The mkiv Supra Owners Club

2jzgte sequential turbo's

fastphil666

Had an issue today with the supra, went to the supermarket on it. On the way we had 2nd turbo, saw 15psi at ome point (wasnt thrashing her) then went for fuel. On the way back no second turbo at 4k, at the transition point i had around 8.2psi. Went past 4k and it actually dropped to around 7psi.

Would a good place to look be the egcv/vsv for the egcv?

Had a similar issue last year, went through all vsv's and pipe work and didnt find anything. Drove cottectly after re-assembly though.

Just thinking, as you do on a sunday night. I tested all the vsv's last time with the engine cold and they were all acceptable resistance. When the vsv's warm up with engine bay temp could the resistance be unacceptable?

Would make sense as both times its happened it was warm, i had both turbo's when the engine bay was cooler.

I had a 2nd turbo issue not cutting in 1st one came in! But SRD found that engine was running out of fuel and found as the car had sat for 7years prior to me buying her the fuel pump had gone completely rusty! Change and cleaned out and she runs like a dream now! So may need checking bud!

I had a 2nd turbo issue not cutting in 1st one came in! But SRD found that engine was running out of fuel and found as the car had sat for 7years prior to me buying her the fuel pump had gone completely rusty! Change and cleaned out and she runs like a dream now! So may need checking bud!
Previous owner fitted an uprated pump about 2 years ago. Thankyou for the input though.

This fault is intermittent, have done around 1700miles in the last year and its happened twice. First time i checked every vsv for resistance at 20°c, all looked ok put it back together and she worked again. That was summer 19' but its not been used over winter and then barely used since due to lockdown.

I have a sneaky feeling that with heat one of the vsv's resistance is going out of spec as earlier on before stuff got heat soaked we had both turbo's playing nicely.

Yes, if the EGBV (exhaust gas bypass valve) wont open you wont have a second turbo
[emoji106] Yes, im going to test it today on the supermarket jaunt. Hopefully that was all it was[emoji106]

Last time i had the issue, i replaced a lot of pipes with fuel hose. I found all the vacuum lines to be a sloppy fit now, so replaced with bmw oem vacuum line. Much tighter fit.

• 1 year later...

I have since had a fault repeat on me. Second turbo wont react sometimes. I managed to remove the pipes to the pressure tank, tested the vacuum a few times and it wont hold 17psi for a minute like it should. Its dropped 6 psi in a minute. 

I think my pressure tanks had it, has anyone changed one, it looks a bitch.

• 2 months later...

In case anyone was following this. My pressure tank tested fine. At this point i had checked all vsv's and hoses, everything was fine. I assumed the aem tru boost was all good, as its a good quality product. I was told when i bought it that it wasnt set up so run it in the off setting. Which i did.

So today i removed the aem, what a difference. i achieve higher psi on the 1st turbo (10psi) sometimes it was 5psi? the transistion to 2nd turbo is smooth (used to jerk) and high psi of 17.2psi is still the same because it uses the restrictor ring. 

Im sure with a proper set-up the aem is a good bit of kit but it seems to have been interfering with my bpu set-up.

• Like 3