Tom's 98 Red Facelift VVTi TT6.

BoostJunky86

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

Coilovers now fitted up,

Huge thanks to Baldy for popping round and helping :-)

Didn’t take any pics as I want to let it settle a bit then tweak heights.

Will post up some hopefully in a week or so

Fingers crossed get my bumper painted and car back together [emoji4]

Edited by BoostJunky86 (see edit history)

• 2 months later...

Hi All!

Another quick update

Massive thanks to Baldy giving up his Saturday(or 3 or 4 now) to get my parts sorted.

Was never a fan of the TopSecret front bumper and they skirts had some marks that wanted sorting

So over the past 3-4 weeks when time allowed Si has been getting my stuff ready/painted/polished:

New OE front bumper

New facelift bumper bar

OE sideskirts

RMM lip

Have also fitted new crash bar, foam new fixings, new arch liners, new side markers and Toyota badge

Although the shade has proven difficult I’m going to run it this summer, with the EVO and 8 month old finding time is quite hard without the wife screaming [emoji23][emoji23] so after a few stone chips I’ll likely re do it, but im also thinking next year to look at a full repaint

Only took a quick pic until it’s back together and in daylight

Hi All!

Another quick update

Massive thanks to Baldy giving up his Saturday(or 3 or 4 now) to get my parts sorted.

Was never a fan of the TopSecret front bumper and they skirts had some marks that wanted sorting

So over the past 3-4 weeks when time allowed Si has been getting my stuff ready/painted/polished:

New OE front bumper

New facelift bumper bar

OE sideskirts

RMM lip

Have also fitted new crash bar, foam new fixings, new arch liners, new side markers and Toyota badge

Although the shade has proven difficult I’m going to run it this summer, with the EVO and 8 month old finding time is quite hard without the wife screaming [emoji23][emoji23] so after a few stone chips I’ll likely re do it, but im also thinking next year to look at a full repaint

Only took a quick pic until it’s back together and in daylight

https://jza80.mkivsupra.net/imports/2018/05/116.jpg

Its finally coming together, much nicer front end than before, and so much nicer without a front plate

Edited by baldy (see edit history)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

First real use of the car this year with holidays, ring trips and the EVO absorbing all my funds.

Wings and Wheels at Dunsfold Park.

While mrs was busy it seemed rude not to take the little one in the Supra for the first time.

Who’s said they’re not practical [emoji23][emoji23]

• 1 year later...

Just realised I haven’t updated my thread for a while May aswell do it with this extra time at home.

If anyone interested that is.

12 months all in one post so may be a bit long

Since last time..

Time to try and remember it’s barely covered any miles mind but few bits changed here and there, and try and put it in order

Borrowed Baldys bc Advans/888’ to see how it felt on 18”

Last pic of the two the two together before EVO sold. Ran supra around on my spares for a while to test fitment as such and see how I liked the look of wheels as TE37’s were a consideration.

Took a trip to Driftworks to test some measurements and to look at some options after being told the ones I looked at wouldn’t clear my brakes.

Couple of hours with the lads saw me pull

The trigger and go ahead and order my new wheels - 12 weeks wait here we come!

February so plenty of time for a ring trip in July.(so you’d think)

Decided Exedy triple had rattled on me enough and this came up at SRD for a half decent price so picked up an as new HKS LA twin

EVO was gone now so time to focus on supra and some little jobs I wanted to sort

Rear wheel bearings had shown a slight amount of play so decided these would be done, order new bearings

After some research decided to go with Titan ARB’s so got those ordered from Whifbitz

Ordered new droplinks as it made sense at

Same time as ARB’s

New speakers ordered, after fitting these in the EVO I knew what I wanted to fit in here after finding they’d fit,

Ordered some Dynamat to go with it too

Braided lines and new fluid ordered to for when brakes get done, fronts already had braided but rears were still OE, image

By this point it was May. Not much was a girl au fitted yet but finally the wheels had arrived. So excited

Until they only delivered 3 boxes

Some phonecalls later someone from Driftworks came back after weeding through DPDs various excuses the final wheel was due to arrive day!

