The mkiv Supra Owners Club

2jz gte coil pack upgrade options

Andy Ven

Stock coils are perfectly fine for big power build. But they need to be relatively new. 20 years old stock coils that are cracked are obviously going to have issues.

Look at Realstreet supra. Arguably one of the most powerful JZ's on the earth right now and uses stock coil.

I mean do what you like I suppose, the R8's wont let you down. I just wouldn't have picked them for the same reason as you.

Appreciate all the feedback and support.

It clearly is, otherwise you'd have followed the advice of people like SRD and other informed members ;)

I don't usually follow the crowd I make my own decisions. What do I gain from going R35.... nothing. Supposedly a slightly stronger spark which provides me no value when the R8 coils are more than up to the job. I guess one thing I am missing out on is a £500 bill to replace coil packs in the future...

It probably didnt help that the experienced advice was also a sales pitch. Plus the plethora of people having 'unknown misfire' turning out to be coil packs of age.

Sadly no one has long term experience with the R8. Hopefully for us all, they are longer life!

But I do agree with budget being a consideration. Whether its today's price or future replacement. Both are financial motives. Which is totally fine nothing wrong with it.

It's not like if XSpower did coils lol... but if they did!! Imagine :D

Edited by Noz (see edit history)

We had a set of Whifbitz super spark coil packs fitted just before Dragonball 2014 and as soon as we put it on high boost (1.8 bar) the car developed a misfire at 5000rpm. Luckily Lee @ SRD was on the trip and had a new set of OEM coil packs in the boot of his car, fitted them and never looked back. Still got them fitted today and had zero issues.

Maybe Whifbitz have upgraded there coil packs since then!

We had a bad batch Chris, its been sorted since then.

I had whiftbitz coils on my BPU, also failed.. After 20000kms of usage, fine cracks. had a misfire on boost.

Replaced with an old set of OEM which had alot of cracks, no misfire.

Eventually put a new set of OEM, even better..

Did you contact us about the issue? We did have a bad batch so would have exchanged them under warranty.

We do our own R35 coil pack conversion for the 2JZ-GE engine and GTE engines, complete bolt on kits apart from the wiring thats required and they fit under the stock engine covers too, GTE version here http://www.garagewhifbitz.co.uk/garage-whifbitz-2jz-gte-r35-gtr-custom-coil-pack-kit.html?___SID=U & GE version here http://www.garagewhifbitz.co.uk/garage-whifbitz-r35-gtr-2jz-ge-coilpack-conversion.html?___SID=U