The mkiv Supra Owners Club

KM to Miles adjustment

Gaz B

Hi all,

I had my doubts but after extensive tests my import is clocking up more miles than it's actually doing. So much so that after 100 miles, it's doing 15 more according to the car. The speedo is also out by about 7mph.

I'm running 17" BBS RS but I don't think it's down to that so much. All suggestions are welcome on how to solve this ASAP.

Thanks

Is your odometer configured to count in miles or kms? Being an import, as standard it would be kms. That still doesn't explain 100 vs 115 miles travelled.

I would check your speed converter first. The better ones have adjusters in them to fine-tune the conversion. They don't usually need it though.

Hi all,

I had my doubts but after extensive tests my import is clocking up more miles than it's actually doing. So much so that after 100 miles, it's doing 15 more according to the car. The speedo is also out by about 7mph.

I'm running 17" BBS RS but I don't think it's down to that so much. All suggestions are welcome on how to solve this ASAP.

Thanks

Is by coincidence the speedo out by about 7mph when you're doing 50?

Sounds like the speedo converter or maybe someone has swapped a diff at some point. The difference between the A02 diff (3.769) and the A03 diff (3.266) is almost exactly 15 miles in every 100.

Im unaware of a diff change. What am I looking for on the speed converter?

- - - Updated - - -

Oh and the odo is in KM, the speedo is in mph now.

If the ODO is still in Km but still reading wrong I don't see how it can be anything to do with the speed converter.

So you think it's the diff?

Thinking is not the same as knowing though. It's just that if the odo is still in Km then it's clearly not affected by the speed converter so it follows that if the odo is reading wrong it has to be something else.

Only other possibilities I can think of (thinking again, not knowing) are: diff ratio changed, wrong drive gear on the speed sensor, rolling radius too small.

Wrong diff or wrong drive gear are both possible if either have been broken in the past, wrong rolling radius would have to be so far out (about 100mm smaller on the tyre diameter) that you couldn't miss it.

im reading up on all now but, After collecting from JM, Jurgen assured me the car has been converted to Miles from KM. Im not familiar with the process but if the speedo is wrong, wouldn't the odo be as well? I lined myself up against an artic of which I know was doing 55mph. My speedo was reading 64/65 mph. As an artic driver I know this to be incorrect. Tonight after paying close attention to both, it appears to be in neither miles or KM but more in between the 2.

what difference would there be from auto to manual conversion using the auto prop and ECU still? my O/D light flashes every 2 seconds too.

Im sure though the odo and speedo have been off since day 1 when I got it as an auto. The car is also de-restricted..

Edited by Gaz B (see edit history)

• 2 weeks later...