Anyways. Next day - image

To my surprise it did in fact arrive.

Opened a box or two as you do happy with my purchase and how they look

First time I’ve had wheels that wide image

Started to panic 295’s were maybe to small and I’ve not got tiny hands they’re 11.5”s lol

Wheel/Tyre Specs

Work Emotion CR 2-piece

18x10 ET44

18x11.5 ET52

Concave faces front and rear

Satin brushed lips

Matt black faces

Black flat style centre caps

Work open ended nuts in red and Black

Tyres

Michelin Pilot Sport Cup2

265/35/18

295/30/18

Loaded them into the van and dropped them down to SL Restoration as I was running short on time who kindly sealed them That evening ready to get tyres on. (Note the condition of top box below)

Anyway long sorry short found a flat spot and a scratch on one of the wheels - not happy with a refurb as they wouldn’t look perfect and why should I theyre brand new and not cheap particularly they ordered a new wheels but I had to pay £250 for this one(cheap but not what I wanted to be doing) because with the wait was worried that I wouldn’t have a wheel for my ring trip and they wouldn’t order the new one without sending this back - at this stage I wasn’t all that impressed with their service after being so good before ordering - anyways

Anyways. Got them all fired up at our office about a week or so later

Whilst fitting/balancing the tyres I found flat spots on ALL 4 - how DPD did it I don’t know

In fact 2 wheels had two. Couldn’t believe it and was starting to really regret my decision.

After some phone calls/pics/videos back and forth give Driftworks their due. They saw me right.

At first they weren’t even going to really do anything as if fitted tyres, but they soon understood what I was feeling as I was now £100 out of Pocket sealing them, two days off work waiting for couriers etc and a days leave from travelling to Northampton to use our demo bay so it was starting to frustrate to say the least to still have no wheels the boys were pretty good once we’d spoken about it all and changed courier had them collected on a day I

Could do after removing tyres, ordered replacements as soon as they could and were really good at keeping me in the loop re they’re arrival as I’d not really got wheels for Supra now as the Spares off evo weren’t going to be available for much longer

So with more waiting I cracked on with the rest and cheering myself up with some new bits from Toyota image

Around 10 days and £1100 later I’d got some new bits(some not pictured)

Headlights

Ashtray

Window control switch R/H

Rear Arch grills

Rear arch fuel tank guard

Handbrake surround

Plastic door cards screw covers

All new nuts/screws etc

Ordered a few spares to as I had 2 missing behind dash so popped those back in place too.

Set about fitting rear speakers, the boxes would be better but this will do for now :)

Dynamat on brackets and in rear quarters, (still tempted to do under rear bench and a little in spare wheel well too)

Got the rear hubs stripped at this point although didn’t take pics, all new bearings pressed in with some assistance from Baldy. Swapped over on a Saturday Morning and back on the car later that day. One job sorted

Following day got the ARB’s and Droplinks fitted as it was axle stands still,

I striped out diff and dropped this down to Abbey Motorsport. It was due a fluid change but I wanted to checked Over to see if it could be adjusted to be a bit more road friendly.

So apart it came, couple of new nuts from

SRD and adjusted a touch. Filled with oil and back it came in only a week or so image

As it has been all cleaned up I though why not

Took out shaft and some of the arms and gave them a rub down and a dusting of sting black paint - should have taken pics here

Diff back in and rear of the car going back together. New ARB’s were in refitted the rear calipers with the braided lines and new pads(found some fast road/track Performance friction pads rather than the redstuff that were currently in(never been impressed with the EBC)

Front pads arrived so got those fitted(yes calipers need a damn good clean up(they’re probably being refurbed this winter anyway)image

Headlights now also fitted. Dropped them to SL restoration and had them wrapped in PPF and coated to try and give them the best lifespan o can being both protective against UV should help against discolouring etc.

