The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Exhaust Butterfly Valve

Big Supes

Can anyone recommend an exhaust butterfly valve that'll fit a 4" system? 

A friend got pulled yesterday for no front plate and the copper also slapped another £100 fine on him for his car being too loud. 

As I'll be running a similar set up, I'd like to avoid this and, tbh, it might be a good option as a matter of courtesy for my neighbours. 

2 minutes ago, Swampy442 said:

No front plate, so basic, deserves the fine.

Theres tons of valves out there, the problem will be trying to find a quality one

I think there's a lot to be said for a stern warning, but to fine for the plate and then fine for the exhaust aswell, I think the constable is a tosser, but hey ho, that's why I'm not a copper. 

Are most of the valves no good in your experience? 

7 minutes ago, Mike2JZ said:

You will struggle to find anything good in 4''

The ones you can use will start leaking usually. 

That's a shame. I've seen a couple I'm interested in, but they seem more like bypass valves that divert the exhaust gas either directly out (for noise) are close off so the gas goes through the silencers. That's not really what I'm looking for, tbh... 

12 minutes ago, Swampy442 said:

Theres also a lot to be said for obeying the law but, discussion for another day. I thought you were after a noisy valve, what are you after, a noise reducing valve?

I'm an advocate for civil disobedience, but yes... another day. 

Yes, the latter. Noise reducing for early morning starts and overzealous police officers. 

27 minutes ago, Mike2JZ said:

Take them to court. Can gauretee that there is no type approved products for a grey import supra lol. 

He's going to wait for the paperwork to arrive to see what the offence was, but I have a feeling the car might have passed the decibel test, but because he showed the officer the bung, he was then done for something else. 

I think I need to get familiar with the current laws as these cars are from a time when the police stuck to catching actual criminals and car enthusiasts were allowed to go about their business. 

I have an Apexi Active Silencer insert for my Tomei Titanium exhaust for the 1994 usdm Supra MKIV.  This is a spring-loaded baffle - under low load it's closed so the exhaust is quiet(er).  As exhaust gas volume/pressure increases it overcomes the spring, opening things up to full bore.

https://www.vividracing.com/apexi-active-tail-silencer-silencer-for-spec-and-turbo-115mm-p-151470931.html

Not installed yet - in the middle of swapping the head from regular GTE to GTE-VVTi and other nice vitamins.  But it fits perfectly into the Tomei tip.

• Like 1

Depends what youre doing I suppose, if you're being a noisy, antisocial dick you attract attention, especially with no front plate. In my (very) limited experience with the police theyre fine if you treat them fine. Just guys doing a job. Driven and currently own cars with noisy exhausts and never been stopped

7 minutes ago, Swampy442 said:

Depends what youre doing I suppose, if you're being a noisy, antisocial dick you attract attention, especially with no front plate. In my (very) limited experience with the police theyre fine if you treat them fine. Just guys doing a job. Driven and currently own cars with noisy exhausts and never been stopped

He was doing 45mph in a 50 with his daughter and baby seat strapped in the front.

They pulled him for the plate, but as the copper was a jobsworth prick he decided he'd do him for the exhaust as well, which seems to be backfiring (pun intended) on the Facebook post. 

Edited by Big Supes (see edit history)

13 minutes ago, Halfwalker said:

I have an Apexi Active Silencer insert for my Tomei Titanium exhaust for the 1994 usdm Supra MKIV.  This is a spring-loaded baffle - under low load it's closed so the exhaust is quiet(er).  As exhaust gas volume/pressure increases it overcomes the spring, opening things up to full bore.

https://www.vividracing.com/apexi-active-tail-silencer-silencer-for-spec-and-turbo-115mm-p-151470931.html

Not installed yet - in the middle of swapping the head from regular GTE to GTE-VVTi and other nice vitamins.  But it fits perfectly into the Tomei tip.

I'd be interested in hearing some sound clips once it's installed. 👍

I had to run the car with NO exhaust to get it out of the garage and onto the flatbed to get it up to the shop who was going to fit up the exhaust.  The Tomei Titanium 4" is practically a straight pipe - there is a muffler at the end, but it's pretty damn open.  6266DBB turbo dumping right out the downpipe was Gates-of-HELL loud.  Holy crap.

When I picked the car up it was almost as loud !  Well, seemed that way.  Definitely too much for civil driving about town.  With the Tomei baffle in place it was genteel, but you can't run that thing for more than idling around.  Hence the need for ... something.  Hence the Apexi Active Silencer.  There's some discussion about the tip silencers etc here

https://www.supraforums.com/threads/exhaust-with-tip-silencer.1125621/

I'm also getting a Gesi 5" cat (G-Sport 85500) with a pair of 4"-5" transitions to insert into the midpipe.  Need to do my part for the environment, right ?  Plus it will cut the sound down as well as the smell, so win-win.

I've been using an Apexi exhaust control valve for nearly a decade. It looks naff using a bung, and also doesn't allow you flexibility to open it up without pulling over. Which is a bit shit, like E85. Pulling over to top up race fuel while you remove the exhaust bung 😄 

At 60mph I can barely hear the exhaust when its closed. It's still loud as hell when open.

I understand everyone likes to promote their own choices on their cars, but I've seen some people argue a bung is better than a valve. So many advanced cars use these, electric versions, you don't see top end manufactures handing you a bung with your exhaust. 

I have a straight through 4.5 inch exhaust single box, its loud. Such an improvement. Located in my midpipe. I would only recommend buying an Apexi version, and call me old fashioned but I prefer the mechanical latch rather than a switch and motor sat on the exhaust pipe.

https://www.apexi-usa.com/products/apexi-ecv-exhaust-control-valve-flange-type-80mm

image.png.8fad4b5483e0468a3a491c647c116923.png

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Noz said:

I've been using an Apexi exhaust control valve for nearly a decade. It looks naff using a bung, and also doesn't allow you flexibility to open it up without pulling over. Which is a bit shit, like E85. Pulling over to top up race fuel while you remove the exhaust bung 😄 

At 60mph I can barely hear the exhaust when its closed. It's still loud as hell when open.

I understand everyone likes to promote their own choices on their cars, but I've seen some people argue a bung is better than a valve. So many advanced cars use these, electric versions, you don't see top end manufactures handing you a bung with your exhaust. 

I have a straight through 4.5 inch exhaust single box, its loud. Such an improvement. Located in my midpipe. I would only recommend buying an Apexi version, and call me old fashioned but I prefer the mechanical latch rather than a switch and motor sat on the exhaust pipe.

https://www.apexi-usa.com/products/apexi-ecv-exhaust-control-valve-flange-type-80mm

image.png.8fad4b5483e0468a3a491c647c116923.png

That's pretty much exactly what I'm after mate, cheers. 👌

The good old cable mechanism works for me. 

• Like 1

On 2/2/2022 at 7:15 PM, Big Supes said:

That's pretty much exactly what I'm after mate, cheers. 👌

The good old cable mechanism works for me. 

Do it mate. Won't be disappointed.

I'm going to add a y piece so it flows to a car and muffler when it's closed.

49 minutes ago, Noz said:

Do it mate. Won't be disappointed.

I'm going to add a y piece so it flows to a car and muffler when it's closed.

Nice. Was chatting to Mike about a couple of options he's looking to develop in that respect. Some really good ideas that'll no doubt work a treat.