The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Boats

tooquicktostop

have a look on here Dean,

25k won't really get you much, possibly an early Bayliner in the 30ft range for 6 berths, petrol single engine boat

I have done a lot of research into similar types of boat.... at least 60k for a good twin engine diesel

petrol boats are cheaper, but poor resale & fuel availability can be patchy with petrol

you do know that boat stands for..............bring on another thousand:p

http://www.ybw.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?14-Motor-Boat-Forum&order=desc

Lots to list and look at boats are nothing like running cars at cruising speed a 32 ft sports cruiser returns roughly1 nautical mile per gallon then factor in most 32 foot weekenders have twin engines the fuel bill is crippling for the blissfully unaware.

Your going to want twin diesels for a sports cruiser etc of 6 berth size as again anything further around the country than Ramsgate Petrol is unavailable on marina pumps.

A decent twin engine 2008-9 6 birth 32ft cruiser will easily fetch 70-80k it will depend entirely on what you want but personally anything smaller than 32ft will be too small as a weekender..

You can get allot more for your money buying a budget brand like a bayliner etc as mentioned but you will be looking at an older boat with allot of hours on it- (boats measure usage in engine hours not miles on an odometer)

25k is basic bow rider money nowadays if your looking at near new

Make a few picks and do thorough checks throughout like an old car buy on condition not hours they are just a guide.

If you buy second hand you must insist on either a sea trial or freshwater trial things like Engine Legs on stet drives are very expensive to fix-replace feel for vibrations from gimble bearings etc etc the list is endless it makes buying a car look like buying a box of Cheerios.

There is a saying on the boat i work on.

It will always cost money to run, maintain, more than any car could.

Quite a few people charter to make a bit of money back to cover mooring fees but it depends how affluent the area you have it moored in is usually.

This might be too small for a weekend boat but they are willing to take an offer and the spec seems good, only one engine though which is a risk?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Bavaria-29DC-cuddy-2-berth-sportscruiser-/231672884075?hash=item35f0c7ab6b

Single engines are a pain in the ass to control at low speed docking etc even with bow thrusters fitted twin engines can be easily docked without touching the steering wheel.

I wouldnt be put off by petrols they are excellent and they are easy to maintain etc just thirsty but as mentioned thats a given with boats it depends entirely on where you would use the boat the whole south coast is rubbish for getting petrol the other year my parents drove from Newcastle to Plymouth and had to pay people to run them to the supermarkets from the marinas a few times with extremely large fuel cannisters haha.

Volvo Pentas are good but I find the parts for the legs are not as readily available as there Mercruiser rivals.

be aware most diesels are twin supercharged and twin turbo if something goes wrong well you get the picture where as the petrol counter parts are N/A and usually generic marine converted GM Big Blocks which can be fixed with a hammer haha.

owwwww and Petrols tend to have twin fuel filters and independant fueling so if your out at sea and one engine packs up generically the other petrol engine keeps going where as I have found most generic Diesels use single fuel systems and filter for both engines hence one engine goes they both do..

I only mention this as the most common breakdown is due to fuel contamination via water ingress.