The mkiv Supra Owners Club

I hate ebay sometimes!!!!

Supra_Nish

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I remember being in the same boat....

I was bidding for an HKS Fcon V-pro.... agreed to buy it for $200 (Yeah, stupidly cheap), after agreeing with the seller, he then mailed back said someone just clicked on the buy it now price and bought it...

Easy come easy go really....

Ah well...

Gav

Well I don't see how you would be in the 1%, not if you really wanted them and as far as you were concerned you won them fair and square!

I missed some uk brakes on ebay a while back, it was my fault, i wouldn't try and make the buyer back down, I wouldn't have the cheek to do that!

Thats the whole point of ebay, you either bid or buy it now, there is no other way the system could work, if you don't like it then don't use it!

TBH you should have either bid and watched the item like a hawk (thats what everyone else has to do) or got the auction ended. You can't change the rules to suit you.

I am sorry that you lost out on this occassion, there will be other times when it goes in your favour, thats the way it goes isn't it.

This is nothing against club spirit! Club spirit is a 2 way thing and I didn't know you were a member initially anyway!

Mate, calm down and take a chill pill.

I would have been in the other 1%, as i would have backed off knowing another club member had set up the deal in the first place.

You may also notice that club members avoid bidding against each other on items out of courtesy.

Yes its not how ebay works, and theres no obligation to do so. Its just a friendly club.

You have the calipers so well done. Let the thread die.

Hey I am totally chilled! dont worry about that :)

Well I knew as much as you at the end of the day and it's all a two way thing. You think I was harsh on you, I think you were cheeky for trying to make me back down lol - we are bound to have different oppinions.

But knowing how much you obviously wanted them, I think had the situation been reversed you would have done the same as me and TBH I wouldn't have even bothered to try and stop you - you probably won't want to admit that, but think about it for a moment.

I agree anyway, it's time for this thread to die. You will find some, I'll keep my eye out on your behalf thats for sure :)

LOL to be fair I don't know how either of you could sleep at night. You are both fully aware that those brakes are worth in excess of £200 in that condition so without wanting to be rude you were both on the rob a bit trying to get in there before anyone else noticed :)

GOOD POINT :nyah:

In fairness I can see 99% of people doing the same thing Chilli did. The seller screwed up and Chilli was in the right place at the right time.

I don't agree with this at all, I'm sure (well hope..) that most club members would hand them over if they know the background. Its all in the spirit of this owners club - we're here to help each other out after all. Guess it just depends how much of a gentleman you really are...

Firstly, I didn't know he was a club member until well after I'd bought them and arranged to collect them!

Secondly, don't you see that’s a contradiction?

If you we a gentleman, you would abide by the rules of the system. It's not like I did anything wrong or cheated after all. I play by the rules and expect others to do like wise. You can't change the rules when it suits you, if only life was that convenient eh!

I've had email conversations with ebay members and then subsequently lost the bid, I don't cry about it, I don't try and make the buyer back down, I just get on with it.

It really is quite simple. When it happens to you, for something you "really" want and have been after for a while, you will understand better I think... It's easy to speculate when it doesn't affect you...

PS: lol well I can sleep at night because the seller was 100% happy to sell them at that price. He was a really nice guy and neither of us were put out by this :p

lol :funny: I agree, we could go around in circles here!

I'd love to feel bad about this, if I'd have known he was a member _BEFORE_ purchasing them _AND_ known he has a _private_ agreement (even though it means nothing) I wouldn't have bought them. However this is not remotely the case, neither of these things were true at the time of purchasing using the perfectly valid "buy it now" button,

lets get over it! I don't think anyone here can change ebay rules for the better or go back in time and make me know stuff in advance...

Ok so you still don't get it!

I didn't know he was a member until I had:

1. Purchased the brakes fair and square.

2. Had a dispute with some unknown 3rd party via the seller, who I though was had a “damn nerve” for trying to make me back out of a deal that was unequivocally mine.

3. Learnt that the dispute was settled.

3. Rescheduled my day and arranged with the seller to go and get them.

and then I saw the thread and put two and two together...

Club spirit doesn't even enter the equation dear fellow. Had it have been a direct dispute between two club members (and I knew that) like I already said, I would have let them go - this is another alternative that could have occurred in an alternative universe, however we don't live in that one! :p

PS: was this one of the deals of the century?

Like I say, I've lost loads of ebay deals, you expect the winners to hand over their goods when the loser moans about it? member of a forum or not? where is the spirit from the other guy, it's a two way thing - you can't have it all one sided!

I couldn't really put a cost on a 3-4 hour round trip drive to go and get them now anyway.

and like I said, if I sell them, he will be the first to know...

wow this could go on for a while.

The point here is a personal one, not the technicalities of ebay.

Like some members on here are trying to say, knowing someone else had put the deal together they would have happily backed off, especially due to club spirit seeing as it is a fellow member. Personally, i would have backed off if it was anyone else, member or not. Hence my post saying i dont like the way ebay is used by people.

Yes, technically you won the auction due to a mistake by the seller but thats not what people are pointing out here.

Personally, you have been burnt by ebay before, like many here. This is where the differentiation comes in, some will carry on trying to use it in a "nice" way and those that will seek to burn others in the same way.

I'm with Chilli on this one, if the deal had been fully arranged then the auction should of been stopped. Even the original buyer (that had arranged a price) didn't even know when the buy it now price was going to be put on, so if then another buyer with no relation to this site had bought them, who would everyone bitch about then? Let it go, you snooze you loose. If you organise a price away from the auction, then STOP THE AUCTION.

Also Chilli, just to let you know, 4 comes after 3.

1. Purchased the brakes fair and square.

2. Had a dispute with some unknown 3rd party via the seller, who I though was had a “damn nerve” for trying to make me back out of a deal that was unequivocally mine.

3. Learnt that the dispute was settled.

3. Rescheduled my day and arranged with the seller to go and get them.

Personally, you have been burnt by ebay before, like many here. This is where the differentiation comes in, some will carry on trying to use it in a "nice" way and those that will seek to burn others in the same way.

I only use it in the proper way, there is no other way! As soon as you make private deals it's no longer ebay, you might just as well have chaos, sorry dude but I'm afraid online trading wouldn't survive the way you suggest it...

As for being such a gentleman, practice what you preach then and be a man and let it go, you lost the deal this time, I won it. As it stands, TBH all this bickering is starting to make you sound like hypocrite now I'm afraid.

Take it as a lesson learnt, you need to get the seller to end the auction or actually make a bid... It really is that simple at the end of the day. I can't be held responsible for your mistake.

Sorry bud, but this is getting dull now, I've explained and justified my position and nothing anyone else has said has been a reasoned argument to make me change my mind, if anything its cemented it now.

I think the vast majority of people would do the same, if you want to be the odd one out then do so, don't expect that your personal view point is the right one though!

4 comes after 3, now that explains a lot ;)