The mkiv Supra Owners Club

How did you decide what Supra to buy?

Guest TheRedViper

I wanted a gunmetal 6 speed originally, but went for the rare GZ aerotop and done quite a bit of work to it to get it how i want it.

My 3rd supra also.

First was a silver tt aero

2nd was a silver tt 6 speed

and now mine.

You see the car you like within your budget, take a look at it, test drive it, fall in love with it, buy it, and never look back! :D

Simples.

Exactly the same here :D

It's funny how what you want changes, e.g. I wanted a (any year) gunmetal grey RZ TT6... Saw they cost £15k so out of budget, ended up with my Tiptronic facelift TT in silver-grey. Very pleased with it too!

We've had some similar discussions about this topic recently. Ultimately it depends on what your end goal with the car is. Do you want to go single turbo and push 500-600bhp? Do you want to go TT BPU at around 400bhp? Or are you wanting a lot less than that, for example an n/a? OR are you wanting, eventually, a 1000hp fully built and forged car?

Depending on your answer depends on what car you buy. Everyone will argue the TT6 is undoubtedly the favorite as it is the cheapest to upgrade (in terms of adding power) vs an auto or an n/a, but the downside is that it is the most expensive to buy in the first place. If budget isn't a massive problem for you, I say look for a clean TT6 import as they are cheaper than the UK, tend to have less miles than the UK, tend to be better looked after than the UK's and also tend to come with some small modifications already. From here you can start getting used to a stock 320bhp RWD Supra, and *when* you want more power it will be a hell of a lot easier for you to achieve it :D

I was looking at S14a's and other Jap turbos as I didn't think I could afford a decent Supra. Went on PH one day and saw a facelift SZ-R up for sale an hours drive away from me. Went down and bought it, best decision ever :D

Supra's and R34's were always the cars I wanted the most. So quite happy I've got one a lot earlier than I thought I would :D

For me, i had wanted one for a while, had some money but the insurance prices killed the idea for me.

Ended up spending the cash on building my track NA MX5.

However, the urge for one never went away.

12 months later, i came on here, got insurance info, sold the MX5 and started hunting.

All just in time to snatch up a J-Spec NA Auto as a late birthday present to myself.

I didnt care on the trim or spec, just wanted one...! lol

I agree you should get what your heart is telling you. The TT6 will always hold its money, don't be worried about paying that little bit more if the funds can stretch.

I suppose I'm the luckiest 17 year old on the planet, as my TT6 is sat waiting for me. I will be taking my test in 3 weeks and cant wait.

Your more than welcome to come along and poor your heart out over my supra TT6, maybe my dad will give you a little passenger ride.

Best of luck with your search.

All this just makes me want one more. I guess if the manual is the one I really want, I shouldn't get the auto just because it's cheaper.

My only reason for wanting a UK spec car is insurance, however I can stretch that, especially as it can be paid monthly. Still have to sell my car and there's always the option of a small bank loan if I see the car I want;)

I wanted a manual but missed out, insurance was the biggest downfall when i initilally looked, but you need to shop around.

once i got a quote for my J-Spec with Sky Insurance, i knew it would be a go. 12 months later, i have done a ton of work and mods, all declared and barely knocked the premium up. (I also pay monthly for insurance)

I agree you should get what your heart is telling you. The TT6 will always hold its money, don't be worried about paying that little bit more if the funds can stretch.

I suppose I'm the luckiest 17 year old on the planet, as my TT6 is sat waiting for me. I will be taking my test in 3 weeks and cant wait.

Your more than welcome to come along and poor your heart out over my supra TT6, maybe my dad will give you a little passenger ride.

Best of luck with your search.

You're 17?! Dammit, I thought I held the record for the youngest member with a Supra :(

First saw supra back in the late 90, my uncle had a face lift vvti and my aero top, always loved it since I laid eyes on it, wish I had bought the facelift vvti as he offered it to me back in 2007 for £4000! (but I decided to buy a new 1 series instead!!) He had it parked up for ages. My current one he sold to his brother who drove it now and again and had it parked for 7 years and I picked it up in late 2012. Anyway mine has come a long way since then :)