The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Dash lights turn on when foot off the accelerator pedal

Stock.supra.98

Hi All,

Hopefully someone can help me with this - so yesterday I was driving my Supra when out of no where the battery and the Exhaust over heat indicator along with the rear light failure and the large master warning light came on.

Just to be clear they only came on when I took my foot off the accelerator pedal, but when back on they would all disappear - this would happen regardless of speed.

Also with the above issue is that I could hear an odd whining noise, a friend of mine has had a look but no lights showed on the dash but he said it could be to do with the alternator.

Has anyone ever had this issue or know where I should even start to look?

Thanks in advance!

p.s. hope this is in the right thread, if not please advise.

Usually those symptoms are attributed to alternator failure or crank pulley is failing.

Check that the outer ring of the crank pulley has not come loose. This is a common issue with crank pulleys after some age. Try marking the crank pulley with a line of tipex and see if the lines move.

If alternator is dying then not much you can do other than getting it refurbished or getting a new one.

Thanks, then in that case do you or anyone on here recommend a place for alternators? Just trying to think ahead of worst case.

Ditto, ive been considering a polished alternator or even possibly a mechman one from SRD but are quite pricey

Thanks guys! Will be checking it over this weekend or early next week, will come back with what needed to be done! Thanks for the help!

**Update** I took the car out for a spin and found out that the light disappears over 2,000 revs and over. any thoughts?

Edited by Stock.supra.98
Update (see edit history)

• 4 months later...