The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Underseal or not

fastphil666

I am pretty set that this will be my last year with my supra. Its a 96 facelift with 48k miles. Despite its low miles it was imported in 2010 so it has some signs of rust starting here and there. Id describe it as 'honest' for a 26 year old car.

So my question is do i underseal or not? As a new buyer would you run a mile from an undersealed car? Back when i was looking at evo vi's i was told to run a mile if they didnt have a folder full of photo's to back it up!! 

I have no issue paying to have it sealed mu issue is, i wouldnt be happy with the job 😂

Id want the subframes out to coat under them, probably get them powder coated while there out 🤔 may aswell paint the underbody if your doing that 😂 

Suddenly a big job with a big expense!

What are peoples thoughts, am i mad/ocd??😂😂

i had mine done when it entered the country, i had multiple photos before though so i know it's all good.

On the silver supra i raptor coated parts of the underside, again i documented the whole thing.

I'd only be dubious of buying one heavily undersealed if there was no photos of the condition prior.

If you're selling in a year I'd say it's not worth it, once you start taking it apart it gets very expensive and you can't have 1 clean bit next to a dirty bit so it's a never ending cycle until its all new, trust me I know 😅

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mwilkinson said:

As above.  Not worth the effort if you don't intend on keeping this longer term.

Exactly what i was thinking. Let the next owner do it to their own standards. Its one of those jobs i always question, is it dobe right/well. Ive seen fresh imports and all they have done is mask the subframe and big items and then hammered it on underseal, bolts,pipes, everything.

32 minutes ago, fastphil666 said:

Exactly what i was thinking. Let the next owner do it to their own standards. Its one of those jobs i always question, is it dobe right/well. Ive seen fresh imports and all they have done is mask the subframe and big items and then hammered it on underseal, bolts,pipes, everything.

Tbf most underseal can just be steam washed and degreased off anyway iirc unless it’s raptor or physical paint