we agreed to have it collected on Monday - the car got stolen that weekend, before Monday arrived! We do have CCTV but from the neighbouring properties. They blinded the garage's CCTV with infrared, moved 3 cars out of the way to get to my Supra. They came fully prepared. It was an operation like you would witness in 'Gone in 60 Seconds', 'Inside Man' or 'Fast and Furious'! 

• 4 weeks later...

Hello all 🙂

I trust everyone had a lovely Christmas and I wish you all a very Happy New Year. 

After some constant back and forth with the insurers, I received a settlement offer yesterday which I accepted. And earlier today, I had the monies hit my account.

They have written the car off as total loss and compensated me with £35,000, which is actually quite good and I'm happy with. 

Footman James and Ageas, both extended their apologies for the inconvenience and reassured me this was an isolated instance given the complex circumstances of the theft.

So a late Christmas present and a positive outcome to a horrendous ordeal. 

I have already bought another Supra, which was owned by another member here. It is in quite a decent nick and I fully intend to keep it that way. 

I will, of course, share some pictures as soon as I'm able and weather permitting. For now, it is tucked away in my garage, under covers, with the immobiliser and tracker active! Never having another car without a tracker! 

Thank you so much, everyone, for all your help and support. I would not have been able to follow this through had it not been for you guys. 

Also, has anyone heard or spoken to David P lately? I cannot seem to get through to him. Just want to check-in with him as he was quite unwell the last time I spoke to him. 

Much love and respect to you all.

My kindest regards,

Uzair

• Like 2

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. You might also be interested in our Guidelines, Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.