The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Engine flushes

Dnk

Who uses them ?

I have no problems with my E46 330 but was thinking its been nearly 3 years since the last oil change 

but mostly due to covid It's only done around 5k.

Would an engine flush followed by fresh oil and filter be a good idea or just do a normal oil change ?

4 minutes ago, mplavery said:

instead of using a flush just use a cheaper oil and run that for a bit the change with some decent oil

Id rather do that than engine flush 

Exactly same process I do.

Or water. Helps give it that fresh scented clean 😭💔

I've used SeaFoam SF16 additive in engines. its a low dosage of 25g per litre of oil but it has given some interesting results.

One engine that has oil changes every 500 miles due to low annual mileage had some top end varnish that I ran for 200 miles with some SF added and the then drained oil was red; resembled used ATF. Most of the varnish has gone, I'm planning on repeating the treatment at some stage. On another engine that had a sticking valve lifter the oil always drained like new as the car was low annual mileage and has at most 1,000 mile between changes. After 250 miles with the SF added to the engine oil it drained black.

I like SF because it appears to dissolves deposits rather than disperse them.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, rider said:

I've used SeaFoam SF16 additive in engines. its a low dosage of 25g per litre of oil but it has given some interesting results.

One engine that has oil changes every 500 miles due to low annual mileage had some top end varnish that I ran for 200 miles with some SF added and the then drained oil was red; resembled used ATF. Most of the varnish has gone, I'm planning on repeating the treatment at some stage. On another engine that had a sticking valve lifter the oil always drained like new as the car was low annual mileage and has at most 1,000 mile between changes. After 250 miles with the SF added to the engine oil it drained black.

I like SF because it appears to dissolves deposits rather than disperse them.

Dispersing them is just going to cause trouble so dissolving any deposits is much better.

Thanks for the info.

I'm going to get a sample of the oil and see what it looks like.

The engine runs perfectly so I don't want to create a problem

My engine oil is on its way along with a new genuine filter 

14 minutes ago, Swampy442 said:

Would absolutely not flush an oil engine, all you'll do is disturb years of crap hiding in nooks and crannies, and send it round your oil system.

I always put some cheap oil in, run it for a few miles then change it for whatever you normally use

I've been speaking to my friend who owns the local garage i use and he's stopped doing flushes some

time ago due to problems afterwards.

Booked in on Thursday to do the oil & filter change 

Edited by Dnk (see edit history)