The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Steering wheel recover- any thoughts?

swiftstu

Hi all,

got the supe in for a respray and been looking at the tired steering wheel. The stitching has come away on the upper part so a simple sand and recolour will only do so much.

I can find new covers online which stitch on, but none which go up the, erm spokes? Is that right? They all just go round the outside- will look a bit rubbish. Anyone have any ideas where to get a new one which fits like OEM?

thanks

Edited by swiftstu (see edit history)

20 minutes ago, swiftstu said:

Hi all,

got the supe in for a respray and been looking at the tired steering wheel. The stitching has come away on the upper part so a simple sand and recolour will only do so much.

I can find new covers online which stitch on, but none which go up the, erm spokes? Is that right? They all just go round the outside- will look a bit rubbish. Anyone have any ideas where to get a new one which fits like OEM?

thanks

Got a few quotes from companies and they were all extortionate and then asked a few people and they recommend royal steeringwheels who came back with a very good quote. One of my mates works for a camper van builders and they use them as well as his boss who buys and sells lots of high end cars so should be very good

http://royalsteeringwheels.com

550B8DDB-BF95-4AF5-AFA7-1F1D13805522.png

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Andrew K said:

I can also highly recommend Royal Steeringwheels as I had mine re-trimmed by them and they also added some more thickness to the diameter part to make it like wheels in newer cars. 

Before pics

ED8FF706-6A16-4850-A1CD-03B9E27D7F20.jpeg.d52aececffebbb83d9295e1936fa1b6a.jpeg  

48F748B7-48FC-4685-8617-E0A4A19683DA.jpeg.303a80dc862702db907b38c05e999bae.jpeg

After Pics

E2595B90-B909-4B4E-9230-F1FDF2AC7E2A.jpeg.47def049dfa94a6995023c6214c8c6b1.jpeg

414805FE-8F5E-4B80-9A0D-2D8C88FCF7EA.jpeg.652233633c754f92d625c6765cdc8ff2.jpeg

Wow- that looks amazing. Can I ask how much that cost? Did you have an option to just buy the cover, or just the retrim?

17 minutes ago, swiftstu said:

Wow- that looks amazing. Can I ask how much that cost? Did you have an option to just buy the cover, or just the retrim?

Sorry I can’t remember how much I paid now as got mine done back in 2015, no didn’t have the option to buy a cover just the retrim. You can choose any type of leather or other material like suede etc. 

Edited by Andrew K (see edit history)
  • Like 1