The mkiv Supra Owners Club

can't decide? Na 5/TT auto

Bio73

I was in the same predicament as you not so long ago and decided to go with a TT auto with a built engine which gives me plenty of room for more power etc in the future. I never intended to keep it auto, so over the last few months I've been slowly gathering parts for a manual conversion. I've decided to go for the R154 gearbox, as I know of plenty of cars over here running around 700lb/ft of torque drifting them with no bother. I just simply couldn't afford a V160!

If you are after power and have a decent budget just go straight for a TT, if you can afford the insurance & can spend a bit more so you don't get one with issues.

If you just want a supra that will be cheaper to buy and cheaper on insurance go for an NA.

My NA5 has been fine for me in the time I've owned it.

The power bug does come after you after a while though but it's a good place to start.

Think I will have to sort a TT auto then :) I can push to about £5k for the car and still comfortably afford insurance that sort of price range more of where I need to be at? I'm mechanically minded so don't mind something that might need a little doing to it. There anything really important to look for on the auto supra anything to stay away from other than the usual?

With that budget, I'd be looking for as tidy a pre facelift auto as I could find. Maybe something That has some paint defects, but try and avoid rust. Maybe something that needs some interior work.

£5k is difficult budget to work with, because you could either buy an immaculate 5 speed na or a lower end of the market auto. Tough choice, but I would probably go with the NA. If you could raise your budget by £1k or so, I'd definitely say the TT auto.

Think I will have to sort a TT auto then :) I can push to about £5k for the car and still comfortably afford insurance that sort of price range more of where I need to be at? I'm mechanically minded so don't mind something that might need a little doing to it. There anything really important to look for on the auto supra anything to stay away from other than the usual?

Some auto tt's don't have lsd's which isn't ideal if you want to mod.....but used ones are generally available to swap in.