The mkiv Supra Owners Club

toyotapartsdeal.com - would you recommend?

SUPRA4EVA

1 hour ago, SUPRA4EVA said:

They seem to have a few things I can't get anywhere else, are they reliable? I'm aware of shipping/import charges, just wanna know if it's safe to go ahead with the order?

How about amayama? I’ve placed around 5/6 orders with them, a couple over 1k and hundreds of items and never had an issue

4 minutes ago, Samurai 20V said:

I used them toyota parts deal a few times, no issues, the shipping was expensive to South Africa.

Amayama is good, but recently shipping costs gone up.

I used megazip a few times now, been happy with the service & shipping costs.

Good to know, never heard of megazip.

I've used lots of sources for parts over the years and its getting harder with A80 Supra retailers with failing parts supply the retailers have to work a lot harder tracking down non stocked items and it seems to have become too much trouble for some to be bothered with any longer.

USA:

McGeorge Toyota

Pros - cheaper than Toyota UK including shipping and taxes. Answer emails.
Cons - Ships USPS so you have Parcel Force handling charges this side.

Amazon.com

Pros - They ship at really low rates, usually cheaper to ship in from the USA than DPD from Liverpool to Chester. Handle all the duty side to.
Cons - Amazon charge retailers a massive commission, even more than eBay, so they have loads of product listings as 'no longer available'. These are still good to identify the actual retailers who may or may not ship direct to UK customers. 

I buy in things like Supra oil filters from Amazon in the USA. Last lot were half the price of buying locally.

RockAuto

Pros - Cheap parts and tools and really good ship rates. They also handle all the duty and VAT side to.
Cons - Not a lot of parts listed for the Supra. 

Middle East:

Amayama

Pros - Cheaper than your local Toyota dealer
Cons - They do cancel parts from orders without notice or an option to then cancel the entire order. Their shipping is cheap enough but there are UK handling charges and fees to pay before the parts are finally delivered to you. Their warranty conditions mean that there is effectively no warranty available on parts.

UK:

Toyota UK - Lots of dealers offer decent prices and some, like Burrows Sheffield, have sold Supra parts on eBay. Anyone can get a 10% discount on parts just by asking their local dealership.

Pros - You can take stuff back.
Cons - Even with a discount still expensive for most, though not all, parts.

Inchcape Oxford - Another Toyota dealership with one Mr Manley who used to be a forum favourite go to for Supra parts. I've probably spent more here than anywhere else.

Pros - Always worked with you on prices.
Cons - Steve has become harder to pin down over the year, apparently losing interest. That probably comes down to his not wishing to waste time looking at a lot of discontinued part numbers.

TCB Parts - A forum sponsor and all round good operator.

Pros - Good pricing and finds parts others seem to have problems with.
Cons - The very high standards of only a few years ago do seem to be slipping where emails can go unanswered and quotes can take an age. Maybe it comes down to the time it takes to track parts down for a low sales conversion rate that has mellowed the enthusiasm. There are probably easier markets available than Supra owners asking for a quote.

Keron - a forum sponsor and all round good operator.

Pros - Knows the cars inside out and gives good prices.
Cons - From my own experience, not always easy to track down and doesn't responded to messages.

The days of can you track me down a part seem to be largely in the past with suppliers and its more a case of do they have it in stock or listed in stock somewhere ready to ship. For those reasons I'll always ask the local Toyota dealer first now and then if the part is available spend a little time seeing if there are alternative cheaper sources. That tends to mean quick online searches rather than wasting time sending an email to a supplier that probably will go unanswered. Than means pinging onto the amazon, amayama and McGeorge websites for a quick look and going from there with Amayama my least favoured option to buy from. 

• Like 7

Just to add some info on Paul @ TCB. If I recall correctly, he lost his old man this year who helped him out with the business a lot.

I don't think there's any lack of enthusiasm with Paul, he's just that snowed under which obviously doesn't help anyone here. But I believe he's doing as much as he can.

EDIT: Paul himself also thought he had a stroke last month but it turned out to be Bells Palsy. So he's also recovering from that himself

Edited by Style (see edit history)
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Style said:

Just to add some info on Paul @ TCB. If I recall correctly, he lost his old man this year who helped him out with the business a lot.

I don't think there's any lack of enthusiasm with Paul, he's just that snowed under which obviously doesn't help anyone here. But I believe he's doing as much as he can.

EDIT: Paul himself also thought he had a stroke last month but it turned out to be Bells Palsy. So he's also recovering from that himself

Thanks for relaying this information. Hope he's doing better.

• Like 1