The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Fueling; Single pump vs Twin pump

Noz

im fitting the walbro 450 in mine too

And me. It destroys the 044 for flow all the way up to 98 psi at less voltage and uses the latest twin turbine tech and it's cheaper. But the old 044 is still a good pump and was my choice until walbro got their act together. If you want a big monster fuel pump Aeromotive and a few other american manufactures have electric pumps that can support upwards of 1500bhp.

Lyndon.

Edited by Nodalmighty (see edit history)

I went from a Walbro 255 to the Aeromotive 340 as listed in that comparison.

Main reason being the new Walbro seized after about 6 hours of use!

I like the Aeromotive design as it does away with the gear type pump in favour of an impeller and so far it has been faultless.

I can't comment on the 044 as I'm not familiar with it.

from what i can gather , the pumps will always run at full chat unless modified , ie the fuel ecu in the rear panel 9v idle and then 12 with any boost , this was done to stop the fuel heating in the tank , adding 2 or 3 pumps vs 1 larger pump , i gues the smaller pumps may not get as hot but may have some more surface area ,

best way to test maybe get some old stockers and the bosch 044 put them each in a bucket with water and a 12v feed for 20minutes and see how hot they get or the actual water gets

how hot each pump gets would depend on windings and friction

Nathan Freak had 2 external 044 on his MR2 Drag car and you couldn't touch the swirl pot after a couple of runs and that was with the return t'd back to the main tank. Mapped a 1k bhp R34 GTR V Spec skyline, same set up, same heat issue. MR2, 700bhp, single 044 on pump and C16, when swapping the fuel from one to the other it came out steaming. I had a 040 in my 650bhp MK3 Sup. Basically an 044 with a gauze bottom for in tank fitting. I fitted a fuel cooler (Mocal 25 row by 235mm rad) to combat heat on the return line.

Now I didn't have to run any cold start as the fuel was so dense is compensated virtually perfectly during the warm up cycle. So even fuel coolers can cause weird issues (and they are not the safest of things either). Having a fuel temp sensor in the fuel tank would be a good idea and one I'm having built into the fuel cell for mine for the EMU to adjust the fueling as needed. Nissan 300zx and the Impreza had them as standard as do all modern diesels.

Lyndon.

Edited by Nodalmighty (see edit history)