The mkiv Supra Owners Club

non starter - no spark and an owner who is losing faith

cpgreen7787

good afternoon to you all and hope everyone is doing well, my 1993 na auto is currently unable to start and according to 2 different in line spark testers i have no spark.

i have 12v at the coil and I've tried another coil which i had spare because I've heard they can be a bit of an issue.

history - this started about about 2 years ago when it just cut out on me and never started again, i had a look in to it but it was turning into a big job so due to work commitments i had to store it for a bit then about 8 months ago i started looking into it again and thanks to a suggestion from the Facebook group i found my ECU was burnt and damaged so i had it repaired, thanks to this lock down I've had time refit the repaired ecu and change the cambelt but it still wont start.

I love this car but it's really starting to drive me crazy, any tips or suggestion would be greatly appreciated

NA Supra's have the crank pulse sensor built into the distributor which controls spark. when cranking over the engine see if you can spot the rev counter needle bouncing slightly as that's from the crank signal.

Igniter module - the bracket is the earth, when they go rusty the car wont start

ECU - bad ecu can cause the NA not to start and the na auto ecus worldwide seem to be on their last legs due to age

Imo i have a feeling its the ecu on this one

hi all thanks for the replies, i had the ecu repaired and the company that did it seemed very confident that it would work fine but i agree that it seems likely that the ecu is still faulty.

i checked all of the fuses and they are fine, i even replaced some that had tarnished blades.

i replaced the coil but i didnt think about cleaning the bracket so i'll do that.

i replaced the cam belt but i was very careful and i manually turned over the engine a few times and checked the timing and tension.

i think i need to try and get hold of a spare ecu, even if it turns out to be something else it seems like i may need one in the near future.