The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Car won't start

zap

Hi guys, 

Car been off the road for about a year.

Have been doing a bit of work, put it all back together, charged the battery, connected battery and was waiting for the alarm to go off but it didn't.  Alarm fob is working OK, arming and disarming, turned ignition to on position, dashboard lit up OK and there were a few clicks.  Turned the key, and just got some clicking noises.

Turned ignition off and turned back on again, and there were no lights in dash.  Turned the key, and it just clicked.

Any ideas? 

Seized starter motor?

Immobiliser not disengaging?

My money if the the battery is holding charge is that the immobiliser is preventing the car from starting?

I’d start with the easy stuff first. What voltage is the battery showing? They don’t like being fully discharged especially for an extended period of time, even if you’ve charged it, the battery might be knackered. I’d invest in a trickle charger such as a ctek to keep the battery in shape and it will also be able to tell you if the battery is knackered.

Thanks for the replies,

I have checked the battery voltage and it is showing 11.7V. I am wondering if the charger is knackered because that is showing the battery is fully charged.

Could the immobiliser still be at fault even though the starter is clicking when I try to start it?

I had a new alarm/immobiliser fitted when I had a shed load of work done in mid 2019.

The battery was replaced at the same time. The battery did go completely flat over the winter because the alarm went scatty and I couldn't shut it off.

I did wonder about the starter motor, although the car had been standing for about 5 years before I had all the work done and it was performing fine when I got it back on the road.

1 hour ago, zap said:

Thanks for the replies,

I have checked the battery voltage and it is showing 11.7V. I am wondering if the charger is knackered because that is showing the battery is fully charged.

Could the immobiliser still be at fault even though the starter is clicking when I try to start it?

I had a new alarm/immobiliser fitted when I had a shed load of work done in mid 2019.

The battery was replaced at the same time. The battery did go completely flat over the winter because the alarm went scatty and I couldn't shut it off.

I did wonder about the starter motor, although the car had been standing for about 5 years before I had all the work done and it was performing fine when I got it back on the road.

If it’s spent a while discharged it will most likely be scrap regardless of age, as mentioned above, extended periods of deep discharge are not good for car batteries. It should be 12.4 or above for a healthy battery and anything less than 12 is considered completely discharged. So if your charger thinks it’s fully charged it would suggest the battery is the culprit, try a trickle charger as it may be able to save it. Ctek chargers will usually tell if it’s beyond redemption.

One other thing to check is good with non-starting is the earth strap connections. 

Mine went through a phase of not starting and it turned out to be the main battery earth strap needed cleaning up, i tested it by running a jump lead from the engine to the negative terminal 

2 hours ago, zap said:

Thanks for all the advice guys, put a new battery on this morning, only turned over twice and started straight away, good old Toyota.

My Ctek is one of the best bits of kit I have bought, it will keep your battery in tip top condition when not in use. Glad it was an easy fix.