The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Large driveshaft flanges

Scooter

Does anyone know the measurements of the driveshaft bolt holes on a big diff?

I have a small diff with 'oversize' flanges ie the small diff/normal driveshafts bolts don't match up, the flanges and its bolt holes being a larger diameter?

I'm trying to ID the flanges basically so if anyone has a large case diff or driveshafts lying about I'd appreciate some measurements. (does a LS400 or anything use larger flanges?)

Yank-ism can degenerate this subject into confusion, because they call both types of shafts driveshafts.

Diff prop-shaft flange.

This comes in two different sizes, N/A Supra has the smaller size and all T.T. Supra's have the larger size, which has been all the info I have ever needed. I have never measured either but the larger one is around 10mm more between bolt holes.

Diff drive-shaft flanges.

These too come in two different sizes, but I have yet to identify which, where and why and have never measured the difference?

Either/or, each flange is interchangeable from one diff to another.

Edited by David P (see edit history)

These too come in two different sizes, but I have yet to identify which, where and why and have never measured the difference?

Either/or, each flange is interchangeable from one diff to the other.

Cheers David, this is what I have the flanges are interchangeable, and look to be the same but are in fact similar to the prop flange the bolting is just bigger/wider. As the only driveshaft options I know of for the Supra are the prefacelift manual and large diff/shafts or the standard small diff/NA ones, I'd really appreciate it if someone does have larger diff they can measure flanges of.

Cheers David, this is what I have the flanges are interchangeable, and look to be the same but are in fact similar to the prop flange the bolting is just bigger/wider. As the only driveshaft options I know of for the Supra are the prefacelift manual and large diff/shafts or the standard small diff/NA ones, I'd really appreciate it if someone does have larger diff they can measure flanges of.

I can't remember who's Supra it was, yet once came across a small-case Torsen diff that had the larger sized driveshaft flanges, which didn't pair up to the driveshafts in the Supra that it was going into, so I just swapped the flanges with/from the small-case open diff that had just been taken out.

After which, I never got around to wondering about this enough to inspire my Nerd instinct into researching as to why?

Even-so, this does reveal that larger driveshaft flanges are not exclusive to large-case diffs.

Edited by David P (see edit history)

I can't remember who's Supra it was, yet once came across a small-case Torsen diff that had the larger sized driveshaft flanges, which didn't pair up to the driveshafts in the Supra that it was going into, so I just swapped the flanges with/from the small-case open diff that had just been taken out.

After which, I never got around to wondering about this enough to inspire my Nerd instinct into researching as to why?

Even-so, this does reveal that larger driveshaft flanges are not exclusive to large-case diffs.

yeah that's what I had to do. Someone is after the larger flanges and I could do with the normal/common ones to swap into mine (although I should 100% check first it's all the smaller fixings on mine after all this!)

Cheers all