The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Oil pressure on 2jzgte

jza800

ok. but do you have lower or higere oil pressure at the sandwitch plate???

If I remember rightly I think it's higher due to the channeling of the oil, but don't quote me on that just yet mate.

There is a mod, using a Lexus bolt that gives a much better reading of pressure and temperature.

Guest Roger NE

If the takeoff at the Sandwich plate is BEFORE the Oil Filter, it will certainly give you an artificially high reading.

The correct place to take it is at the Oil Pressure Switch feed near the front of the block. (if you have an oil pressure gauge you don't really need a warning light, so just remove the switch and use that hole - you don't get any error codes)

I've been looking on one of the American forums discussing this issue . . .

It seems a LOT of people with the turbo engines have quite low oil pressure on idle (put tickover but changed it LOL) . . . as I mentioned before, very similar readings on the 2JZ-GTE to what people get on the 7M-GTE engines.

I would say yours is quite typical for an old engine . . . and at least your pressure at revs is quite decent (again it's often much lower on the GTE)

As I mentioned before, the COLD readings are pretty irrelevant, it's only the pressures when the engine is at normal operating temperature that are significant.

Edited by Roger NE (see edit history)

Well unless the sandwich plate is very sub std the oil pressure take off should be on the already filtered side of things, and should show exactly the same pressure as the oil gallery that the Lexus bolt take off as the output from the filter exists to this gallery,

As for the OPs oil pressure I would say its acceptable, and as I said in the first place your running 10W30 and most who are quoting higher figures are running 10W40 or higher which will increase oil pressure.

so what you saying is, i should get the same oil pressure readings whether it is in the sandwitch plate or the lexus union bolt, is that correct?

yes i have in mind that i run 10w/30, as i am planing off doing a oil change, i will put 10w/40 in it NeXT time..

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

i have now driven my car four almost 1 year, and the oil pressure is more steady now.. on Cold mine is af 70 psi.. on normal cruise and at idle (oil temp 80c - 85c) it is 15 - 18 psi. and my wot (6500 rpm) no more than 50 - 55 psi.. i run 10w/30 castrol oil.. i can see i have a Little lower readings than before.. no now that i am within spec.. but is my numbers still safe and normal four a stock engine????

It's fine, if the reading is to be relied upon, but bear in mind most electronic gauges are laughably inaccurate unless you spend a lot of money on one. Mechanical gauges are usually far more accurate and reliable. I won't run a electric oil pressure gauge on my own engines, I trust mechanical ones FAR more. same with oil temp gauges, but I will use electronic ones for that purpose. I also much prefer mechanical fuel pressure gauges, albeit with a safety bladder between the fuel rail and the gauge, which are expensive.

The Defi electronic things are a total joke, dunno why people buy them.

Edited by Chris Wilson (see edit history)

thanks chris, i have elektronic gauges in my car, i have checked the oil pressure gauge, with a mechanical gauge as a test as how accurate the Electronic one was, and they was pretty the same readings, not said i trust it 100%, but i have a feeling where the oil pressure is at ;) but chris, should i consider 10w/40 instead off the 10w/30 oil i drive now...

What's your gripe with defi Chris?

I haven't got them myself, always though they were overpriced to be honest, but are they not as good as everyone thinks?

All (fake) fur coat, and no knickers. 95% style and packaging, 5% technical merit. Lost count of how many dial covers have fallen in my lap, or how frustrated I have been when you want to see how fast the oil pressure comes up after a first thing in the morning start, and instead of reading pressure from the (all important) get go, it fannys about dithering to and fro. Plus they make the interior look the style equivalent of a down at heel cheap brothel ;) The problem with modern cars is very VERY few have anywhere to put additional gauges without them looking tacky and an afterthought, blocking peripheral vision, or needing a head swivel to see them across the other side of the car.

I tend to run thicker oil in engines that are worked hard, this thin stuff was really developed to allow manufacturers

to eke out the MPG figures. I presume you'd rather half an MPG less and better possibly engine protection? Either should

be fine, but if in doubt about deciding I'd go for the heavier weight oil. I did actually get a car from Birmingham to Manchester

on pure chip oil in the sump once, for a bet, then ran it for a good few thousand miles afterwards, (on normal oil). No ill effects, but I

didn't hammer it, and it wasn't a turbo engine.

• 10 months later...
Three to four bar idle, eight bar on boost,I'm fully built block wise,have a boost logic pump and 264 cams,

i came here to seek answers before starting a new thread, my oil pressure gauge exactly reads the same 8 bar on boost and 3-4 bar at idle im using 10w60 mobil 1 but your car is built mine is stock 2jzgte manual and im concerned is it normal or should i go for less thicker oil ?

i came here to seek answers before starting a new thread, my oil pressure gauge exactly reads the same 8 bar on boost and 3-4 bar at idle im using 10w60 mobil 1 but your car is built mine is stock 2jzgte manual and im concerned is it normal or should i go for less thicker oil ?

I would say that's way too thick for a std engine, most run 10w40, I ran that on a big single Supra, not keen on running very thick oil as it will have a tendency to keep the pressure relief valve open, and also may contribute to FMS failure.

I would say that's way too thick for a std engine, most run 10w40, I ran that on a big single Supra, not keen on running very thick oil as it will have a tendency to keep the pressure relief valve open, and also may contribute to FMS failure.

thanks alot i have been thinking this over and over lately i havent driven my car much say 150-200km yes i dont drive it much because i study in uk im from cyprus and car is in cyprus aswell so would you think any wear would have happened or am i just over reacting ?

thanks alot i have been thinking this over and over lately i havent driven my car much say 150-200km yes i dont drive it much because i study in uk im from cyprus and car is in cyprus aswell so would you think any wear would have happened or am i just over reacting ?

No problem, it wont have caused any wear, just do an oil change and fill with 10w40.

If you warm it up with some care, and you live in a hot climate a thicker viscosity oil when up to running temps is no real issue.

Just don't rev the whatsits off it when the outside, or oil temps are cold and most any *-high viscosity engine oil will be fine.You won't have done any harm. Manufacturers

like to use as thin an oil as possible to maximize MPG. We, as enthusiasts, will probably forego an extra MPG or two for

better high temp protection :)