The mkiv Supra Owners Club

UK differential.

dash

42 minutes ago, dash said:

Ok,thanks.I'd read that you have to disconnect the wiring somewhere in the boot and something about removing a ground wire.

Don’t know if you need to touch them, but there’s an ECU and a relay or two next to the rear drivers side passengers seat belt. The wiring for the diff goes down out of the car next to where the ABS sensor lines go. The thick black cable here, you can see the relay and ECU off to the far right behind the speaker box (I’ve added the speaker boxes to my U.K. spec, normally the relay and ECU are mounted on a small bracket)

FD1E10C1-75EB-466B-A59C-6BCEB41F80FE.jpeg

Edited by chaoticentity (see edit history)

23 hours ago, chaoticentity said:

Don’t know if you need to touch them, but there’s an ECU and a relay or two next to the rear drivers side passengers seat belt. The wiring for the diff goes down out of the car next to where the ABS sensor lines go. The thick black cable here, you can see the relay and ECU off to the far right behind the speaker box (I’ve added the speaker boxes to my U.K. spec, normally the relay and ECU are mounted on a small bracket)

FD1E10C1-75EB-466B-A59C-6BCEB41F80FE.jpeg

That's great,thanks very much.

• 3 weeks later...

How on earth do you remove the half shafts from the differential,they seem to be seized solid.Ive tried lowering the diff right down,hit with a hammer,no joy.Any tips/advice would be most appreciated.

If you have removed all the bolts holding the shafts to the differential then they should drop off. There is no real reason why they wouldn't just drop off unless you still have one end splined into the hub then there probably isn't enough room to just drop off as they have a quite a pronounced domed grease cap behind the diff coupling.

3 hours ago, rider said:

If you have removed all the bolts holding the shafts to the differential then they should drop off. There is no real reason why they wouldn't just drop off unless you still have one end splined into the hub then there probably isn't enough room to just drop off as they have a quite a pronounced domed grease cap behind the diff coupling.

I haven't touched the hub end because didn't think I had to.Even the tsrm says just undo at the diff end and lower the diff down and they should come off.

1 hour ago, Swampy442 said:

Need a good whack with a hammer and drift to shift them some times, its just a spacer so no real damage can be done, just dont go ape shit 😃 

Do you mean at the diff end,because didn't think I had to touch the hub end.

1 hour ago, dash said:

I haven't touched the hub end because didn't think I had to.Even the tsrm says just undo at the diff end and lower the diff down and they should come off.

If you have lowered the diff by removing the one rear hex nut on a NA (two on a TT) and lowering the two front bolts then I'd expect it to drop out. This on forum picture shows the size/depth of the grease caps you need to clear from the diff coupling.

http://jza80.mkivsupra.net/monthly_2021_06/IMG_1274.JPEG.29055c0735dfa6a6e8bab4bce18fe9fb.JPEG

PS - Did you did removed the large hub nut (30mm) from the end of the drive shaft?

Edited by rider (see edit history)

Thanks for the photo.Thats why I can't see how they will just drop out,but I also can't see any way to pry them off.Do you mean at the hub end,if so no,because didn't think I had to touch the hub.

If you grab the shaft with both hands and can rotate it with the road wheel of the ground then you know the shaft isn't stuck or glued to the diff and that will confirm its a clearance issue. If you find you cannot rotate the shaft with all the bolts out then you need to get banging it with a rubber or hide mallet.

PS - make sure the car is in gear.

Edited by rider (see edit history)

27 minutes ago, rider said:

If you grab the shaft with both hands and can rotate it with the road wheel of the ground then you know the shaft isn't stuck or glued to the diff and that will confirm its a clearance issue. If you find you cannot rotate the shaft with all the bolts out then you need to get banging it with a rubber or hide mallet.

PS - make sure the car is in gear.

Do you mean make sure the car is in gear while I try to rotate the wheel,Thanks.

On 7/2/2021 at 3:03 PM, Swampy442 said:

Need a good whack with a hammer and drift to shift them some times, its just a spacer so no real damage can be done, just dont go ape shit 😃 

Whereabouts do you whack them with a hammer please,I've tried and they're not budging.For the first time in 17yrs I'm getting really ###### off with this car.