The mkiv Supra Owners Club

The USA Importing Our Supras

KamaSupra

I doubt it'll make much difference either, but you never know. In any case, in any place, there will always be a buyer(s) for a stronger market price, it's just a case of finding them.

Jakes point being a prime example where his car was at the NEC over a few days in a hall full of thousands of car enthusiasts who all had a "personal viewing" of the car. That's a very different situation from advertising on PistonHeads or the like and convincing interested parties that travelling to view the car, especially from afar, is worthwhile.

Anyway, I'm sure we'll all be in a better position when it comes to selling regardless, even if the USA importing simply helps maintain the UK status quo prices.

Would we drive a lhd drive supra probably not ,not to mention why would they want a UK weathered example. The supra to buy to export would be a bone stock tt6 hard top lhd out of the EU.

Big single 6spd , brembo brakes , ecu, diff , hard top already in the states sold for £42k http://r.ebay.com/x8njgp

Aero's even cheaper out there I saw a 1000hp fully forged buy it now for 30k UK money 2 months ago.

ok someone that has had an offer from the states give us a ball park figure

Annoyingly neither of the 2 people from the States offered me a price, one asked if I'd sell my Supra and export it to Alaska? The other from Las Vegas just asked how much I'd want for my Supra? I just replied saying sorry but I am not looking to sell, besides prices are on the up so it's best to keep hold of it till it's at least 25 years old in my opinion.

I get regular messages from people on the forum and through Facebook asking me if I want to sell or to let them know if I do. Funnily enough, I got a message just this evening asking if I am looking to sell my Supra :D

What do you have at the moment? Is it just down to the M5 and 993 now?

Pretty much, have a range rover too, but that sold last week and awaiting pick up, got sick of the electrical problems!

Through what I've had over the years I've realised what my perfect 'fun' car is and it needs to be manual, with turbos in some form and RWD. The 993 is manual but NA (and is becoming more of a collectors item than being driven) and the M5 has turbos but with DCT and fits the family in.

A 996 or 997 GT2 fits the bill some what and found myself looking at those.

Edited by Littler (see edit history)

Pretty much, have a range rover too, but that sold last week and awaiting pick up, got sick of the electrical problems!

Through what I've had over the years I've realised what my perfect 'fun' car is and it needs to be manual, with turbos in some form and RWD. The 993 is manual but NA (and is becoming more of a collectors item than being driven) and the M5 has turbos but with DCT and fits the family in.

A 996 or 997 GT2 fits the bill some what and found myself looking at those.

Been looking at Range Rovers myself for when the Merc goes off lease, but I'd be looking at ones out of warranty and tbh the thought of ongoing repair costs terrifies me on one of them. A GT2 would be a hell of a car, I'd be worried about Porsche prices at the moment though, they are inflating so fast that it feels like they are at bursting point, I can't see how the market can sustain it.

Been looking at Range Rovers myself for when the Merc goes off lease, but I'd be looking at ones out of warranty and tbh the thought of ongoing repair costs terrifies me on one of them. A GT2 would be a hell of a car, I'd be worried about Porsche prices at the moment though, they are inflating so fast that it feels like they are at bursting point, I can't see how the market can sustain it.

I bought mine (which was more for the wife) new is 2015 and it still had problems (it is the sport not the full sized one), engine/comfort etc was spot on but there was always a light popping up! Apparently however my dealer said it was a loom issue which has been resolved from late 2016 cars, but it won't be part of any recall.

Everyone has their price, money talks ;)

PM on the way, there's no harm in asking!

I bought mine (which was more for the wife) new is 2015 and it still had problems (it is the sport not the full sized one), engine/comfort etc was spot on but there was always a light popping up! Apparently however my dealer said it was a loom issue which has been resolved from late 2016 cars, but it won't be part of any recall.

Yeah, I'd be looking at 2013ish models, probably have to re-mortgage to run the damn thing.

What I do keep coming back and looking at though is a Golf GTi, borrowed a friends last weekend and had a whale of a time, quite like those new clubsport ones as well, fun, comfortable, cheap to run, great for city use, they really do seem to get all the boxes ticked.

Guest touringteg

Hello from Victoria BC Canada! First post :)

I recently purchased a 94 Supra RZ TT auto J-spec (JDM / Jap) silver 139kms, hard top, no spoiler. It was a grade 4.0 imported to Canada in May 2016 and is in excellent condition. I am bringing it back to stock with OEM 17" wheels etc. Even though it is auto it is a fantastic car! The car lives up to the hype. There were only about 300 MKIV Supra's sold in Canada's so they are very rare. Even seeing a RHD version is exciting.

I am interested to see if Americans will import Supras once they are 25 years old. (Canada is 15 years so there are plenty of RHD cars here.) LHD models are expensive and I agree that RHD models will not be worth as much. I do believe RHD models will be worth more than they are now. Die hard American collectors will have no interest but RHD imports will provide a cheaper entry point for enthusiasts who dream about owning one. Talking to importers in Canada, prices in Japan have been climbing on Supra TT (6 spds especially) for the last year or so. I've read on Supraforums that at least one American has already bought one in Japan and is storing it there.

I researched how much Americans are paying for R32 GTRs right now. Give you an idea the value of RHD TT import in the USA. US dealers have imported them and have them listed around the $21-25k USD range. Canadians are also trying to sell their Skyline GTR's to the USA.

Example: https://seattle.craigslist.org/see/ctd/6007644375.html

Just for kicks here is a 95 Supra TT 6 spd RHD for $19k CAD ($14,500 USD) located in Alberta Canada. Questionable mods but it is a 6 spd.

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/red-deer/1995-toyota-supra-twin-turbo-6-speed/1235351851?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

Keep in mind that the car must be 25 years old down to the month. Mine can be exported to USA Feb 94.

Edited by touringteg (see edit history)

Guest touringteg

Thank you! BC generally uses brine (a mixture of salt and water) and in other provinces like Ontario and Quebec rock salt is used.

We have a similar climate to England. Most years we don't get any snow.

Edited by touringteg (see edit history)

In Ireland we used to use grit on the roads and you could always tell a uk import because they would be rusty under the car compared with Irish cars, however the last 5 years or so we have started to use salt and it is not good at all, wish they would go back to gritting.