The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Insurance woes :(

Glanza_Mike

Soooo, i rang up Adrian Flux about 2 weeks ago to get a quote for a Supra when i was looking to buy, they said it would be roughly £1200 (can't remember exact figure)

I've spent the last couple hours ringing around all the normal places and places that seem to be recommended on here now the cheapest price i can find is £1339 with a 1k excess with Adrian Flux :( Sky won't even give me a quote without 1 yrs NCB.

I'm 26 years old, 0 NCB as i haven't owned a car for a few years now, but have been a named driver. I tried Lynbrook but they said i needed to own another car to get a policy.

Any advice? :(

Iv renewed my insurance today. Sky wanted a stupid amount with my 7 years no claim bonus. In the end the wife ended up doing it for me while I was I work. I'm now paying 500 with all mods declared with the wife as named driver. That's with diamond lol.

Iv renewed my insurance today. Sky wanted a stupid amount with my 7 years no claim bonus. In the end the wife ended up doing it for me while I was I work. I'm now paying 500 with all mods declared with the wife as named driver. That's with diamond lol.

That's surprising with Sky. I'm paying £600(ish) with 5 years ncb and I'm not far from you Gareth. Mine is on a limited mileage policy though.

Mike - Is it a second car? If so, try a limited mileage (5k or less) and it will massively reduce the premium in most cases.

Edited by listy (see edit history)

I'm only £600 with sky for everything declared and like for like, 26 years old with 8 years NCB

That's surprising with Sky. I'm paying £600(ish) with 5 years ncb and I'm not far from you Alex. Mine is on a limited mileage policy though.

Mike - Is it a second car? If so, try a limited mileage (5k or less) and it will massively reduce the premium in most cases.

You don't live that close to me Jon :p :p

Don't you have to be a female to get insurance through diamond Nevins? haha Is ur Mrs on the policy?

That's surprising with Sky. I'm paying £600(ish) with 5 years ncb and I'm not far from you Alex. Mine is on a limited mileage policy though.

It's not a second mate no but the mileage was already limited to 4000 as i work from home so no commuting.

I'm only £600 with sky for everything declared and like for like, 26 years old with 8 years NCB

You don't live that close to me Jon :p :p

I guess, the NCB for me is the real killer here isn't it :( Maybe £1350 isn't even that bad with 0 NCB? i don't know, 1k excess seemed a lot though (not that i plan on binning it lol)

Just had everything confirmed, Mrs on the policy too, stated it had alloy wheels, agreed value of £8500 for £306.80 with an excess of £50!! :nana: Compare that to my second best quote of £1309 with a £1000 excess :D

Along with great service on the phone could not be happier and would highly recommend Footman James! Made my day and saved me well over £1000 over any other company. :)

Just had everything confirmed, Mrs on the policy too, stated it had alloy wheels, agreed value of £8500 for £306.80 with an excess of £50!! :nana: Compare that to my second best quote of £1309 with a £1000 excess :D

Along with great service on the phone could not be happier and would highly recommend Footman James! Made my day and saved me well over £1000 over any other company. :)

What Supra have you got a quote on? Import, UK spec etc.

Might be worth trying Zurich?

I know it's different for every person due to age, driving experience, post code etc and generally it can be a lottery, but I went through comparison websites, and I'm 33 with 8 years NCD and got a an import TT doing 12k miles a year for SDP and commuting with all mods declared in a Glasgow postcode.... £401 a year fully comp.

As I said, I think they pick a figure out the air and quote it.

Good luck.

Thanks guys, I presume the last couple of guys didn't read my last post haha

I got quoted £306 fully comp with a £50 excess this afternoon from footman James!! Over the moon with that quote, over £1000 cheaper than anyone else and £950 less excess!

And for Harvard the car I got the quote on is a fresh jap import twin turbo auto :)

Edit: limited to 5k miles a year

I got quoted £306 fully comp with a £50 excess this afternoon from footman James!! Over the moon with that quote, over £1000 cheaper than anyone else and £950 less excess!

And for Harvard the car I got the quote on is a fresh jap import twin turbo auto :)

Ah nice one! Just goes to show what a little searching and perseverance can do!

You said you had a quote for £306 which is why I said give Graham Sykes a try.

Who is Harvard?

Anyway. I am surprised with Footman James as when they took over AON, who I had my NA with, my premiums went through the roof with zero no claims. They must have changed as they didn't do classic policies either.

H.

Ohhh I see! Apologies! I already tried graham Sykes before and it was no good, I'm stunned I got it for £300 as it is to be honest so I snapped their arm off as soon as they gave me the quote :)

As long as everything is covered in writing and they haven't got the wrong car or your details wrong, crack on with it. Good price that with zero no claims.

If you do enough ringing around you will always find a deal. I have spent full days getting deals and saved hundreds of pounds, I then got a phone bill for the same amount...!!

Haha, yeah I was worried about that! I was making sure to call the 'mobile friendly' numbers as much as I could and avoiding the 0800 ones as I know they are extra on a mobile and I don't have a land line. I hope I don't get raped on the bill now :(

That, although unfortunate, would make me lol..!!

Then again, to get through a grand as a phone bill would take some doing.