The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Coil Packs - routine change out or leave alone?

rider

Its time to change out the iridium plugs next year (NGK BKR7EIX) and I'm wondering whether it'd be worthwhile doing the breather pipes, coil packs and clips at the same time seeing they are all original 22 year old components?

With coil packs and clips are they best left alone till they fail or is it worth spending say £200 on NGK alternatives or £400 on OE Denso replacements (from USA, they are £650 in the UK)? Also with the clips is it best to just replace the housing or go for the pigtail option and solder onto the loom wiring?

Hoses you'll almost certainly need as they tend to split. I'd personally leave the coil packs, under the if it ain't broke don't fix it category, I have the pigtails from someone on here who was getting rid of a load they had, but no direct experience of replacing the clips either way. I recently did the plugs on one of mine and the clips were in very good order. Going to do the plugs on the other soon and might not be so lucky there!

Appreciate the input gents. I'll leave the coils as is and just get the plugs and hoses and buy in a set of pigtail clips in case any give up when disconnected from the coils. The plugs haven't been visited in almost 10 years so things may have got themselves brittle in that time.