The mkiv Supra Owners Club

My project to return the supra back to the road begins

gavin.starr

I got some more work done on my engine last night, Ive removed all of the inlet side of the engine. So im now ready for removing the head to strip it all down for its rebuild.

I thought whilst its sat there i will do a trial fit of the single turbo exhaust manifold to puta smile on my face and see what it will all look like bolted together.

BUT IT DOES NOT FIT So im rather peed off at the min. The exhaust studs are progressivley out of allignment with the holes on the exhaust manifold. Im un sure if elongating the holes will sort the issue as the actual exhaust ports may be out of allignment too. Needless to say there were a few swear words and a now broken chair in the corner of the garage.

The thing that gets me is the fact that there is score marks where the nuts have been tightened down on all the holes, so it has been fitted to a head in the past at some point so i cant see why it wont fit mine. are all heads exactly the same? As im really un sure what to do now.

Any help would be great

Gav

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 7 months later...

Im just thinking out loud here.

With regards to my manifold being undivided and my turbo housing being divided aparantly its not a good setup this way as you can crack the housing.

I could look into using a QSV shown below.

which may give me a slightly quicker spool which im not to fussed about.

The other option im thinking about is a T4 divided spacer plate.

would using this actually help in any way towards removing the turbine housing from being the first thing in contact with the exhaust gasses.

Like I said im only thinking out loud here so any comments are welcome although i know what they are all going to be. (stop being a tight arse and buy a proper manifold for it. Buy cheap buy twice etc...) Another manifold isnt out of the question im just curious as to try and keep costs down.

Im not in any need of quicker spool etc just more of a protection for the turbo.

Any help appreciated

Gav

Edited by gavin.starr (see edit history)

• 3 months later...

I went ahead and bought a divided adapter plate to see how it all fits. The only problem i now have is that the wastgate is out of alignment with the down pipe.

Would it be easier to blank off the pipe on the downpipe, spin the wastegate 180 degrees an make a screamer pipe to follow down the down pipe?

• 6 months later...

Well after a long time of finishing off other projects to make room for the supra.

I finaly got around to pulling the engine apart, with what was suspected small end bearing damage i wasnt expecting to find this damage to the bores :(

After selling on my spare almost perfect block as i didnt think i would need it im kinda pissed off lol.

All pistons have damage on them, and almost all bores have some amount of scoring, most will hone out but the scores in the pictures are rather deep.

Now i was expecting damage else where and was hoping all the block would need is a quick hone out and a swift rebuild :rolleyes: but obviously not.

My dilema is do i try and source a replacement block or try and work with this one, the trouble is the pistons i bought are standard size pistons so im onviously going to need oversize replacements, but seeing as i bought them nearly 2 years back im pretty sure i cant swap them.

:help: before i burn the lot lol.

Edited by gavin.starr (see edit history)

Guest Budz86

Just sell the standard sized ones and buy oversized. I'd get a machine shop to look over that damage first and see how much needs to come off the bores before they're good. Scoring does look pretty deep, but on the plus side you'll have oversized pistons and a built engine 😉

• 7 years later...

Right then folks, it been a long time since i posted any updates and that is mainly because of a House move then a house extension and then covid ant then kids so the supra has been put well and truly on the back burner.

This summer I have had some time and a little free cash so i cracked on with getting the engine completed.

The hardest part has been finding all the parts that I put away in hiding nearly 10 years ago, but progress is progress.

Engine 1.jpg

Engine 2.jpg

Engine 3.jpg