The mkiv Supra Owners Club

NA turbo options

roddas

Selling is an option but im very lucky and the car stands me virtually nothing, I bought it from my gf's friend who sold the car at a price that covered their shipping costs to move to oz. so even if I bought a tt motor and converted it my costs are still around the same as a decent na would cost to buy

See I don't get the logic here. Surely the amout the car cost you to buy is a positive factor towards selling and buying a TT? You'll make money you didn't have that can go towards the new TT. In fact it makes much more sense to put the profit into a TT, you will in effect get into a TT for less money than most would.

It's false economy to think it's cost effective.

Most people would spend the same money on mods, outwith performance, regardless of which variant they have. That spend has to be discounted as it'll be the same no matter which car they own. If I had an N/A I would still have fitted all the kit that I did, glass headlights, ice system, nice exhaust, wheels, etc, etc,etc. These mods will never be worth what they cost, no matter what you do.

N/A - TT, N/A-T, etc, etc,etc can all be quantified, objetively, by how much it costs to do vs how much it's worth in the end. Most who go N/A-T rather than just selling up and buying the car they want with the power they want regret it.... and for good reason. The best value for money is a manual TT. You can buy one, run it for years and sell it for the same money.

I guess its all down to personal preference. I personally would rather spend money on turboing a car I know than buying a car I know nothing about. But I like the time working on my car as much as driving it if not more. Also fitting the 1jzgte in my NA worked out at less than £200 so was cost effective for me.

Yeah the fact it owes me very little is a positive factor. What I mean is if I placed all the tt running gear into mine the car will still be around half the cost of buying a genuine tt auto. So yeah I could sell it then put another 3000 to it and get a genuine tt auto. Or have a car that does the same job for half that.

Ive been a car dealer for about 12 years now so thats the part of me saying sell sell make a profit but im getting attached to the old thing now.

I would do any work myself or with help from our mechanic at work

It's false economy to think it's cost effective.

Most people would spend the same money on mods, outwith performance, regardless of which variant they have. That spend has to be discounted as it'll be the same no matter which car they own. If I had an N/A I would still have fitted all the kit that I did, glass headlights, ice system, nice exhaust, wheels, etc, etc,etc. These mods will never be worth what they cost, no matter what you do.

N/A - TT, N/A-T, etc, etc,etc can all be quantified, objetively, by how much it costs to do vs how much it's worth in the end. Most who go N/A-T rather than just selling up and buying the car they want with the power they want regret it.... and for good reason. The best value for money is a manual TT. You can buy one, run it for years and sell it for the same money.

Oh yeah in the world of supras this could snowball way out of control and grow and grow.

just seen this on ebay

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TOYOTA-WHITE-LEXUS-SOARER-2-5-TWIN-TURBO-2-AUTO-1-MANUAL-R154-DRIFT-CAR-1JZ-/111588268859?pt=Automobiles_UK&hash=item19fb2ddb3b

For those who also want R154 box i heard there getting rare.

Read into the add more and the manual car is 3k :/

Edited by Hitbox Junkie (see edit history)

I believe they can as its already been done, i would hazard a guess and say theirs some things that need to be modified as i cant imaging its as straight forward as drop out drop in.

It's not. I read quite a few bits need changing. It's another reason why I wouldn't personally go that route as when things go wrong it's something else from somewhere else you need to source from.

Surely if you've got an na that doesn't owe you money, and can tear a gte from a soarer or aristo, you'll be quids in?

When I was looking at using an Aristo 2JZ on my previous Supra, there were quite a few bits that would need changing. Far from impossible, just a bit of hassle. :)

The swap over is actually a relatively simple affair that has been done to death on here. You can get an aristo lump but these days they are not as cheap as they used to be and the hassle factor of swapping over sumps and other niff naff make the cost difference negligible. The cheapest option appears to be the 1JZ-GTE swap by the looks of it if you can do the swap with cheaper labour and then flog the running donor on. The future value of a car like that becomes bespoke though and selling it will require all of your traders skills.

Not sure where David P is lately, I had a very bizarre email from him the other week.

I'm still about, but mostly I am too busy surviving the "bizarre" but true, heinous Civil Service crimes that you should all be made aware of, but I'm not allowed to talk about on here.

Here's the Hybrid transmission Group link for the O.P.

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/group.php?groupid=57

P.S. You need to pay your tenner before you can see the info in the link.

Edited by David P (see edit history)