The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Power steering failure

black_widow87

Evening all,

I tried reversing out of a space the other day only to find my power steering not working at all! No leaks of fluid anywhere on the car, and the resoviour is still full of fluid. The fluid does however have a burnt scent to it. Iv also checked the fuses in the drivers foot well which all checked out ok. Am I right in thinking it's just the pump that has given up? I'm really hoping the steering rack hasn't failed..

Cheers

Jake

On 10/1/2023 at 9:40 PM, black_widow87 said:

Just took the resoviour off and given it a thorough clean through the net filter, still no power steering. 🙁 

What happens if,

1) you remove the aux belt

2) remove the return pipe (plug/bung the hole up, syringe out fluid first if you or undo the res and tilt as you remove the return line)

3) Hold the return pipe over the open reservoir top

4) use your finger to spin the Power steering pump pulley

5) check for flow ie is the pump working 

I believe it's a simple system, if you have enough fluid and the pump is driven and pumping 

• Like 1

Doesn't look ideal!   It would only be a dribble by hand as you can't spin it fast. 

If you really wanted to test it you could refit the belt, brim the reservoir and (carefully) have the return in a separate bottle, then (perhaps have a helper) briefly start the car and shut off (it's surprising how quickly the fluid flows at idle revs)

When changing fluid in the past I've done this with the addition of a 500ml drinks bottle secured on top of the reservior to increase capacity, the flow it that quick and you don't want the fluid in the reservior running dry as then you get lots of air in the system. 

If then you don't get any flow, I can only think it must be goosed. (have you checked the 'bellows' on the steering rack aren't full of fluid?)

On 10/4/2023 at 2:59 PM, black_widow87 said:

Went to drain the resoviour bottle again to investigate the pump further only to find some debris. 🙁

Tried turning the pump over with belt removed and no fluid seems to be passing through the top return hose. Guess that mean the pump has failed on me...

If the return line is removed then turning the pump would normally drain the reservoir. When I had a failed PAS pump on a Ford way back in time it was an easy spot, you could see a fall in the level then a return rise on the pulley cycle. 

The pump 44320-14250 is still listed up on some USA sites for around $300 even though it is a now discontinued Soarer and Supra part. I hold a spare somewhere on my garage shelfing as probably do many other long term owners.

1 hour ago, rider said:

If the return line is removed then turning the pump would normally drain the reservoir. When I had a failed PAS pump on a Ford way back in time it was an easy spot, you could see a fall in the level then a return rise on the pulley cycle. 

The pump 44320-14250 is still listed up on some USA sites for around $300 even though it is a now discontinued Soarer and Supra part. I hold a spare somewhere on my garage shelfing as probably do many other long term owners.

Yes I do have a spare stored away fortunately 😉 Is there no rebuild kit available? Interested to see what has failed and maybe repair it...