The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Shock absorber snapped! (Subaru GC8)

Kaan W

Hi all,

I have a friend that has fitted some coilovers to his Subaru yesterday and within 5 miles of driving there was an almighty bang and the rear of the car dropped. Luckily we was only doing 20mph as this could have been alot worse. After inspection the shock itself has snapped completely and leaked alot of fluid, also the coilover on the other side has bent slightly.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/32-WAY-ADJUSTABLE-RACING-COILOVER-DAMPER-SPRING-93-01-Subaru-Impreza-GC8-Gold-/111246864415?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item19e6d4701f

I know the first thing to ask is were they on the correct sides but they can only go on one way.

Im not sure on the brand but they are from ebay however this should not happen no matter how cheap a coilover.

Does anyone know what would cause this to happen after a very short time installed? The car was only lowered 30mm than stock.

Heres some pics -

attachment.php?attachmentid=180210&stc=1&d=1391355213

attachment.php?attachmentid=180211&stc=1&d=1391355213

attachment.php?attachmentid=180212&stc=1&d=1391355213

Otherside -

attachment.php?attachmentid=180213&stc=1&d=1391355484

attachment.php?attachmentid=180214&stc=1&d=1391355484

DSC_9315.jpg

DSC_9322.jpg

DSC_9314.jpg

DSC_9319.jpg

DSC_9320.jpg

Edited by Kaan W (see edit history)

• 3 weeks later...

I hope he didnt pay that listing price for them ? £2500 !!!!!!!!!!!!!! That's full Prodrive suspension prices.

With a shaft diameter so small, there was only ever going to be one outcome with those shocks, just be thankful he wasnt going faster at the time.

Whilst still a budget set, buy some BC Coilovers or AST. At least they're proven to work and not fall apart after 5 minutes and they really arent that expensive.

I did warn him about Hong Kong parts, I cant quite work out why its snapped though. The top of the shock has roseball joints so its not fixed and allows pivot movement.

The strut carries the entire load and also maintains suspension geometry, so it is a critical part and as such needs to be strong.

I hope he didnt pay that listing price for them ? £2500 !!!!!!!!!!!!!! That's full Prodrive suspension prices.

With a shaft diameter so small, there was only ever going to be one outcome with those shocks, just be thankful he wasnt going faster at the time.

Whilst still a budget set, buy some BC Coilovers or AST. At least they're proven to work and not fall apart after 5 minutes and they really arent that expensive.

Please tell me he didn't pay that!

No he didn't pay that price :D Think they were £350

That's what you get buying fakes lol, watch video on YouTube regarding fake Nardi steering wheels they look so original but bend easily. I think it would be good idea post this on every forum to warn people!