The mkiv Supra Owners Club

HKS EVC - Boost Controller - Newbe Questions.

fullrespect

Hi all,

I have recently imported a Supra and it came with HKS EVC boost controller and all the BPU mods. (i can still see the catalytic converter present)

I have had a few runs on the road with this set to boost to 1 Bar. But what is strange to me, when it passes 4k rpm it drops the boost to 0.5 bar immediately. I am totally new in this area, i mean car tunning.

I have no idea how to change the setting (if any of them are responsible for this strange behaviour) as the instructions are incomplete in english.

I remmeber when i had previous TT6 it was a bit lazy in the lower rpm's but it was sky rocketing from 4k RPM

Current one, with BPU has a lot of power up to 4k rpm but lot less when it goes over... Maybe i am missing something?

Is there anybody who had any experiance with this boost controller?

I would greatly appreciate your help.

IMG_20220119_170143.jpg

IMG_20220119_170147.jpg

IMG_20220123_154144.jpg

Edited by fullrespect (see edit history)
  • Like 1

• fullrespect changed the title to HKS EVC - Boost Controller - Newbe Questions.

All I can think of is that it's over boosting past 1 bar, then there is a drop of value which basically protects the turbos.

E.g. my HKS EVC-S is set to boost to 1.1 and 1.2 bar, even tho it's set to that sometimes it overshoots. There will be an overboost value of either 1.2 or 1.3 set depending on my mode, and if it hits it, it drops the boost all the way back

It could also have the fuel cut defender in place, if boosting over 1 bar for more then 3 seconds it will drop back. Usually there is a little black box or HKS FCD fit where the ecu is. If it doesn't have one then it could be the issue

Try turning the boost controller off entirely and see what happens. If it still cuts the boost at 1 bar then i would suggest it doesnt have a fuel cut defender.

Also - in the colder dense wether it will / can overboost. A boost controller can only raise boost, not lower it

Edited by tayr (see edit history)
  • Like 2

Technically it is possible to do on first turbo, but unless you have modified vsv's or actuator it to do it then unlikely it will do it. 

Like tayr said, just turn boost controller off. If it still does it then probably second turbo, if it doesnt then you know its a setting issue on BC

• Like 1

1 hour ago, fullrespect said:

Had the same thought that the second turbo does not come on, but will it be possible to build 1 bar on the only one turbo?

As we're talking sub-4000rpm, I doubt the second turbo is contributing much boost, but it's been a while since I've paid attention to transition boost so I can't qualify if 1 bar under 4k is achievable on the 1st turbo (single mode) alone. 

I'd take Mike's (edit: and Tayr's) advice and let us know how you get on. 

Edited by Big Supes (see edit history)

Hi all, and mamy thanks for your input on this! Really appreciate your time and efforts helping me out.

So i went for a spin, turned off the boost controller so on the stock settings, and here is what i got: VIDEO

I have searched for the fuel cut defender but i have not found it installed.

I have spoken to Keron and his idea is that the second turbo is not coming on.

What is your thoughts?

Thanks!

If you still can't make boost on TTC mode, have done all the checks Mike has listed, the next steps I'd take is to check the turbo link pipe for internal collapse and the rest of the IC pipes for boost leaks. 

I remember on mine a while back I couldn't make over a bar of boost and it turned out to be failing welds on my OE SMIC

Boost leaks of that nature are normally indicative of running rich though. 

I've attached a pic of where the link pipe is located. If yours is stock, it'll be an orcadian style pipe. They're known to collapse internally so they look ok from the outside. Whifbitz sell replacements. 

20220122_151722.jpg

• Like 1

All right Chaps! Now i can call my car a beast! 

It was a bloody lose hose from one of the valves, i found it, fixed in place, sealed it and the smile is back on my face 🙂

The engine now when it hits 4k rpm goes crazy fast, same does the car!

Amazing how silly thing that was, and very happy it was only this.

All the best and once again, thanks a lot for your help!