The mkiv Supra Owners Club

How much am I looking at?

Guest seanh.

Never had a RWD car and you want a TT6 Supra? Better buying a cheap 200sx and making your mistakes in it

I'm sure if treated correctly, the Supra will be fine for going out on a dry Sunday.

I'm sure if treated correctly, the Supra will be fine for going out on a dry Sunday.

Pretty much this. TTs aren't this super-dangerous car that everyone makes them out to be, as long as they're driven somewhat sensibly. I had an MR2 turbo as one of my first cars with zero RWD experience, didn't plant it around every corner and magically... I never crashed it!

How will you know what correctly is for a very powerful rwd car if you've never driven rwd before? Correctly as in drive it like your granny or correctly as in how to appropriately and proportionatly correct an oversteer event?

You've got to be some sort of idiot to not know when you're pushing a car a bit too much for public roads. I'm sure he'll cope just fine.

Not necessarily, i dont think there would be anyone on here could say that never once has their Supra stuck the tail out unexpectedly. Im just trying to get him to think about it. As a first rwd car a 15k+ supra is not an appropriate car nor is it likely he can afford to fix it easily if it all goes pear shaped hence better buying something cheaper to learn in

How will you know what correctly is for a very powerful rwd car if you've never driven rwd before? Correctly as in drive it like your granny or correctly as in how to appropriately and proportionatly correct an oversteer event?

As with anything, you get used to it I'm sure. I know the basics of correcting oversteer etc.

However this is why I'd like a standard one ideally

Even BPU it isn't that bad. I can confidently say I've never had the back end out without driving a bit like a tit. They're not supposed to slide. I'll admit I may be a bit more cautious when I get my car back (going for ~600hp single) but that's only because I haven't driven it in a while.

What you save on the purchase price will easily make up 3 years plus of the difference in insurance when looking at jspec vs UK spec.

But whatever people think of the suitability of a Supra for a first rwd car, tbh it is unlikely you will get a UK spec manual anyway, unless you're willing to wait a matter of months or even years.

Through them being written off, exported etc, I doubt there are even more than 30 manual UK specs left in the UK. The j spec manuals, which are rare enough, outnumber the uk's many times.

What you save on the purchase price will easily make up 3 years plus of the difference in insurance when looking at jspec vs UK spec.

But whatever people think of the suitability of a Supra for a first rwd car, tbh it is unlikely you will get a UK spec manual anyway, unless you're willing to wait a matter of months or even years.

Through them being written off, exported etc, I doubt there are even more than 30 manual UK specs left in the UK. The j spec manuals, which are rare enough, outnumber the uk's many times.

It'll take me a good couple of years anyway so I have plenty of time to get looking.

In that case, get yourself something cheap and rwd in the meantime. An E36, mx5, soarer etc are all cheap to buy, and perfect for getting used to rwd. :)

MX5s are great fun. I had one as a runaround for a while, if I had the space to keep it I would have! Fun handling, enough power to get by and looks good (If you get a MK1 or a particularly nice MK2 ;))

Definitely good for learning how the back end of RWDs work, I'll say that much :D

A cheap MX5 is a possibility for using to mess around in, as you say would be good to get used to RWD but then again every car has different characteristics

how???

How??? Well with a standard car you cant hear nearly as well when the turbo is spooling, the crossover onto the second turbo, you have no idea what your boost readings are at any point in the rev range hence you have no idea really when the second turbo kick is coming unless you've driven one before. Depending on the above the pickup will be much more subtle and therefore harder to feel and therefore given the nature of the torsen lsd you have absolutely no idea really when the diff is going to lock and slide out from underneath you and is therefore much more likely to catch the inexperienced supra driver out

My first car was a 1600 Corolla FWD , I bought my TT Supra 2 years after; like anything you need to take time to get familiar with it ; I never had any mishaps or close calls , respect the power and common sense will keep you out of trouble, if you are unsure , do not take the risk

I know of a guy who bought a TT Supra , dropped 1K on getting T belt done etc, took delivery of her Saturday , wrote it off by Sunday; he was on the motorway torrential rain , dropped it into 3rd , revs shot through the roof , rear locked , tank slapped the barrier ; he said in his 1.6 BMW 5 speed when he dropped it in 3rd it just went ; I suppose laws of natural selection kicked in.

He paid 18K back then on the road , insurance gave him 4K (Open market value) , he had a nice 14K 5 year loan to pay off and nothing to show for it , what a plonker !

Edited by Jellybean (see edit history)

My first car was a 1600 Corolla FWD , I bought my TT Supra 2 years after; like anything you need to take time to get familiar with it ; I never had any mishaps or close calls , respect the power and common sense will keep you out of trouble, if you are unsure , do not take the risk

I know of a guy who bought a TT Supra , dropped 1K on getting T belt done etc, took delivery of her Saturday , wrote it off by Sunday; he was on the motorway torrential rain , dropped it into 3rd , revs shot through the roof , rear locked , tank slapped the barrier ; he said in his 1.6 BMW 5 speed when he dropped it in 3rd it just went ; I suppose laws of natural selection kicked in.

He paid 18K back then on the road , insurance gave him 4K (Open market value) , he had a nice 14K 5 year loan to pay off and nothing to show for it , what a plonker !

I'd say that was just common sense haha! I wouldn't drop it into third and plant it in the wet in my ST and that's only 235ish bhp... Yes it's only FWD and all it would have done is wheelspin, never mind in a 325bhp Supra

There's probably more BPU uk's than stock ones now, and as I'm sure your research on Supras will have told you by now, BPU cars drive very differently to stock.

If you come into a corner in the wrong gear, and end up with the car at circa 4000rpm before its straightened up,you will have a brown trouser moment :D

BPU on sequential turbos can be very tricky.