Also a Stick on plate ordered just incase I get any problems running without one - especially in Germany(pic removed as I can only upload 20)

So with it all back together now and still no wheels in site I was starting to get a little worried driftworks said 2-3 weeks and it was mid June. - ring trip was 18th July - nail biting time

I’d managed to keep hold of the Rotas for but didn’t fancy throwing it around on track with 255’s Pzeros and spacers on(just not a fan)

But at least if I had to I had wheels.

Brake fluid flushed and brakes bled it’s back on the deck and ready to drive out.

But first things first, I’d spotted a new steering wheel I really liked so they got fitted(please ignore the mess around it [emoji23] 3 cars being stripped/checked/prepped in the same yields lots of ‘stuff’ [emoji23]

Clutch still needed fitting and alignment needed doing desperado I’d have all the rear apart(striped lots of nuts/bolts out to clean and make sure they’re free and added a Dab of copper grease on a few to add seizing long term)

Continued.......

So contacted Mark at Abbey re last few jobs as I was again running short on time and due to go to Dubai Shortly(booked long before but wasn’t expecting to still be doing bits like this that last into going)

Jobs to do:

Engine Oil/filter

Clutch

Gearbox fluid

Diff was done already

Alignment

Whilst there I had asked if he could check mapping as it’s always had a slight intermittent idle problem.

To which I’ve changed all sorts now, but it’s liveable. Just a little frustrating when it idle slow.

Had a look. Without redoing the F-Con he couldn’t change anything, he said it’s leaner than he’d like on high boost as it

Will get used on track, low boost is fine so to stick with that

Power graph below on low boost - 1.0 bar he said

That was it really for that chunk of changing bits

Other than these wheels.

So to finish up. I’m due to be meeting convoy to head to the tunnel at 3am on the 18th.

It’s the 8th. Starting to worry now.

Quick phonecall to driftworks to check as they’d said maybe this week on last email

They confirmed that I may actually get them this week and could be lucky and have them

Friday as they’ll check them Over and courier them next day.

Nervous about the courier(and with my dad only 45 minutes away and aware the stress Is had them did what dads do and offered to help) we arranged my dad would collect and bring them to me they would call as soon as

They had them on site.

Week goes by. Friday - nothing arrived. No fault of driftworks they chased for me and said they’d do everything they could do get them

I’d at this point accepted they wouldn’t be here in time and set about at least making the car more presentable(not that it was bad) and with the trip the following week the Mrs knew I’d prob be busy with car so had a weekend to kill, a slightly swirly supra and a clear unit. So did what any of us would and cracked out the cleaning gear [emoji23][emoji23]

After a full clean down and just a light single stage enhancement and a few coats of Mitchell and Kings Aurora wax on the Sunday it was ready to go. So tucked it away till Wednesday when I could collect and load up ready to go.

Monday morning comes, driftworks call

Wheels are there. All seem perfect

Now excited and panicking - got to get them , get them sealed and then get tyre on -

Lots of phone calls later - dads on his way. I’m off half day to meet him at Oxford to collect

Ring office to book demo bay -

Wheels being reversed mounted and tyres not easy to fit I wanted to again do them myself on a really good tyres changer and we supply a few of the best. I didn’t want any dramas this late in the game

Demo bay was already booked out - at this point panic struck. Anyway. Booked in with

One of my customerS who had the same

Machine, sorted. Plan was in place.

Picked wheels up from dad at about 2 pm

After a quick coffee shot home - swing past SL restoration about 5:15 to drop wheels off with the intention of going back after getting the Mrs from work

Got back to SL at about

6:45 wheels were coated (Max protect V1/V2) and infra red cures and boxed back up ready to go [emoji23] had chat for a few mind went home

Ready to get tyres on following morning.

So

Head out to sort tyres.

Arrive at customers. Makes me make the coffee while they sort a car out quick and for using his workshop.

