The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Ceramic brake discs for a Supra. Worth it?

Guest Schermerhorn

I have a friend who had a Porsche 991 TurboS with the optional ceramic brakes.

He did a lot of track days with the Porsche, and had killed the discs and pads within less than 1 year. They charged him 2000 EUR per brake disc and 1200 EUR for the pads ; that made a total of 10.000 EUR of parts.

He sold the TurboS quickly after that and bought a 991 GT3, but didn't take the optional ceramic brakes.

He told me that on track (he does regularly Nurburgring, SPA, etc), he didn't feel any noticeable difference between the ceramics and the standard Porsche steel brakes. He changed his discs and pads recently on the GT3, and the prices were A LOT less !

Good post ^^

Better off getting UK brakes with race pads/disks, and if you feel it's necessary fit some braided hoses and better brake fluid. Whifbitz and Chris Wilson do racing/upgrade brake kits, worth looking into.

I toyed with the idea of ceremic brakes on my car and its simply not worth it.

People tend to forget that the actual brakes are just one part of the fairly large equation of stopping...

I hope that you are also investing heavily on the other parts that matter, and without sounding off here, if you dont know what those other parts are then dont go and spend £10k on something thats going to make no difference what so ever over iron brakes. I would go and purchase pauls AP racing setup, its proven on the track on a couple of cars with more HP than you are planning

Edited by ManwithSupra (see edit history)

My brakes are epic, Brembo gt fronts with uk rears, performance friction race pads, i recently did Anglesey trackday which is way harder on brakes than the ring and the brakes felt and performed great all day.

OT: why do you say Anglesey is harder than the 'Ring on brakes? Surely only if you lap continuously for longer than one tourist lap takes?

OT: why do you say Anglesey is harder than the 'Ring on brakes? Surely only if you lap continuously for longer than one tourist lap takes?

Anglesey has 3 big stops from high speed into tight hairpins plus other corners so the brakes don`t really get chance to recover, whereas at the Ring its fairly flowing with plenty of straightish parts giving the brakes a chance to cool down, all in my experience anyway.

Good post ^^

Better off getting UK brakes with race pads/disks, and if you feel it's necessary fit some braided hoses and better brake fluid. Whifbitz and Chris Wilson do racing/upgrade brake kits, worth looking into.

I had UK's for awhile I am not sure why people rate them so much they are no good for a properly sorted single. I found them rubbish so have a few other members I have spoken to yes I know the stopping distance might not be improved but they don't fade anywhere near as quick .I could get massive brake fade with a couple of stops from 170 down to 40 ish 2-3 times and they were done had decent pads and decent fluid, supra is fairly heavy mine came in at 1690kg, Christ you see bigger brakes on 3litre audi diesels these days if doing it again I think the bargain kit is that brembo 14" kit front and rear setup off the guy in America for 2k the one mike glanza had recently fitted in his thread.

There are plenty of guys in the US who run huge HP and still use the UK brake setup. I have just fitted brand new UK brakes all round to mine, and find they perform very well. I am yet to see a single scrap of information about that 'Brembo SRT' setup to say that it retains the stock brake bias, has improved stopping distance etc. They are also much more expensive than buying a new UK setup.

Value for money, the UKs are hard to beat.

There are plenty of guys in the US who run huge HP and still use the UK brake setup. I have just fitted brand new UK brakes all round to mine, and find they perform very well. I am yet to see a single scrap of information about that 'Brembo SRT' setup to say that it retains the stock brake bias, has improved stopping distance etc. They are also much more expensive than buying a new UK setup.

Value for money, the UKs are hard to beat.

That's because in the US all they are interested in is drag racing how often do you use brakes I went out in JP's black beast you seriously would not want to be running stock UK's on a big HP car and drive like he does. All I know is what I gained from personal experience with UK's as I said before even if stopping distance does not improve the point in which they fade would be different ,if stock brakes are so good surely company's like brembo ,ap,ksport,kad,stoptech, would be out of business by now.

Why would the bias be any different to the brembo 14" kit that mvp sell for 4k which look like the same calipers? I am pretty sure brembo did not make a one off caliper for a supra its the same one that's fitted to the AMG's as well, mvp do not sell it with a bias controller so who is to say that is the same as the stock bias?

The only reason i switched from uk`s is i couldn`t get the pads i wanted for them, ask me if i`d go back to uk`s now though, no chance, pedal feel is so much better on the Brembos. you can use full braking power with your big toe.

I want your brakes, first dibs? :D