The mkiv Supra Owners Club

New Supra enthusiast

juggy96

Hi guys

Im was on the market to buy a new fun car. After doing some research I've recently fell in love with the supra mk4.

I'm very new to classic cars so im trying to learn as much as I can!

Are there any problems that I need to look out for when on the market?

Also, would anyone know of any car dealership websites to buy a supra?

I would prefer a Supra without too many modifications which I know will be hard.

I'd appreciate any advice.

Thank you

On 7/29/2023 at 6:53 PM, juggy96 said:

Hi guys

I'm very new to classic cars so im trying to learn as much as I can!

Are there any problems that I need to look out for when on the market?

I would prefer a Supra without too many modifications which I know will be hard.

I'd appreciate any advice.

Thank you

Ok I'll try and give some experience/thoughts, may well be a bit rambling! 

I don't really think of them as classics, but appreciate they are or very much on their way. I say this partly as lots and lots will not have been refreshed at all. It doesn't make them bad cars I'm just pointing out that the huge reliablilty and build quality means that +25 year old cars can be on original (pretty much) everything. 

We have only recently seen the start of people restoring them properly, underside/total refreshes, lots of cars are more original but the prices of either aren't that far apart. Parts are getting harder to come by now too and so unlike in the past a lower priced one is not always going to end up being the best buy even if you are prepared to take on the refresh work. 

Again 25 years old and many will be very good/clean, rust was never an issue but is slowly creeping in, the boot hatch around the glass is a classic area, and then the sills have been known to go, as have the plastic coated steel brake/fuel hardlines. 

For a long term owner like myself it feels like now is the hardest time to buy, everything is expensive and most needs some sort of work on top, and then used parts are very expensive and new parts sometimes discontinued. 

This isn't to put you off but you did ask for any problems!

Are you open to all types Non turbo as well as the twin turbos? This will obviously broaden your choice and the non turbos are often more stock (power mods aren't cost effective or plain effective! 

• Like 1

"Paul Cheshire" is a name on here

The link below points to potentially the type of car that fits your wishes (especially if you want a manual twin turbo)

I still think the prices are way too high but I come from a time when they were silly cheap for 15 or more years 

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/203893265414608/?ref=search&referral_code=null&referral_story_type=post&tracking=browse_serp%3Adebc8318-ad48-4fd2-942c-2293e4332568

OP where are you based?

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Scooter said:

I don't really think of them as classics, but appreciate they are or very much on their way. I say this partly as lots and lots will not have been refreshed at all. It doesn't make them bad cars I'm just pointing out that the huge reliablilty and build quality means that +25 year old cars can be on original (pretty much) everything. 

We have only recently seen the start of people restoring them properly, underside/total refreshes, lots of cars are more original but the prices of either aren't that far apart. Parts are getting harder to come by now too and so unlike in the past a lower priced one is not always going to end up being the best buy even if you are prepared to take on the refresh work. 

Again 25 years old and many will be very good/clean, rust was never an issue but is slowly creeping in, the boot hatch around the glass is a classic area, and then the sills have been known to go, as have the plastic coated steel brake/fuel hardlines. 

For a long term owner like myself it feels like now is the hardest time to buy, everything is expensive and most needs some sort of work on top, and then used parts are very expensive and new parts sometimes discontinued. 

Are you open to all types Non turbo as well as the twin turbos? This will obviously broaden your choice and the non turbos are often more stock (power mods aren't cost effective or plain effective! 

Agree with all this. We've had two for 21 years now. The 95 reg one is going through some serious work on her undercarriage, it's not cheap at all and finding parts has been an absolute nightmare.  They are definitely turning into a labour of love , go into ownership with your eyes wide open! 

• Like 1

It's a strange market, quite a few for sale with few buyers it seems?

Seemingly has to be a wreck to be below £20K but given the prices of parts and work a decently refreshed or very good original car at over £40k can be a good deal incomparison? It's relative to me because I am living in the past and ALL these prices seem crazy!  

I think all my 10 supras purchase prices add up to around £70K (3 were under £5K) so I struggle with the prices, however as long as the prices hold up and it feels pretty certain they are/will then the purchase price doesn't really matter for a new buyer now? Just makes the initial purchase very very important to get right.

I'd view some, get to a show where they'll be a range of them etc, the prices now at least mean there is no clamour for them, you can take your time and be picky. 

On 8/1/2023 at 12:07 AM, Scooter said:

Thank you for the advise.

I agree with what you're saying!

When I started reading about them I was really impressed with the reliability and with how clean a lot of them are.

Tbh, before I started looking at prices, I didn't realise how expensive they are.

Im open to all types of supras. I'm not too interested in power mods anyway

I appreciate your comment

Thank you

On 8/1/2023 at 12:21 AM, Scooter said:

"Paul Cheshire" is a name on here

The link below points to potentially the type of car that fits your wishes (especially if you want a manual twin turbo)

I still think the prices are way too high but I come from a time when they were silly cheap for 15 or more years 

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/203893265414608/?ref=search&referral_code=null&referral_story_type=post&tracking=browse_serp%3Adebc8318-ad48-4fd2-942c-2293e4332568

OP where are you based?

Thanks for the link. I'll check that out.

Im based in the West midlands, Coventry.

21 hours ago, Scooter said:

It's a strange market, quite a few for sale with few buyers it seems?

Seemingly has to be a wreck to be below £20K but given the prices of parts and work a decently refreshed or very good original car at over £40k can be a good deal incomparison? It's relative to me because I am living in the past and ALL these prices seem crazy!  

I think all my 10 supras purchase prices add up to around £70K (3 were under £5K) so I struggle with the prices, however as long as the prices hold up and it feels pretty certain they are/will then the purchase price doesn't really matter for a new buyer now? Just makes the initial purchase very very important to get right.

I'd view some, get to a show where they'll be a range of them etc, the prices now at least mean there is no clamour for them, you can take your time and be picky. 

Thats good advice. I'll take that into consideration.

I agree. I'm in no rush so I will be taking my time.

Thanks mate