The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Warm Start Issues

Ric

Hi guys. 

Posting on the behalf of another member who's having issues with his car, I've tried to help as much as I can but reached the end of my knowledge.

2JZGTE car with stock ecu etc

Read codes and was giving 78 which was a fuel pump Issue. This was solved because of a faulty connection in the tank. 

The car ultimately started first time albeit a bit lumpy at first (not ran for 2 years beforehand) 

Car ran without issue for 20 minutes after, At which point we turned off the car and fitted his original ECU (was using my spare originally)

At this point the car refused to start, cranking fine but no fire.

I removed the spark plugs etc to check them and they were a bit wet with fuel, gave them a clean up and refitted, the car started again perfectly. 

Again after ten mins of faultless running the car refused to start after being stopped. 

At this point we'd assumed the car had cooled down enough whilst doing the plugs to start, the car ran on the original ecu too.

Again when warm the car just cranked without starting.

We tried a spare coolant temp sensor and the car started straight away. Over and over. believing this was at fault he bought a new sensor from Toyota and fitted. The car started fine but when warm we are back to square one again. Which makes sense the spare sensor we had would have been "cold" at the time.

Does anybody have any ideas of what to try next or what the issue could be?

Crank sensor was changed but as it runs I don't believe this is the issue. Although I've asked him to check the resistances when warm too (I only checked cold)

Thanks in advance.

Forum diagnosises are a bit of a lottery so I'll add my 2p...

Try unplugging and cleaning the connections on the crank and cam sensors. It's worth checking the resistances are within range while you're there. 

Also worth checking for a bad earth (remove and clean). With the age of these cars I've seen badly corroded battery trays and earth cables hanging off which had caused a variety of red herrings. 

17 hours ago, Big Supes said:

Does it hot start on your ECU? 

It didnt hot start on either

18 hours ago, m12aak said:

Perhaps it might be an issue with the Fuel Pressure VSV? (this is not from my knowledge whatsoever, just what the GTE troubleshooting TSRM says!) Page EG-595 on the one I have saved.

This is on our list to check.

16 hours ago, Big Supes said:

Forum diagnosises are a bit of a lottery so I'll add my 2p...

Try unplugging and cleaning the connections on the crank and cam sensors. It's worth checking the resistances are within range while you're there. 

Also worth checking for a bad earth (remove and clean). With the age of these cars I've seen badly corroded battery trays and earth cables hanging off which had caused a variety of red herrings. 

Resistances were checked on crank sensors. Checking warm resistance (Checked cold, ok) Cam sensors are to do.

Bad earths possiblly option need to check the major ones.

Edited by Ric (see edit history)
  • Like 2

22 hours ago, m12aak said:

Perhaps it might be an issue with the Fuel Pressure VSV? (this is not from my knowledge whatsoever, just what the GTE troubleshooting TSRM says!) Page EG-595 on the one I have saved.

Just checked this and the VSV isn't present on his car, and mine for that matter.

perhaps this vsv is only usdm/uk?

Mine is plumbed directly into the vacuum line for the map sensor and gas valve 

• Like 1