The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Octane Booster

basch32

Hi guys,

I am currently looking at experiementing with octane booster to try and get our shitty 95 (Rep. Ireland) closer to 100 for use in my supra. I have been looking at the NF Octane Booster and I came across this one Bardahl BSF Racing Octane Booster which is suppose to be very good.

Do you guys have much of an opinion on these? And no I cant move to England though I would if I could was so ncie running v-power on the contienent :(

Thanks,

Barry

I take it you have a TT? If you don't then why bother 95RON is more than sufficient.

In regards to octane boosters, I was always advised they are rubbish and filed under the "they seen you coming" box. A more experienced mind will no doubt clarify better than me.

95 will be fine on a stock TT. If you want an octane booster you'd be better off finding a supplier for Toluene.

Nope I have a single turbo and its got two maps one for 95 and the other for 100. No issue running the 95 map just wondering if there is a way of running the 100 if I dont ahve access to that at the pumps.

I take it you have a TT? If you don't then why bother 95RON is more than sufficient.

In regards to octane boosters, I was always advised they are rubbish and filed under the "they seen you coming" box. A more experienced mind will no doubt clarify better than me.

Just had a peek at his newbie thread, it's a 6-speed single.

In regard to octane boosters, some are effective others aren't, but if your going to go to the cost and effort of using octane boosters, I'd buy some ethanol to drop in on each tank(with an appropriate map of course)

Ya problem being that the current maps are locked and the tuner wants crazy money so was hoping to not have to change the maps.

Oh well the low boost setting will ahve to do for now, unless i go and get a tanker and import some vpower from over the boarder haha

Also i thought toluene was pretty bad for the engine?

There's toluene and xylene in fuel already, adding 10% is still probably within the fuel's standards. Up to 20% is fine I believe, but you'd still want the car re-mapping specifically to what you're using rather than just guessing it would be OK.

Ya problem being that the current maps are locked and the tuner wants crazy money so was hoping to not have to change the maps.

What ECU is it running?

- - - Updated - - -

There's toluene and xylene in fuel already, adding 10% is still probably within the fuel's standards. Up to 20% is fine I believe, but you'd still want the car re-mapping specifically to what you're using rather than just guessing it would be OK.

:yeahthat:

What ECU is it running?

- - - Updated - - -

:yeahthat:

Sorry for newbie comment, I thought that adding anymore would be likely to damage pumps/fuel lines etc.

The car is running a ViPec V88 ecu and has a 95 (1.3bar boost) map and 100 (1.7bar boost) map.

Thanks

Are you sure the 1.7 map is for 100 RON petrol, the way to test this would be get on a dyno set it to the high boost setting and get the dyno operator/ mapper to listen out for det/knock with the 95 RON petrol, this would only cost you around £100 tops

Are you sure the 1.7 map is for 100 RON petrol, the way to test this would be get on a dyno set it to the high boost setting and get the dyno operator/ mapper to listen out for det/knock with the 95 RON petrol, this would only cost you around £100 tops

Well to be more specific there are two ignition maps and then 2 boost settings. The 1.7bar one has only been tested on the 100 map so I wanted to keep to what was tried and tested.

Well to be more specific there are two ignition maps and then 2 boost settings. The 1.7bar one has only been tested on the 100 map so I wanted to keep to what was tried and tested.

IIRC and im sure our Northern friends can confirm this, but there is no 100ron on this Island anywhere. We have 95 down south and they have 97/98 at best in the north. Afaik a booster is never as good as the real stuff, i use some on mine just as an extra safety precaution but its been Ireland for quiet awhile before i got it and ran fine.

IIRC and im sure our Northern friends can confirm this, but there is no 100ron on this Island anywhere. We have 95 down south and they have 97/98 at best in the north. Afaik a booster is never as good as the real stuff, i use some on mine just as an extra safety precaution but its been Ireland for quiet awhile before i got it and ran fine.

Well 97/97 be a bit better than what we have and been told by a few itsa ctually lower closer to 93 :( Been looking into toluene now that someone has mentioned it...

Its the ignition map that will be dependent on fuel ron, not boost.

I have a similar setup on my track car, two fuel and ignition maps, 95 ron and vPower, but along side that I have high low boost settings, 1.2bar, 1.4bar and 1.6bar, all of which can be used with either ignition and fuel map combos, but you need to be sure how its setup or that it has knock protection or you could pop the engine :D

1.6bar on 95ron with timing pulled is still fairly entertaining, on mine it netted about 510hp if I recall correctly, torque was down though due to the amount of timing that needed pulling.

Its the ignition map that will be dependent on fuel ron, not boost.

I have a similar setup on my track car, two fuel and ignition maps, 95 ron and vPower, but along side that I have high low boost settings, 1.2bar, 1.4bar and 1.6bar, all of which can be used with either ignition and fuel map combos, but you need to be sure how its setup or that it has knock protection or you could pop the engine :D

1.6bar on 95ron with timing pulled is still fairly entertaining, on mine it netted about 510hp if I recall correctly, torque was down though due to the amount of timing that needed pulling.

Thanks for the info the only problem is that the ecu is locked so as of right now I have no way of checking the knock as supposedly the vipec wont let you see any of this information when password protected :/ So I cant enable the higher boost setting safely or without 100 octane.

Surely your mapper is willing to tell you about the map that is currently installed, I would expect this free of charge as all mappers should keep a copy for themselves :search:

I can understand mappers wanting to ensure nothing is changed which potentially blows the mapper and then possibly having the finger pointed, but to hold a customer / car ransom is bang out of order.

As the owner of the car you should know these details so that you dont make a mistake and damage it, IMHO anyways ;)

Guest MINTER

yeah only can get 97/98 ron up here,the only place in the south that I know of and having looked for it that does "super" is Callaghans in Donegal whch do 98ron and it defiantely is 98!

Surely your mapper is willing to tell you about the map that is currently installed, I would expect this free of charge as all mappers should keep a copy for themselves :search:

I can understand mappers wanting to ensure nothing is changed which potentially blows the mapper and then possibly having the finger pointed, but to hold a customer / car ransom is bang out of order.

As the owner of the car you should know these details so that you dont make a mistake and damage it, IMHO anyways ;)

I was simple told it might run on the 1.7bar boost setting but testing was only carried out on 95/1.3 and 100/1.3 or 1.7.

Wish we had 98 down here oh well....we can dream though if all things go to plan could be moving to Belfast shortly enough :sly: