The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Single Exhaust Sound

Big Supes

Sorry if this has been discussed a million times. I found old threads on the subject, but all the links to soundbites and videos had expired. 

When considering my single build for next year I really want to get the sound right and need the help of those who have been through different exhausts, manifolds and turbos to steer me in the right direction for what I'm after. 

I'd like to get as close as possible to the older set ups people used to run. The deeper burble, chewbacca sound like the Greddy Power Extreme in the video attached. 

I know the turbo and manifold have quite a big effect on this too and I'd imagine the better flowing/newer manifolds probably decrease that unequal length chewbacca noise. 

There used to be a video of Dude's old silver auto that ran a T88 playing on an airstrip with other jap cars for a top speed challenge. It sounded immense. 

8 hours ago, Swampy442 said:

Cams also have a lot to do with the sound. If you can find one, the RS-R exhaust makes a nice noise 

Yeah, that's true, but I find cams give more of an engine characteristic that then gets changed by the above. 

I'll try and find some audio of an RS-R. 👍

A cast manifold is where the deep note comes from and the metal the exhaust is made from will influence this too. How you make the exhaust gases resonate is key if you’re looking for a particular sound.

Cast manifold = deep sound

Tubular manifold = higher pitched sound (reminds me somewhat of F1)

If you want a lope at idle you need silly cams which will ruin drivability if they don’t match your power level.

1 hour ago, Frank Bullitt said:

A cast manifold is where the deep note comes from and the metal the exhaust is made from will influence this too. How you make the exhaust gases resonate is key if you’re looking for a particular sound.

Cast manifold = deep sound

Tubular manifold = higher pitched sound (reminds me somewhat of F1)

If you want a lope at idle you need silly cams which will ruin drivability if they don’t match your power level.

Perfect, thanks for clarifying re the manifold. I was thinking the manifold is going to be crucial to achieving the sound I want. 

I've been looking at the RPS remake by SP Racing with the F1 manifold. With a large muffler like the greddy PE I think I'll be someway sorted. 

Stock UK fuel system will be in place until the next step which will be ECU, cams and fuel system. 

3 hours ago, Burna said:

Sounds awesome Burna. Would like to hear more of it off the dyno. 👍