The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Supra NA acceleration?

Luki

6.7 seconds was the best I got on my NA 5spd to 60mph, recorded with a calibrated race-technology accelerometer. It was on a closed road but had good tarmac and was flat. I did many, many runs and this was the best time. Mostly it was in 7.5-8.5 without seriously abusing the clutch.

This was with

- 22degree air temps and a very dry road

- Stock wheels and standard sized tyres.

- Nearly new Falken tyres, a fairly soft compound

- TRD LSD diff (This helps a LOT with the launch)

The 6.7s time was done by massively riding the clutch with a 5k rpm launch. The clutch slipped through 1st and it stank afterwards, but it was the only way I could get it to do that time on the road.

Day to day my wife's 320D BMW is the quicker car A to B. The NA Supra is really compromised with it's low torque (by modern standards) and is not so fun to drive in straight lines. Corners & braking are another matter :)

Hi guys

I try to figure out what acceleration has Supra MK4 NA?

I found two different information. One says it's 6.8s to 100km/h and second says 8.0s to 100km/h.

So witch info is correct?

Hard to say. North America magazines did get 0-60mph in 6.0 and 6.2 second when car was new and they were good drivers. Now cars are old and drivers are soft :D

MikeJZA80 i think is a forum member and here is his video about his little bit of modified n/a sup

YouTube video. Grain of salt and so on.

6.7 seconds was the best I got on my NA 5spd to 60mph, recorded with a calibrated race-technology accelerometer. It was on a closed road but had good tarmac and was flat. I did many, many runs and this was the best time. Mostly it was in 7.5-8.5 without seriously abusing the clutch.

This was with

The 6.7s time was done by massively riding the clutch with a 5k rpm launch. The clutch slipped through 1st and it stank afterwards, but it was the only way I could get it to do that time on the road.

Day to day my wife's 320D BMW is the quicker car A to B. The NA Supra is really compromised with it's low torque (by modern standards) and is not so fun to drive in straight lines. Corners & braking are another matter :)

I think most people don't realise that the makers figures are achieved by test drivers that abuse the hell out of the car to get the best figures possible, and in no way reflect the real world figures that you get on today's roads.

Like you i found my replacement for my Skyline, a Civic diesel way quicker point to point with the peak torque much more accessible being at lower RPM.

Hard to say. North America magazines did get 0-60mph in 6.0 and 6.2 second when car was new and they were good drivers. Now cars are old and drivers are soft :D

MikeJZA80 i think is a forum member and here is his video about his little bit of modified n/a sup

YouTube video. Grain of salt and so on.

If I remember correctly, I cheated a bit on the second run and had a bit of a hill to help me :p

Somewhere in the region of 6 seconds seems the best you can get

This was with

Detailed response there :)

I'd love to see how quick my NA-5 goes to 60 but I'm also afraid of killing the clutch. My company diesel Insignia would murder it 0-60 and probably a lot more. But who cares :)

I think most people don't realise that the makers figures are achieved by test drivers that abuse the hell out of the car to get the best figures possible, and in no way reflect the real world figures that you get on today's roads.

Like you i found my replacement for my Skyline, a Civic diesel way quicker point to point with the peak torque much more accessible being at lower RPM.

I also forget to mention the car had an uprated clutch as well... It may not have helped the times too much but probably it's the reason it still has the same clutch today :)

Fully agree with you. I also struggled to get below a 5.5s time on either my TT 6spd or single 6spd on road tarmac. I know better times have been proved in the right conditions and sometimes race track tarmac or sticky tires, but it's hard to get the times the manufacturers or magazines claim in the real world. That's the same for all cars, well, unless you have 4wd and/or modern traction control

My NA hooks up pretty well with the following:

Cusco 1.5 way diff

4.27 ring gear from an SC300

Spec stage 3+ clutch

Pilot sport 4's in (I think) 285/30/18

W58 gearbox

Meister R GT1 suspension

The difference to how it was before I added all that stuff is night and day. Previous set up was stock everything on 255/30/18 rear tyres and Bilstein/Eibach suspension.

Anyone know if there are any decent android apps for timing it?

Detailed response there :)

I'd love to see how quick my NA-5 goes to 60 but I'm also afraid of killing the clutch. My company diesel Insignia would murder it 0-60 and probably a lot more. But who cares :)

Last sentence hits the nail on the head!!! Who care's?

An NA Supra is about looking and feeling good at the wheel, not heart stopping acceleration. It's certainly no slouch and is fun to drive but don't go picking fights! ;)