The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Oil pressure on 2jzgte

jza800

First off all i haved tried the search button, but with no luck..

I have studied it for a long time and i have been looking in the forum, and there are 80% of all answers that they have 2 bar (28 - 32 psi) oil pressure on idle, where i have about 0,8 - 0,9 (13-15 psi) bar on idle ..

what is normal oil pressure on the 2jzgte engine, i run 10w30 castrol oil on mine, and i see

Cold startup

idle : 70 psi cold

hot : 8 - 10 psi (idle speed)

wot : 60 psi (6500 rpm)

what do you others see???

Edited by jza800 (see edit history)

Guest Roger NE

Surely the reason you're not getting many replies is because nobody has Oil Pressure Gauges ?!

I have recently fitted a 2JZ-GE in my Mk3 Supra . . . and all Mk3s have Oil Pressure Gauges as standard (which I have connected to the 2J)

My oil pressure on tickover (when at normal operating temp) is 40 psi . . . and at anything over 2000 rpm it's 65 psi. (with Castrol 10W-40 semi-Synthetic)

Now I don't know much about the 2JZ engines, but I presume that the oil system is very similar to both the 7M engines . . . for example, the GTE also has oil squirters on the crankshaft . . . and we have often discussed Oil Pressure on the Mk3 Forum (as EVERYBODY has an oil pressure gauge)

For a start, there is a pressure release valve after the Oil Pump, which opens at around 65 psi, so it should NEVER go above this figure. (would imagine the 2J has a similar system)

The oil pressure on my 7M-GE was the same as I describe on my new 2JZ-GE.

However, most people with 7M-GTE engines get much lower oil pressure . . . 5 - 10 psi on tickover, peaking 40 psi at higher revs. I put this down to the turbo engines typically being more worn, and having much more places to LOSE oil pressure as the engine wears, such as the turbocharger, and also having to feed the oil squirters . . . so they are unable to maintain the same oil pressure as the N/A version.

However, I do remember driving a BRAND NEW turbo Mk3 when they came out, and seeing the same kind of oil pressures as I got on my N/A. So the pressures only seem to drop as the engines wear.

By the way, the readings when COLD are not really relevant, as they will depend very much on the viscosity of the actual oil being used.

Hope these observations are useful.

Incidentally, I do think it crazy that Mk4 Supras DON'T have oil pressure gauges . . . I've never had a sports car without one - together with a temperature gauge they are essential to keep an eye on to make sure the engine is OK!

Edited by Roger NE (see edit history)

Guest Roger NE
Tick over is idle

Idle was always the American term ! But I notice a lot of English people seem to use it rather than tickover now !

(I suppose we'll all be saying Hood and Trunk before long!!)

However, I do think it's crazy that the American still use our IMPERIAL terms, when many over here DON'T . . . Maybe it's my age, but I think that most Imperial terms are much easier to relate to than the Metric ones - psi, bhp, ft-lbs, etc etc

Idle was always the American term ! But I notice a lot of English people seem to use it rather than tickover now !

(I suppose we'll all be saying Hood and Trunk before long!!)

However, I do think it's crazy that the American still use our IMPERIAL terms, when many over here DON'T . . . Maybe it's my age, but I think that most Imperial terms are much easier to relate to than the Metric ones - psi, bhp, ft-lbs, etc etc

Is that why they call them idle screws and not tickover screws?

106 views but only 2 replys, are there really so few that are running 2jzgte engines ;)

I would appreciate that you would find that out for me tricky ricky

From manual,

at idle 7.1 PSI or more

GE-3,000 rpm GTE - 4,000rpm

47-84PSI

Now the manual doesn't state a viscosity only API GLA rating, but the sticker on the the GTE engine states 10W30 but most use a 10W40 which

will increases the oil pressure slightly, however on my GTE I have never seen less than 23PSI at hot idle and around 80-90psi at WOT, obviously you will be seeing well over 100psi on cold start up.

One thing to bare in mind is that the GTE oil pump is very efficient, its quite capable of maintaining good oil pressure when its very warn, mine blew out the FMS due to a worn pump (search and you will find a lot about this) yet it was still maintaining the same pressure despite it being virtually scrap.

The first symptom you will see if the pump is worn is the front main seal fail.

on Cold startup mine is at 70-75 psi, and that is on bone Cold engine.. when i have warmed up, and the engine is on idle and with a oil temp at 90c it can go Down to 13 - 15 psi.. at full trottle/wot i never see more than 65 psi.. i dont have any front main seal problem..

Should i be worry about my numbers or is my numbers safe???

on Cold startup mine is at 70-75 psi, and that is on bone Cold engine.. when i have warmed up, and the engine is on idle and with a oil temp at 90c it can go Down to 13 - 15 psi.. at full trottle/wot i never see more than 65 psi.. i dont have any front main seal problem..

Should i be worry about my numbers or is my numbers safe???

First off, where is your pressure sender unit?

As that will have a huge impact on the reading

Guest Roger NE
is my numbers safe or unsafe?
Well according to Toyota you're safe, as you're obviously within their spec for the MINIMUM oil pressure . . . but that doesn't mean it wouldn't be better if it was higher !

Low oil pressure is very rarely due to a worn oil pump . . . it's down to wear in various engine components, effectively causing "leaks" in the system, which obviously reduce the pressure. (think of a hose pipe with lots of small holes along its length . . . it would be unable to maintain a high pressure)

Not sure what difference it would make WHERE you sense the Oil Pressure - mine is sensed where the stock oil pressure switch normally screws into the block (using a Driftmotion adaptor line)

So does the 2JZ not have an Oil Pressure Relief Valve, like the 7M ?

Guest Roger NE

Yes I've been doing some searching and found that they DO have a Pressure Relief Valve on the Oil Pump . . . but can't find the figure they're supposed to open at ! (as I say, it's around 65 psi on the 7M engines)

As far as I'm aware they sometimes stick so that they don't OPEN when they should (causing excessively high oil pressure) . . . not heard of them sticking open.

Coming back to the general issue . . . I've never bought a car for over 30 years that DIDN'T have an Oil Pressure Gauge . . . the hot oil pressure readings would be one of the first things I would check before buying a secondhand car, as it generally gave you an indication of the state of wear of the engine.

ok, i hope that there would be others inhere , there can put some light on this question, as this is for mkiv owners so there should be a good chance that there are some guyes that can come with a answer, about my pressure readings is safe or not ;) I doubt that i am the only one with a oil pressure gauge in the car..

but thanks for you answer roger ne, it help me a Little further..

many have the sensor there, to messure the pressure or oil temp.. but Again is my numbers safe or unsafe? i now that i am within the Toyota spec. but i am just a Little worried when so many have higere numbers then i have

Yes many may have the sensor there, but the pressure is very different due to the sandwich plate.