Go to for tyres. No reverse mount flange - kinda the reason I wanted to use it [emoji2359][emoji24] they’d misplaced it, so now panic.

Picked another customer I know well but it always flat out and asked - he said yes but after 12 was now only 10am his price.

Get two crates of beers for the lads - local Asda here I come [emoji23]

So after all that. I finally had my wheels - all mint, Coated and tyres fitted and balanced

Now to get them on the car and how they fit and my research was correct!

Not really ideal finding out a day ahead of a 3am start to Germany but oh well. Luckily all was well fitted fine and ready to go.

Car was clean, Wheels were now on, car loaded, pressure and levels checked. Ready to go!

Barely took pics of that last process but here a few of after

After a fair bit of running around and a good whiskey to get me to sleep 3am arrived

Below just a few pics from the trip

Had so many pics taken was very shocked

So much attention it was Odd

This one (pictured)guy tried to pay me to take him round the block in it, shame we were going him as I was tempted to drive down to the gates and take him round!

Epic trip though and awesome to spend some time in car, they are such great cars, bit of a barge on track still (after EVO) but so capable and hands down the best drive over there and back I’ve ever had. Chews up miles so well. Fuel cost stung a touch but we don’t buy them for MPG [emoji23]

That to honest other than an odd drive out or meet thats was about the last time it really got used in 2019 :(

Thanks for reading

Tom

On to than year

Not a dramatic year again tbh.

Still no facelift ashtray so may just order a new black gear surround for now :(

So I found the Racelogic I’d bought last year and the Line Lock kit

SARD Sports cat and Blitz 2nd decat removed one place of this titanium number image

Racelogic maybe later on, possibly looking at a different route now.

Decat swapped over pretty quick. Not a huge difference in sound but should help flow, host seems to be the same as before also which is a bonus so kept in low and used a a few times.

Line Lock - I’ll get round to it someday [emoji23]

Noticed temps rising in Germany so god a great deal on these so will

Hopefully get these fitted at some point but with no tools at home these jobs have proved difficult so just give up. I’ll wait till I can use my unit again.

25 row for engine

10 row for power steering

New Air Filter fitted,

(Excuse it being slightly squashed already it was a slightly tight fit and my buddy was to heavy handed)

Extremely frustrating!

Bay is also quite dusty. On the to do list

New centre console latch fitted as mine broke.

New Cigar lighter bulb fitted

Whilst tinkering with bits like this replaced the rear bulbs and boot light bulbs with LEDimage

Next job has been to sort the wiper arms out as they’ve been bugging me for a while now so it was about time I got them sorted.

Beforeimage

Removed, media blasted, primed and painted in satin black for an OE finish to match the scuttle

After

Weirdly satisfying that one!!

Next decent task was the underside. It’s not a daily driver and as much as I say no garage Queen it fully is. It’s normally tucked away with a little dust on it on a trickle charge

But I had dedided ages ago I wanted to give the underside a once over and clean/decon under arches

So set about doing just that

Started with the rear. Fronts still to do, but will hopefully tackle that this weekend

Started with getting as high as I could and wheels off

Gave everything a good soak in snow foam mixed 50/50 with a good all purpose cleaner applied, left to soak for 10 minutes, repeated twice more whilst I cleaned rear wheels thoroughly and topped up coatings

After a good scrub, tar remover where required

A light fallout remover over everything and a good rinseI set about happy that’s the cleanest I could get everything sensibly.

Next job was to just top up the stone chip on inner arches and underside where necessary

So rear arches etc stone chipped/waxoiled where necessary

Then set about coating the rest in AFC-50 to prevent rust on anything else.

Few pics,

Whilst wheels were off I raised the ride height a touch as it was a tad low for how I wanted

Raised by 10mm, nice and easy on the GT1’s. Purely height adjustment without messing up anything else. So easy to do!

Wheels all back on. Moved onto the fronts just to raise height

12mm on fronts image