The mkiv Supra Owners Club

PC Help

Dnk

Hopefully someone can help me

My desktop is a HP 110-330na with Windows 8.1 64bit

I recently upgraded to BT's HUB 2 fibre 1, everything appears fine but now i've started getting the

Blue screen and this message DPC_WATCHDOG_VIOLATION

I searched this and fixes came up with updating drivers, i've checked and all are up to date

I've asked the HP support assistant and that's telling me to do a hard reset ?

"If Windows is open, turn off the computer. If Windows is not open and the computer has power, press and hold the power button on the computer until the computer shuts off.

With the power off, disconnect the power cord from the back of the computer.

With the power off and the power cord disconnected, press the power button on the computer for five seconds. The power light indicator on or near the power button might turn on briefly but then go out.

Reconnect the power cord and turn on the power."

Any thoughts before i do this and if i do this are there any downsides to doing it

Cheers

seems one solution.

Also, if you run 'cmd' as administrator, right click on it when you find it, then choose run as administrator, type chkdsk /r note the space. It will shcedule a check disk when you restart the PC, also run a sfc /scannow at the 'cmd' admin prompt too.

If you cannot actually get into the PC run those commands from the recovery part, as it says choose command prompt!

Other possibles if you have an SSD is to upgrade the SSD firmware. (SSD = solid state drive).

seems one solution.

Also, if you run 'cmd' as administrator, right click on it when you find it, then choose run as administrator, type chkdsk /r note the space. It will shcedule a check disk when you restart the PC, also run a sfc /scannow at the 'cmd' admin prompt too.

If you cannot actually get into the PC run those commands from the recovery part, as it says choose command prompt!

Other possibles if you have an SSD is to upgrade the SSD firmware. (SSD = solid state drive).

Cheers, i've done the youtube fix and its the same

Edited by Dnk (see edit history)

Have a look in the Event viewer for the results of the Chkdsk, if any bad sectors replace your drive. What Anti-virus is on it?

You could also update it to Windows 10 for free still. Use the 'Download tool Now' feature, you need an 8GB pendrive. Backup your data first as it can go wrong!

https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/software-download/windows10

Have a look in the Event viewer for the results of the Chkdsk, if any bad sectors replace your drive. What Anti-virus is on it?

You could also update it to Windows 10 for free still. Use the 'Download tool Now' feature, you need an 8GB pendrive. Backup your data first as it can go wrong!

https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/software-download/windows10

I'm in the event viewer but no idea where or what i'm looking for :senile:

I would just upgrade to W10 these days... dont need a pendrive you can do it direct on the pc you are using

So upgrading to 10 will fix this problem ? strangely i've been on my pc since 08:35 hrs this morning and it hasn't done it

Found it and has files there but all in binary. all DMP files

Hi Dnk, those files are crash dumps (information held in memory at the time of crash) and should ultimately tell you the reason the machine is blue screening. They have to be run through an analyser to see exactly what's wrong. The dates on the files should coincide with the times your machine crashed. If you send me a couple of the most recent ones I might be able to tell you the cause of the problem. Let me know if you want me to do that. If you wanted to have a go yourself you will need to use a Microsoft application called windbg.

Hi Dnk, those files are crash dumps (information held in memory at the time of crash) and should ultimately tell you the reason the machine is blue screening. They have to be run through an analyser to see exactly what's wrong. The dates on the files should coincide with the times your machine crashed. If you send me a couple of the most recent ones I might be able to tell you the cause of the problem. Let me know if you want me to do that. If you wanted to have a go yourself you will need to use a Microsoft application called windbg.

If you could take a look for me that would be great, how do i go about sending you some ?

Thanks for all the help and advice guys. obviously there is something up but i've moved my office around

and plugged this computer into the HUB and its not had a problem for over 24 hrs now

That probably tells you it's the Wifi card driver or card itself, if it stays that way.