The mkiv Supra Owners Club

HID Kit Anyone?

Nic

I can't get mine to work. :(

I fitted the driver's side on its own, turned the lights on . . . nothing.

Swapped the bulb for the other HID one... still nothing.

Swapped the rest of wiring and balast etc for the other one... still nothing

I put the original halogen bulb back in and it works fine.

Any suggestions? All the connections seem sound enough and I've been very careful not to touch the bulbs at all.

What to do?

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Jake, check the plug that goes to the loom.

Red/Black coming from ballast. They should meet up as follows: Red to red/black on car loom and black to white black on the car.

If they are the wrong way then a very small screwdriver into where the ballast wires goes into the plug will release the spade connectors, swap them (they just click in place) and try it.

Paul

Any suggestions? All the connections seem sound enough and I've been very careful not to touch the bulbs at all.

What to do?

if its still not fixed, take pics and me and paul can possibly have a look, seee why it isnt working

i remember when i fitted mine, i fitted them into the main beam position, instead of the dipped! oops!

What to do?

I tried to fit mine on Saturday and had the same problem, the main difference I have is that some c0ckend skimped on the accident repair last year and has fitted the bulb without a proper connector, it's just got those spade type ones pushed onto the pins on the bulb!

Because of this I gave up because I was worried about bodging HIDs but I couldn't resist a quick go.... I got the same as you engine on and off. I swapped the connectors around onto the bulb just incase they were wrong to start with and the HID flashed and then went off when the lights were switched on.

I was going to have a better look into once I got a new plug for the bulb but I'd be interested to hear how you get on in the meantime Jake. It seems fairly hard to get it wrong as all the plugs only go in one position but I can screw anything up ;)

I like the way the cable is cut to be just too short to position them in a useful place too, oh and the way the control box is just that little bit too big to fit in all the 'perfect' places.

Can't wait to get them working though :thumbs:

Jake, check the plug that goes to the loom.

Red/Black coming from ballast. They should meet up as follows: Red to red/black on car loom and black to white black on the car.

If they are the wrong way then a very small screwdriver into where the ballast wires goes into the plug will release the spade connectors, swap them (they just click in place) and try it.

Paul

Cheers Paul.

I think you might be right, but my balast wiring is different colours to yours.

Mine has a black wire and a white wire coming from the balast.

These then go into a connector on a wiring extension where the white balast wire joins to a black wire, and the black balast wire joins to the blue wire. From there the blue wire (effectively the black balast wire) goes to the red&white loom wire

and the black wire (effectively the white balast wire) goes to the black&white loom wire.

Which connector do reckon it's easiest to get the wires out of the plug? I had a look but it didn't seem easy.

HID_Wiring_P1010069.jpg

YAY!

I wedged the male HID connector in the wiring loom's female connector but wrong wrong way round and it works!

Thank gawd for that. I was not looking forward to having to send them back to Hong Kong.

Thanks for the tip Paul. :respekt:

Nice one Jake, press a small screwdriver in the back of the ballast plug and the wires clip out easy, swap over (click into place) Saves cutting the loom.

Took me hours to suss this out, not a major issue but annoying all the same!

Paul

Sorry guys, just woken up :yawn:

:thanks: Paul for the help.

Sorry Jake, Paul and I had this problem when he was fitting his, I thought it was just a one off but seems it must be the way the new Japanese ballasts are wired up, that is causing the problem on the Supra. Let me know how you get on and if you are happy with the results, if need be I'll swap the ballasts for a set of the German ones if you want.

Sorry guys, just woken up :yawn:

:thanks: Paul for the help.

Sorry Jake, Paul and I had this problem when he was fitting his, I thought it was just a one off but seems it must be the way the new Japanese ballasts are wired up, that is causing the problem on the Supra. Let me know how you get on and if you are happy with the results, if need be I'll swap the ballasts for a set of the German ones if you want.

No problem, still great quality, might be worth printing a small help sheet and stick it with each kit as it's frustrating when this happens? Just an idea mate.

Paul

I couldn't figure out how to remove the wires from the plug like Paul said but I did find that the connector into the balast will fit in the other way round. Of course the locating clip doesn't work then but it seems a tight enough fit anyway. It'll do for me.

I went for a test drive just now around the local unlit farm lanes. These HIDs are certainly different to the blue 100W bulbs I had in the Dipped Beam before. The light where it illuminates the road is good and the sharper cut off means that everything above that is in total darkness. I think I need to raise the beam a tad because I found myself driving quite slowly because I couldn't see as far ahead as usual, but like I say that'll be because my beam adjustment is set for bulbs that have quite a large 'bleed' area.

I think I'm going to like them once I adjust the beams properly.

I couldn't figure out how to remove the wires from the plug like Paul said but I did find that the connector into the balast will fit in the other way round. Of course the locating clip doesn't work then but it seems a tight enough fit anyway. It'll do for me.

I went for a test drive just now around the local unlit farm lanes. These HIDs are certainly different to the blue 100W bulbs I had in the Dipped Beam before. The light where it illuminates the road is good and the sharper cut off means that everything above that is in total darkness. I think I need to raise the beam a tad because I found myself driving quite slowly because I couldn't see as far ahead as usual, but like I say that'll be because my beam adjustment is set for bulbs that have quite a large 'bleed' area.

I think I'm going to like them once I adjust the beams properly.

Jake, I had to adjust mine up too. Get behind a car and line them up with the bottom of the rear window, such a sharp cut-off that you can tweak it exactly.

I should have worded that a bit better. The headlamp kit itself has not arrived just a letter from the customs people and a questionnaire asking for details about the goods.

PM Nic and ask him, the paperwork is very import friendly and these HID kits are about £28 aren't they?:rlol:

Paul

Yep, I received a letter from customs today do. Not sure how to fill it in yet, have emailed Nic

I wonder if this is because they were all sent together? Mine was seperate and I got nothing.

Bit difficult trying to convince them that Nic sent you all a gift:p

Paul

I got home tonight to find a note from HM Customs and Excise about Notice of Arrival of Goods by post (yes it is the HID kit).

Is this usual and am I liable to pay any additional costs?

Dave M

Got one too....

So Nic, any advice?? I'll scan and send you the documents.

imi

• 2 months later...