The mkiv Supra Owners Club

MS Windows 10 "reservation"

Chris Wilson

I keep getting a load of marketing stuff asking if I want to reserve a free copy of Windows 10, but reading between the lines I am unsure

if this has to upgrade my existing Win 7 installation, or if it can be installed to a wiped hard drive (on the same machines as Win 7)?

I am happy to try it, but definitely not happy to overwrite a stable OS with all my apps set up on it. I have yet to see an upgrade work as well as a fresh install, anyway!

Thanks.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's what is unclear, whether it needs to "upgrade" Windows 7, thus wiping 7 off the drive. Or whether it checks if you have a licenced Win 7, but allows

standalone installation wherever you choose, leaving Win 7 alone... Clear as mud on the MS sites. Thanks for the reply.

That's what is unclear, whether it needs to "upgrade" Windows 7, thus wiping 7 off the drive. Or whether it checks if you have a licenced Win 7, but allows

standalone installation wherever you choose, leaving Win 7 alone... Clear as mud on the MS sites. Thanks for the reply.

In that context I will assume it will upgrade the current operating system and overwrite the windows 7 files completely :)

I've had this too but won't be taking it on as I've done my reading and it's still got some absolutely crappy layouts and graphics that aren't efficient at all. Fair enough it's got direct 12 buts that's not good enough to warrant me changing.

if its like windows 7 you wont be able to roll back you will get "unable to install windows as you have a newer version" maybe setting up a system restore point. Then updatw to windows 10. play around for the evening and if u dont like run the system restore. But i cant see in any way how your not going to like windows 10. 8 was so turd but 10 is combining all the good things of 7 with a hint of 8..

To stop getting the nagging updates you can uninstall one of the latest updates. Just google which one as there are plenty of discussions on this. The rollout WILL update your current version if you go ahead and install it.

Im going to wait before I update to make sure all the bugs are ironed out. Been running the preview in a VM and like it so far.

- - - Updated - - -

To stop getting the nagging updates you can uninstall one of the latest updates. Just google which one as there are plenty of discussions on this. The rollout WILL update your current version if you go ahead and install it.

Im going to wait before I update to make sure all the bugs are ironed out. Been running the preview in a VM and like it so far.

As I read it, it should download and let you know when it's ready to install. At this point I would do a full backup of your OS drive onto DVD and, if you fancy it, install the update. It may take a bit of getting used to as it will be different, but the fact that the proper desktop is back means I'll give it a proper go this time. It will definitely "overwrite" your current version of Windows 7 and it's unlikely to hold the files required to roll back to it (never say never though). If you don't like it, restore from your DVD backup. Job done :)

OK, that sounds like a plan. I have drive images on tape these days, I just love my cheap LTO tape drive :) Should have discovered them ages ago. New tapes are a fiver each if you watch Ebay, as LTO4 is an older standard. 1.6TB compressed on one tape is enough for me, 800GB in native format.

Although it's marketed as a free upgrade, the license key given out will activate fresh installs of windows 10. So you could install on a seperate partition and use the key they supply to activate. Technically, you're old windows 7 key then becomes invalid and you 'should' remove the old version.

Whether people will or not, is a completely separate matter.

Although it's marketed as a free upgrade, the license key given out will activate fresh installs of windows 10. So you could install on a seperate partition and use the key they supply to activate. Technically, you're old windows 7 key then becomes invalid and you 'should' remove the old version.

Whether people will or not, is a completely separate matter.

Again as I read it, Windows 10 is going to be continually free. Unless something changed somewhere. It's going to be a constantly evolving OS, updating as it does now with no follow on from "10". I read it was going to be a free download regardless, so it would seem that this current message is a bit of a ploy, if that is indeed the case.

The windows 10 is offered to even pirated windows. I think they want everyone to switch.

They do, it's all going to be app based now. Pay by the app, easy to download etc. Very much like the Android/Apple mantra.

Are they actually giving out keys when they upgrade you? At the moment I have chosen to update my 2 microsoft tech net 8.1 installs and my work 7 install but I'll probably yoink the work key for my own ends ;) each to a seperate email address naturally.

What we really need is a 64bit Windows 2000 (the best OS Microsoft ever made) with updated disk support, direct X 12 and all the other goodies.