The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Am I mkiv material?

Juvett

About £46.68 per square inch of car.

You also forgot the Length of Twine and the cube root of Fuzzy Felt. Factor in the Elon Musk complex and only the insane, foolhardy and those born within the ripple radius of an Essex church ever attempt such craziness.

Hi all,

Just found this online (also on pistonheads). From what he put up there the car seems great but I was wondering if anyone knows the car or the guy selling it.

Not a fan of the big cloth hanger he has on the back but hey, you can't have them all.

Any opinions/advice welcome.

http://www.classicandsportscar.com/classifieds/classic-cars/toyota/supra/toyota-supra-3-0-non-turbo/5207614

Hi all,

Just found this online (also on pistonheads). From what he put up there the car seems great but I was wondering if anyone knows the car or the guy selling it.

Not a fan of the big cloth hanger he has on the back but hey, you can't have them all.

Any opinions/advice welcome.

http://www.classicandsportscar.com/classifieds/classic-cars/toyota/supra/toyota-supra-3-0-non-turbo/5207614

Looks like it has potential to be decent..

The only things that struck me as odd from reading through it are:

- Claims he has a full veilside bodykit, but it dosen't. Looks to me like a mix of ridox front bumper, non veilside skirts, trial rear bumper and veilside spoiler. Seems a little strange that he doesn't know that (could just be ill informed)1

- For a car that has a "eat ya dinner off" engine, I'm surprised to see that he hasn't put one picture up of the engine bay

- No mention of why the bonnet is discolored compared to the rest of the body panels.

- He is lying about the mileage, the MOT history says he has done 108'000 miles.

If you can see the car in person and it is in running order, and the receipts are legit then I would say with some minor work you could have a decent supra to start with. I'd offer him less purely because of the spoiler though :p

Maybe you can find someone from the forum to go with you if you do go to look at it one day?

Looks like it has potential to be decent..

The only things that struck me as odd from reading through it are:

- Claims he has a full veilside bodykit, but it dosen't. Looks to me like a mix of ridox front bumper, non veilside skirts, trial rear bumper and veilside spoiler. Seems a little strange that he doesn't know that (could just be ill informed)1

- For a car that has a "eat ya dinner off" engine, I'm surprised to see that he hasn't put one picture up of the engine bay

- No mention of why the bonnet is discolored compared to the rest of the body panels.

- He is lying about the mileage, the MOT history says he has done 108'000 miles.

If you can see the car in person and it is in running order, and the receipts are legit then I would say with some minor work you could have a decent supra to start with. I'd offer him less purely because of the spoiler though :p

Maybe you can find someone from the forum to go with you if you do go to look at it one day?

Cheers Mike,

Appreciate the answer. I noticed the points you made as well - also mentions small damage to front bumper but I didn't notice any in the pics. Mileage - may be due to the engine swap he mentioned.

Not expecting it to be perfect but the price as opposed to my budget would allow me to sort out bits and bobs.

If anyone on the forum could help me with a viewing that would be awesome - I have to admit that despite reading the new buyers forum it is very likely to miss some very obvious things.

I'd be interested to know why a 60k ? mkiv needed a new engine fitting as the original was "beaten" also how many miles has the

new engine done, are the new tyres cheap budget rubbish or something worth fitting ?

WTF is a clutch and gearbox test ?

I doubt very much its completely rust free and I'd like to see the receipts adding up to £1000's

Ask the seller if its had any suspension parts replaced or the geometry set up, the suspension bushes on the eccentric camber

and toe adjusters have a habbit of seizing solid after 17 yrs. This quite often means you need new arms and they're not

that cheap, There's 6 lower arms with eccentric adjusters and the cheapest I think is over £100

Ask if the new brakes includes calipers, if not at the least they will more than likely need refurbishing as they tend to seize up

after this period of time as well.

Old rads and heater matrix will also be prone to failing

Edited by Dnk (see edit history)

Thanks Dnk,

Looking again over the ad, the comments so far, bodykit (not my first choice), DVLA has it as a 96 he claims its a 99, mileage...might be best to keep my eye on the forum and maybe something comes up.

Unless I am very lucky and someone around here actually knows the car I doubt I'll even make a call.

Again, appreciate the answers guys.

Thanks Dnk,

Looking again over the ad, the comments so far, bodykit (not my first choice), DVLA has it as a 96 he claims its a 99, mileage...might be best to keep my eye on the forum and maybe something comes up.

Unless I am very lucky and someone around here actually knows the car I doubt I'll even make a call.

Again, appreciate the answers guys.

Whatever and wherever you look be cautious, this club has seen its fair share of members who will happily stitch you up

a fair few members run these cars on a shoestring budget, not all get cherished and loved

As a guide if you replaced all the suspension arms you'd be into around the price of this car by the time

your finished

Good luck with your search and happy to look at cars if they're in my area

Whatever and wherever you look be cautious, this club has seen its fair share of members who will happily stitch you up

a fair few members run these cars on a shoestring budget, not all get cherished and loved

As a guide if you replaced all the suspension arms you'd be into around the price of this car by the time

your finished

Good luck with your search and happy to look at cars if they're in my area

Appreciate the advice and offer. You never know might actually keep you to it :D

I also go with my gut when it comes to cars - with the current one I kept looking and searching but when I saw the one I currently have it only took me 2 seconds to decide. Went to see it the same day and drove it away and hour later. Looking back I was a bit stupid - saw the car at night, the guy was selling it on behalf of his brother and was giving the turbo a thrashing from cold but luck has it in over 2 years I never had any issues with it so maybe the gut feeling works.

I'm in no rush to get one. I was going to wait until later in the year as I quit my job without anything lined up but luck has it that I'll be starting a new one at the end of the month so can now grab one should it come up.