The mkiv Supra Owners Club

New interior suggestions

bayside_supra

The bloke Jurgen gets to retrim seats does the fronts for £450 in proper leather no pleather $#@! he does the different colour stitching included IIRC if your bolsters are kaput I'm sure the guy will fit them no problem while he trims them.

Should come in way under budget assuming bolsters arnt silly money to buy?

Not to pi$$ on your bonfire but I had mine done by Jurgen's chap a couple of years ago and they're not proper leather in the traditional sense, they are pleather. They are the lowest level cut of the leather with predominantly a plastic embossed covering. I know this as one of my bolsters wore through and I took it to a leather restorers who talked through and showed me proper leather versus my 'leather' on the seats, including pulling the plastic covering away to demonstrate. Don't get me wrong, the seats look superb and the quality of finish is excellent - I actually sent my seat back to Jurgen's chap to get my bolster repaired - and I'm very happy with them but for £500 this is what you get (the same as you'll get anywhere). Proper leather would be double that cost.

I'd still get seats done again by Jurgen's chap in a heartbeat - they are great value.

Not to pi$$ on your bonfire but I had mine done by Jurgen's chap a couple of years ago and they're not proper leather in the traditional sense, they are pleather. They are the lowest level cut of the leather with predominantly a plastic embossed covering. I know this as one of my bolsters wore through and I took it to a leather restorers who talked through and showed me proper leather versus my 'leather' on the seats, including pulling the plastic covering away to demonstrate. Don't get me wrong, the seats look superb and the quality of finish is excellent - I actually sent my seat back to Jurgen's chap to get my bolster repaired - and I'm very happy with them but for £500 this is what you get (the same as you'll get anywhere). Proper leather would be double that cost.

I'd still get seats done again by Jurgen's chap in a heartbeat - they are great value.

Awwww man thats not good I had a set of pleather Raceland seats in my last car :rolleyes: the bolster wore through in 2 months the new Audi ones and BMW ones I use are just awful they feel coated in plastic although the new S5 seats feel the same as these Supra ones lovely nice supple leather no plastic feel.

How long ago did you get yours done out of curiosity ellis I got these done in 2013 and they still look and feel new..

These are the nasty S-line pleather seats that the Vag scene love :rolleyes:

These S5 ones feel much nicer soft touch stuff same feel as the ones in the Supra.

Supra Ones done by Jurgen (only pictures I have atm)

That^^

The Supra name stitched in looks very Max Power 90s get them trimmed all black leather with black stitching and perhaps the Recaro name restitched in a Blue to match your car.

Simple-Classy you will be swimming in bitches ;)

Thanks for the advice. This is exactly what I thought it might look a bit tacky with the Supra logo.

I will go with Recaro logo then. The seats are going to be black Andrew Miurhead leather with perforated centres and blue stitching. They are already with the trimmer so thanks for the recommendation but can't use them now.

Only decision I have to make is if the logo should be white like the OEM ones are or blue to match the car and the stitching. What do we think?

By OEM I mean this.

The bloke Jurgen gets to retrim seats does the fronts for £450 in proper leather no pleather shit he does the different colour stitching included IIRC if your bolsters are kaput I'm sure the guy will fit them no problem while he trims them.

Should come in way under budget assuming bolsters arnt silly money to buy?

Also the Leather the bloke trimms them in feels much better quality than any of the standard crap that Recaro put on.

Recaro seem to like using that nasty pleather that Audi put on S-Line seats.

Fun fact: proper automotive leather has a vinyl surface to it. In fact, all quality upholstery leather does. It's this vinyl surface that has the grain pattern debossed into it. Even automotive Nappa leather isn't "true" Nappa - it simply has an incredibly fine grain debossed into the surface to mimic the surface of lambskin Nappa.

Factory leather from most of the major car manufacturers (aside from the really high-end ones, of course) is notoriously cheap quality... probably something to do with there being many thousands of their cars to be trimmed in the stuff.

If a trimmer can do a pair of front seats in full leather for £450 then they're either not paying themselves much of a wage, they're using super-cheap materials or they're getting the new covers made in China and just fitting them! I'd imagine either option 2 or option 3.

A full hide of leather is around 55 square feet on average, and that will trim a pair of front seats with maybe a small amount left over. Andrew Muirhead leather, which is found in Aston Martins, Jags and British Airways First Class cabins, is typically £265 per hide, plus VAT and delivery.

Then you have the cost of the thread. And the foam to back the new leather panels with. And the adhesive. And the embroidery costs. It all mounts up...

Thanks for the advice. Glad my leather choice is clearly the best option. I think I am going to stick with the factory look and go for the Recaro logo in white. The stitching will be blue throughout with perforated leather seat centres, the only thing that won't be blue will be the Recaro logo.

I think this with blue stitching....

Will look better than this...

I have just bought the exact seats but all leather. You can't the blue ones anymore. Recaro don't do them, they don't do anything with blue. The only way is to get a retrim.

To give you an idea of the all black leather Recaros in my blue Supra, I only fitted them the other day.

Edited by a98pmalcolm (see edit history)

I have just bought the exact seats but all leather. You can't the blue ones anymore. Recaro don't do them, they don't do anything with blue. The only way is to get a retrim.

To give you an idea of the all black leather Recaros in my blue Supra, I only fitted them the other day.

http://i.imgur.com/8fNduPt.jpg

Unless you paid about £1k per seat, they're not real leather. They're Ambla leather, which is a synthetic material.