The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Advice on selling my late fathers 1999* Twin Turbo Supra

MrKing

Hello,

Looking for some advice on selling my late fathers Toyota Supra and I apologise for my lack of knowledge beforehand but I’m trying to best to make sure i get the right price for this car as it used to be my dad’s prized possession, the specifications of the supra are as follows:

- Japanese import first made in 1994 and imported in the UK in 1999 and purchased 2001

- 32,000 on the clock

- Manual transmission

- 3.0L engine

- Light weight fly wheel fitted

- Had spent around £8,000 on the car overall ontop of sale price & usual maintenance costs

- Twin turbo

- Is running

Now it is a nice car and has a lot of engine work done to it (re-mapped etc) but it has been sitting for a while and needs a good clean and some paintwork doing to it but I still believe if it was sold to the right owner they could make this car shine once again.

Now all I’m really asking for is some guidance on price and if there is any way to sell this car, we’re not looking to plunge any more money we’d rather factor the cost of any jobs needed such as the paintwork against the sale price.

Any help is much appreciated.

Thanks

Edited by MrKing (see edit history)

A sad state of affairs and you have my commiserations. He must have been a speed nut of sorts, a Supra is nothing like what my dad would have ever driven.

First up on the mileage. The clocks would have been changed at some point. Probably when the car was first imported. So unless you have the original km pod or a sensible Japanese service record then mileage is but a number. From the MOT history it clearly hasn't gone anwhere far for a good many years which does mean it'll need a good look over before it goes back to full on road use. This will affect the price but a lot of potential buyers would use this as a means unfairly to beat you up on the pricing. Unless of course they do find some serious issues.

As for a sales price it really would need to be someone in your face. Traders would probably take this off your hands for £15k tomorrow. An individual price would likely be somehwere around £20k assuming all it needs is paint, a new front bumper and recomissioning. If you were to get a ticket on it or at least have a MOT run to identify any suspension, bearing and bushes age related/lack of use issues then you could probably add straight away 10% to 15% on the price with a good report and fresh ticket. So, for the gamble, I'd run it down somewhere for a MOT test. Not somewhere like Halfords, a classics friendly garage.

Edited by rider (see edit history)

Thanks for your advice and my dad love this car back in the day, spent a ton of money on it and i just want to make him proud by selling it for the right price. I do agree that the first thing we need to do is get it down to a classic's garage for an MOT to understand the inside/outside of the car.

I'll try search to see whether i can get any information on the imported mileage.

Well i'll try udpate this post once i have the results back from the MOT.

A sad state of affairs and you have my commiserations. He must have been a speed nut of sorts, a Supra is nothing like what my dad would have ever driven.

First up on the mileage. The clocks would have been changed at some point. Probably when the car was first imported. So unless you have the original km pod or a sensible Japanese service record then mileage is but a number. From the MOT history it clearly hasn't gone anwhere far for a good many years which does mean it'll need a good look over before it goes back to full on road use. This will affect the price but a lot of potential buyers would use this as a means unfairly to beat you up on the pricing. Unless of course they do find some serious issues.

As for a sales price it really would need to be someone in your face. Traders would probably take this off your hands for £15k tomorrow. An individual price would likely be somehwere around £20k assuming all it needs is paint, a new front bumper and recomissioning. If you were to get a ticket on it or at least have a MOT run to identify any suspension, bearing and bushes age related/lack of use issues then you could probably add straight away 10% to 15% on the price with a good report and fresh ticket. So, for the gamble, I'd run it down somewhere for a MOT test. Not somewhere like Halfords, a classics friendly garage.

Are you sure it was made in 1994? ,it has vvti engine, clocks and tail light which would indicate it was made from 1997 onwards.

/QUOTE]

Okay so i'm really not to sure if it's 1999 or 1994 if i'm honest.

What i do have is a picture (see here: https://i.imgur.com/YTgNGZK.jpg) of the original sales invoice which i've redacted the personal info and left the details where it states the two years 1994 and 1999 so my questions are:

1. Is the 1994 the date of made and 1999 the import to UK date or something else ?

2. The 125,00km mileage would this be the mileage before imported into the UK (clocked?) or think something else?

Sorry to seem rather stupid on this but i'm learning on my feet here and try to pick apart all of this.

As already said, do not sell yourself short as people will take advantage of your inexperience. People will low ball you, give you all excuses then get it and sell it on again for a massive profit, as Peter said watch out for vultures.

Pay £10 membership and look through the classifieds and get a rough feel, you might never use the £10 again but will at least guide you. (unless the classifieds are available read only for non members)

Run any offer you get on here, you will soon be told if it’s decent or a kick in your balls.

Traders would probably take this off your hands for £15k tomorrow. An individual price would likely be somehwere around £20k assuming all it needs is paint, a new front bumper and recomissioning. If you were to get a ticket on it or at least have a MOT run to identify any suspension, bearing and bushes age related/lack of use issues then you could probably add straight away 10% to 15% on the price with a good report and fresh ticket. So, for the gamble, I'd run it down somewhere for a MOT test. Not somewhere like Halfords, a classics friendly garage.

This.

Although traders I think would probably offer a lot less than £15k.

If you either post up a picture of the vin plate or use the vin number and enter it into http://www.toyodiy.com as it will tell you there the details and year it was made

You are looking for that in the carhttps://jza80.mkivsupra.net/imports/2020/02/100.jpg

/QUOTE]

So i've put the number into that website and it's come back with the following:

chrome_6NrgRTfbd5.png

Thanks for the help.

The car is a facelift from june 1999 and have the V161 getrag box and big diff (iirc since it’s an RZ-s) ... hope that helps

Thanks for the information, i'll add it to my notes. May i ask as far as Supra's go, does this car/model stand out atall? just trying to get my head around what i'm dealing with really.

The car is a facelift from june 1999 and have the V161 getrag box and big diff (iirc since it’s an RZ-s) ... hope that helps

I have to correct the differential part. It should have a small A-serie diff with 3.266 final gear ratio and LSD. Facelift cars does not have the big B-Series differentials from the factory.