The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Auto Box Oil Change

Tomyspeedy

I've done a fair bit of searching both here and google but i'm having a hard time finding the basics of an auto gearbox oil change. I'm not after a full flush just a change of 2 litres.

Any advice?

I've managed to find the removal and installation for the e340 box..but none the wiser on an oil change.

Working on your back with only one pair of hands that are covered in ATF discourages playing with cameras.

Nevertheless, Evin X took a pic of me doing this very job when I changed the pan filter and gave his transmission a full flush, but it was his job to start and stop the engine and only snapped a Jazz1 standard photograph. .

It's not rocket science, one line is flow from transmission to cooler and the other is return from cooler to transmission, whichever you take off will let ATF out.

The trick is catching the ATF in a bucket without it going up your sleeve. :D

Edited by David P (see edit history)

You take the sump off to change the filter ;) although seems pretty pointless if you don't change

all the ATF

Why bother at all if your only changing 25% of the ATF and not doing the filter

Well Toyota made it that way for continual servicing, if the regular 2l changes have been/are carried out then the filters life will be extended and its mess/hassle free?

Well Toyota made it that way for continual servicing, if the regular 2l changes have been/are carried out then the filters life will be extended and its mess/hassle free?

I doubt many got done even on cars with full service history

Interested to know how many miles the OP's car has done and does it have any history

showing the atf has been done as per the service schedule

What cooler is it on the dipstick ? pull it out and wipe onto clean white cloth

Edited by Dnk (see edit history)

Fair point, but unless your fluid is really bad you can catch up with a few changes, depends on your view on cost vs effort. If you do a 2l change then a few thousand miles later another, some of that previous new and barely used aft will re drained back out, so it'll cost more that way but relatively easy to do. Swings and roundabouts.

What is probably even more certain is that hardly any will have had a filter, so if you have the time and inclination the full 'David' flush and filter, with 2l changes afterwards is probably a good long term ownership plan.

I think it really depends as you say on the condition of the ATF, the colour is a pretty good guide and I've seen a few

that were borderline rusty dark brownish colour and for me i'd be doing a complete change inc filter if that was the case

Don't have the current service history with me but the car has done 116k miles and the gearbox fluid was dark red in colour. Took near as damn it 2 litres after cycling through all gears and checking with engine running and gearbox in neutral.

Used a sealey multi purpose mini pump to get it in the dip stick tube.

• 7 months later...