The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Buying a supra - need advise

JackyBoi

Okay, I think I'm asking the wrong question...

If YOU (yes you, the person who is reading this post right now) had no car and had a budget of £10,000 to spend on a Supra, not including tax or MOT or insurance or anything else, which Supra would you buy?

I fully appreciate that I am essentially going from a 1.6l naturally aspirated FWD hatchback to a 3.0l twin-turbo RWD coupe, but I have plenty of off-road experience with racing, I assure you I can control a RWD car. Maybe no a Supra, but practice makes perfect, does it not? :D

Oh the innocence of youth

Guest Nicholas

Also bear in mind that we're now in june, by the time you find one, buy it, get used to it it'll be SHIT YOUR PANTS winter time :D

Cheep na for 3k. Some professional driving lessons. And then save the rest for when you hit "oil" and have to have it unbent from a tree.

I don't know where you are getting a single turbo conversion for an na for 5k from. You might get the turbo. Exhaust, manifold, intercooiler and misc bits but you need the fueling and ecu to go with it which could be another 2k. And if it's not a 6 speed already (rare) your going to need one. Which is 3k on it's own. And I wouldn't want to run small na jap brakes on a single... Usually people budget 10k and I don't think that includes labour.

I also. After having a 5 speed na. Uk auto bpu and 6 speed single. If I were to sell the single would go back to a bpu auto. The 6 speed is good with the single. But it's a pita in traffic. The auto is so smooth and responsive and combined with the bpu gives you a real kick in the back

Edited by Guigsy (see edit history)

Okay, I think I'm asking the wrong question...

If YOU (yes you, the person who is reading this post right now) had no car and had a budget of £10,000 to spend on a Supra, not including tax or MOT or insurance or anything else, which Supra would you buy?

I fully appreciate that I am essentially going from a 1.6l naturally aspirated FWD hatchback to a 3.0l twin-turbo RWD coupe, but I have plenty of off-road experience with racing, I assure you I can control a RWD car. Maybe no a Supra, but practice makes perfect, does it not? :D

I'd get a nice low mileage club members facelift BPU auto for around the £7-9k mark and then save the change for fuel and speeding fines :D

I'd get a nice low mileage club members facelift BPU auto for around the £7-9k mark and then save the change for fuel and speeding fines :D

This. If down the line you decide you want a bit more power, save up for a single turbo and 6 speed.

I sold my last supra to a young kid like your self and he gave it all the ohhh yer I know how to drive blah blah blah like what you have said!!!!

He had it 2 hours and wrote it off

Why you ask well he had all this driving know how

Blah blah blah like what your saying but the supra still taught him a lesson

Unless you have been doing it since a young age then the supra isn't for you mate as you can only have been driving on the road for a year maybe and driving a fast car on the road isn't the same as driving a fast car of road

Think hard before buying a supra mate ;)

C'mon, guys, the way people are talking here it makes it sound like every time you turn the key in a Supra you take your life in your hands...! :rolleyes: Unless you're a COMPLETE idiot right from the word go, it's a car at the end of the day. One that needs a bit of respect and time to get to know, granted, but give the kid a break...

To the OP: if it were me, I'd do exactly what I did 6 years ago and buy a stock (or as near to stock as you can find) TT6. I get what you mean about the auto'. Everyone raves about it and although I've never driven an auto' Supra, I've been for a passenger ride in a single turbo'd auto and it is indeed very quick. BUT... Like you say you don't, I just DON'T WANT ONE. If that's genuinely how you feel, inexperience or not, stick to your guns and get a manual. Yes the clutch is heavier than your average Euro-box and it can be a pain in traffic, but who cares? I love having the say over when my gears change and I don't intend to alter that sensation any time soon. :)

You're not going to get an NA-T conversion done for £5k either so forget the idea.

So there. Buy a TT6. They're for winners! :trophy:

Good luck on the hunt (and getting insurance!!!). ;)

If it were my son buying a car there is no way I'd let him in a Supra, not even an n/a. High performance cars are a death trap for young people, especially those with just one year experience on the road.

At 18 you have another 50+ years driving ahead of you. What's the rush?

Get some years behind you, on normal roads, with normal cars, first. There are too many dead and maimed teenage drivers out there, and plenty of innocent people have been killed or maimed by teenage drivers too.

Classic example here

Edited by hogmaw
Link added (see edit history)

If it were my son buying a car there is no way I'd let him in a Supra, not even an n/a. High performance cars are a death trap for young people, especially those with just one year experience on the road.

At 18 you have another 50+ years driving ahead of you. What's the rush?

