The mkiv Supra Owners Club

BPU and FMIC?

Fulcrum2000

Yes I agree cheaper isnt better absolutely but when you can get the full kit in stainless for less than half of the price of the other outlets it makes you think. A Toyota one would be about £1200 with duties so yes the non standards are a bargain. Not trying to cheap out but if they have the same power as one for half the price it just allows me to spend the money elsewhere on the car. At the moment though I am most taken with the whifbitz one which is curently £420. AC93 did you renew all the pipework as well as the WB one doesnt seem to come with any unlike others?

Where are you seeing stainless steel intercoolers? they are usually made from alloy to save weight and money, I have used cheaper ones, but the design and construction is what makes a good intercooler, most are bar and plate which is OK but you preferably want one with internal finning which makes them far more efficient, the more expensive ones will have a smaller internal volume, and better design of end tank to cut down on lag,

If you just stick on a large IC and large pipework you will introduce lag into the system and make the turbo work harder, not what you want with BPU, if you actually state your goals instead of just ignoring questions asked you may get more suitable advice.

Hi Tricky. Sorry not sure what I ignored but my apologies if I did. Just want to do the right thing and am in the actual process of buying all the BPU parts. I want to get the best BPU set up - that is my goal. On pipework, I was asking what size the pipework was to see if any of the aftermarket ones fitted without increasing the size. Most people are saying WB is the best option but you say Bar and plate isnt the way to go and WB is one of those. Dont meant o cause offence but I want to get it right and am taking every single research wise as far as I can before buying. I've got the entire decat and exhaust system sorted, I know the Greddy BC is the best, have the walbro FP and now its just down to the intercooler and plugs which should seal the deal

Assuming you have clicked on the BPU (

Regarding a SMIC I would only fit CW’s, it does what it say on the tin and fits properly unlike a lot of others. It’s made in Germany iirc from decent material and easily F1 quality. Expensive but worth it for longevity and peace of mind.

Here you go - http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?314923-Group-Buy-proposal-for-my-uprated-stock-mount-intercoolers

His contact details as Chris doesn’t do pm’s - [email protected] or 07971-952084

Spark plug info here - http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?41927-FAQ-Spark-plugs

Edited by Frank Bullitt
Links added. (see edit history)

Hi Tricky. Sorry not sure what I ignored but my apologies if I did. Just want to do the right thing and am in the actual process of buying all the BPU parts. I want to get the best BPU set up - that is my goal. On pipework, I was asking what size the pipework was to see if any of the aftermarket ones fitted without increasing the size. Most people are saying WB is the best option but you say Bar and plate isnt the way to go and WB is one of those. Dont meant o cause offence but I want to get it right and am taking every single research wise as far as I can before buying. I've got the entire decat and exhaust system sorted, I know the Greddy BC is the best, have the walbro FP and now its just down to the intercooler and plugs which should seal the deal

No worries, i was just concerned that you where fixed on a stainless intercooler, which I have yet to see one advertised at any sort of reasonable price, besides any stainless IC would be a fair bit heavier than the usual alloy, as I said there is nothing wrong with a budget IC but as others have said fitment can be a challenge with some, the same apply s to pipework so choose carefully, unless you want the bling look of polished alloy pipework then the std is adequate for most applications, especially if you choose a CW side mount, and at the power levels your looking at, I wouldn't be looking at going OTT, especially if your not intending to go single tube at a later date,

Plug choice with PBU is one grade colder, the type is up to you if you don't intend to change them often than go for iridium, otherwise go for copper.

I did do some experimentation with stock vs FMIC on both BPU and single turbo , it was some time ago and I used 2 different FMIC s one cheap and one expensive named brand :

I monitored 2 temperatures one the IAT - this was at the top of the "up pipe" near to the throttle so as not to get any heat

measurements from the inlet/engine being transmitted .

And two from the pipework so I could see what the pipework difference was

In short I found that irrespective of the FMIC install negatives , the pressure behind ,the ducting , edge sealing , etc -it always out performed the Smic .

The biggest single effect is the frontal area , it overcomes all else .

The next biggest effect was the up pipe skin temperature , at lower speeds or when stopped it rose dramatically as it got heated by the radiator - the IAT followed after a lag time .

The stock rubber/plastic piping was way better than the aftermarket aluminium/stainless , I tried wrapping the pipe , better but not what you would expect - it still heat soaked , the space available is not enough to get a suitable insulation layer over the pipe

Cheap FMIC vs branded FMIC - the difference was negligible , both in pressure drop and IAT and recovery times .

In the end I fitted a twin cooling system : a charge cooler welded in to the up pipe post the FMIC and pre throttle , despite the inefficiency of the charge cooler (they need maximum temp difference inlet / outlet to become efficient ) the result is the coolest most stable IAT you can get ,no matter what the external situation with a negligible boost drop .

Water injection also worked well.

BPU IAT vs stock IAT was always mitigated by forward speed the faster you went the closer the two temps became ,so if you want to go round and round doing donuts at BPU - don't !!!