The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Diff upgrade options

JackyBoi

I've gone for the 3.133 US spec ratio just as its closer to the JDM spec. I spin up to easy anyway lol

That's the best ratio, ever wondered why yank cars are so fast?;)

I have a 3.6 ratio on the M3 and trying to figure out how I can get a 3.1, looks like I may be able to use the e36 evo diff which is 3.15

Edited by JamieP (see edit history)

It's not rocket science dude, wheel turns faster and the car goes further down the road with each gear. Close ratios are good on low powered cars, but a supra (especially a single powered supra) has more than enough grunt to pull the gears.

Yea but why would it feel faster but not be faster? Or do you mean over a longer distance?

There are various factors that come into it, and it depends on what sort of driving you're doing. For example, closer ratio will increase acceleration through the gears, but will also mean you are changing gear more often. This can have a profound impact on quarter Mile times for example.

There is also a school of thought that says that the wider ratio diffs help the turbo/s to spool up faster due to increased load, though I'm not sure how true that is, and wont pretend to understand :)

My main issue with running the auto diffs with a manual box is it makes the car less usable for general driving. It increases cabin noise, and reduces cruising mpg as the engine is revving more.

That's the best ratio, ever wondered why yank cars are so fast?;)

I have a 3.6 ratio on the M3 and trying to figure out how I can get a 3.1, looks like I may be able to use the e36 evo diff which is 3.15

Thanks Jamie, Its been a head ach this, nice to know using a new 3.1 final gear drice with a new OS Giken and SRD prop I should notice a difference, a well worth while mod..

• 1 month later...
Can now thoroughly recommend a 1.5 way diff. I went with the Cusco, but oh my god is it a world of difference. It just grips and grips and grips now, I'm genuinely astonished at the difference between the torsen and a 1.5 way.

Does it make any noise or wheel hop when you turn a corner

No wheel hop at all, little bit clunky on the clutch in first at full lock (but that's probably because I'm still getting used to driving with it). The only place you will get noise is in a car park I reckon; on the road it's absolutely fantastic, you can feel it push you round corners where the back end would previously have started to wobble. It's like cheat codes, seriously.