Get some years behind you, on normal roads, with normal cars, first. There are too many dead and maimed teenage drivers out there, and plenty of innocent people have been killed or maimed by teenage drivers too.

Classic example here

Couldnt of put it better myself

Also make sure you take into the account of maintainance. You don't want to really skip this area. Suspension components will easily set you back over £1k alone just on parts. After buying both my Supra I spent on average £3k just on things like changing coil packs, oils, suspension, etc. half decent tyres will set you back at least £600. Things like this you need to budget in rather than buy and then be strapped for cash.

I was in the same position as you 13 years ago, I ended up waiting till I was 21 to buy a tt6 and I'm pretty sure that even though I wasn't completely reckless in the car,(I had respect for it from day 1) if I had paid out a stupid amount for insurance at 18 I'd have crashed it, been banned (most likely) or worse. N/a or tt its too much at that age on the road and a waste of money, it's not about driver skill or anything here, but the urge to put your foot down and do stupid things takes over as a teenager let alone your twenties.

If I could do it all again, I'd have forgotten the supra for now, saved the majority of the money and bought something rwd for track use/drifting or a lower powered rwd to replace your corsa(eunos or bmw) and don't spend ££££'s on the insurance. It's not what you want to hear but I've been there and done it, I seriously regret not working my way through the ranks of rwd cars and starting off with much cheaper cars.

Though my best advice would be to not bother with a second car, keep your 10k locked away till you're 21, save £400 and do a drift tuition day at santapod, do that a couple of times, then reassess then, there's no rush.

Cars will take over your money from this age, I've wasted a sh*t load and it's screwed me completely now,save towards buying a property where you can have a nice drive/garage to play around with cars on for years to come :)

Last point as I really don't want you to make the same mistakes as me, if you've not saved that 10k yourself then you'll have no real regard to that sort of money in your account and how long it takes to save and appreciate it, I wish I had given myself the challenge to double it before spending a penny.

Edited by Tom (see edit history)

• 2 weeks later...

This guy. This guy knows! At the end of the day, it IS just a car. Yes, it's very powerful, very expensive and most definitely extremely tricky to drive, but I'm not a chavvy boy-racer who will crash it within the first year. I'd take all the time in the world servicing it myself, cleaning it, looking after it, and most importantly, respecting it. I've saved over 16k all by myself now, and as I've always been taught in life; if it's YOUR money, then do what YOU want to do with it.

Instead of buying loads of prostitutes and drugs like most teenagers would if they had that kind of money, I'd rather settle for a classical sports car which I can keep for years and years and years to come. I've been looking at hundreds of Supra's now, and am soon settling on a very clean, totally unmolested TT6 from 1999. Very nice car :)

Investments my friend. I put away (realistically) about 80% of ALL of my money and invest it into companies that are on the rise. I know most of that kind of stuff from my dad who makes almost all of his money by simply having money in the first place; that way its guilt-free money since it comes in on top of anything else you own, therefore I could spend it on absolutely anything I want and not feel guilty about how much money it is or where it comes from! :D

Investments my friend. I put away (realistically) about 80% of ALL of my money and invest it into companies that are on the rise. I know most of that kind of stuff from my dad who makes almost all of his money by simply having money in the first place; that way its guilt-free money since it comes in on top of anything else you own, therefore I could spend it on absolutely anything I want and not feel guilty about how much money it is or where it comes from! :D

Nice, go get your dream car :D

C'mon, guys, the way people are talking here it makes it sound like every time you turn the key in a Supra you take your life in your hands...! :rolleyes: Unless you're a COMPLETE idiot right from the word go, it's a car at the end of the day. One that needs a bit of respect and time to get to know, granted, but give the kid a break...

To the OP: if it were me, I'd do exactly what I did 6 years ago and buy a stock (or as near to stock as you can find) TT6. I get what you mean about the auto'. Everyone raves about it and although I've never driven an auto' Supra, I've been for a passenger ride in a single turbo'd auto and it is indeed very quick. BUT... Like you say you don't, I just DON'T WANT ONE. If that's genuinely how you feel, inexperience or not, stick to your guns and get a manual. Yes the clutch is heavier than your average Euro-box and it can be a pain in traffic, but who cares? I love having the say over when my gears change and I don't intend to alter that sensation any time soon. :)

You're not going to get an NA-T conversion done for £5k either so forget the idea.

So there. Buy a TT6. They're for winners! :trophy:

Good luck on the hunt (and getting insurance!!!). ;)

Well said mate. Just like me, even if its faster - an auto just doesn't give me the full driving experience I would expect from any car let alone a supra. If I could start again, I would just buy a TT6 from the get go, saves a lot of hassel searching for parts, modifying things, buying aftermarket parts, so much time and money will be invested in that, its an endless pit.

Mine is an N/A, and the first time I ever drove it, yes it put a huge smile on my face, but I thought to myself - man this is nowhere near as fast as I thought it would be. Now im about to go down the NA-T route, and its just long, so many variables and so much to learn.

You can get an NA manual 5 speed for anything between 2k-4k, you can turbo the NA for under £3k, but you need to do most if not all of the work yourself, and get pretty much all parts second hand - on the cheap. Only then you have a chance of saving money. But at around 400bhp, you'll be stuck because of the limit of the W58 5 speed gearbox, you'll have to upgrade to a 6 speed, which will set you back another 3k.

Eventually you'll find you mod the NA so much, spend so much money - that in essence its really a TT that you have singled. So you might as well just wait and buy a TT6, get it in stock form first - then once you are used to it, BPU it, once you are used to that - single it. Sorted!

Edited by SupraP-Z (see edit history)

I'm also a newbie at 18 in regard to all this, but I would add that going from my 2.0 Celica to an n/a auto supra there was still quite a noticeable difference in power and handling and it completely changed my view on the auto box, I was very negative towards it too at first but after driving one I felt like an idiot for saying it would ruin the driving experience and after being taken out in a built single at a meet, they most definitely are not something to be disregarded. Have you considered the SZ-R route? 6 speed N/A but then a base to build to whatever power you envision in the long run, maybe a bit more costly but a fun journey. Massively jealous of your budget btw :blink:

I'm also a newbie at 18 in regard to all this, but I would add that going from my 2.0 Celica to an n/a auto supra there was still quite a noticeable difference in power and handling and it completely changed my view on the auto box, I was very negative towards it too at first but after driving one I felt like an idiot for saying it would ruin the driving experience and after being taken out in a built single at a meet, they most definitely are not something to be disregarded. Have you considered the SZ-R route? 6 speed N/A but then a base to build to whatever power you envision in the long run, maybe a bit more costly but a fun journey. Massively jealous of your budget btw :blink:

I've always liked the thought of getting the SZ-R and being able to start completely from scratch, but I personally think the best route is to find an unmodified, unmolested TT6 and for the first part of driving just have BPU done to it. I was looking into the HKS GT2835 twin-turbo upgrade and I must say, for the amount of horses that come shooting out the exhaust, I may have to get it upgraded almost instantly :D

I've been put off the idea of having a ridiculously huge single-turbo Supra. I'm more into street performance cars that can deliver high torque and power to the wheels through the entire rev band, not just one huge spike at 4000rpm which then sends you into another dimension. Although saying that, I'm sure if I had that kind of 'spare' money, I'd still totally go for it ;)

And don't be jealous; I've been saving almost all of my money ever since I was a little kid. My passion has always been cars and racing, and all those years of living with no disposable money will soon pay off!

By the way, no that anyone would be interested (I don't think) but I'm going to be starting a progress thread of my Supra from when I get it right up to whenever I decide enough is enough. You'll probably see it floating around this page within this year!

I've always liked the thought of getting the SZ-R and being able to start completely from scratch, but I personally think the best route is to find an unmodified, unmolested TT6 and for the first part of driving just have BPU done to it. I was looking into the HKS GT2835 twin-turbo upgrade and I must say, for the amount of horses that come shooting out the exhaust, I may have to get it upgraded almost instantly :D

I've been put off the idea of having a ridiculously huge single-turbo Supra. I'm more into street performance cars that can deliver high torque and power to the wheels through the entire rev band, not just one huge spike at 4000rpm which then sends you into another dimension. Although saying that, I'm sure if I had that kind of 'spare' money, I'd still totally go for it ;)

And don't be jealous; I've been saving almost all of my money ever since I was a little kid. My passion has always been cars and racing, and all those years of living with no disposable money will soon pay off!

By the way, no that anyone would be interested (I don't think) but I'm going to be starting a progress thread of my Supra from when I get it right up to whenever I decide enough is enough. You'll probably see it floating around this page within this year!

Limiting your disposable income always pays off in long run, I'm very much the same in regard to being passionate about cars (especially supras of course) and saving money for a goal, only things iv ever bough where a ped at 16 and my car at 17, a better phraseology would of been that I'm massively jealous of the investment knowledge and opportunity's you have been able to capitalised on, I wish my parents where as keyed in on current market trends ect :)

Hp and tourqe do seem ever so addicting, have never experienced anything like the supra I went out in, it gets you hooked lol

regardless of your route ill be sure to keep an eye out for you progress thread :thumbs: