The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Urgent Help needed starting issue

ripped_fear

Have just tried a socket on the crank too, and it all moves freely

Has your bettery a little clear circular window on the top about the size of a 20p piece? If it does what colour can you see in the depths of it. Check in daylight hours.

Not sure it has a chrome trim over it, I can go rip it off now. What am I looking for? however iirc it does not

As for the battery there is no inspection whole, old picture from my build can be seen here-

attachment.php?attachmentid=160360&stc=1&d=1352300023

How do the terminals look on the starter J? I would whip them off irrespective of visual appearance and clean them up with some sand paper.

Definitely the next port of call, IMO.

I don't think there really possible to get to without getting it up in the air are they?

Edited by ripped_fear (see edit history)

Did the Passat battery start the Supra?

If the Passat is a smaller engine than the Supra it might be that the battery is OK, just not enough to start a 3.0 engine (Especially if the Supra is auto).

Didn't try as the passat battery at it is berried down and very hard to remove, but the terminas could stretch to the supra battery when I put the battery on the engine. The Passat is a 1.9 tdi and the battery is massive so im guessing it is heavier duty than the supras one.

Got the supra out a bit now but need to wait for someone to drive the other car, this is a pita

If the supra battery started the passat then it's not the battery at fault

It sounds like either start solenoid contacts or poor connections (earth or positive feed) to starter

Check with multimeter or bulb or wotever that you have power to the starter motor (has a continuos positive large size and a switched smaller size cable)

If you hear clicking when turning ignition/attempting to crank then the switching power feed to the solenoid is fine

And if you have power on the large cable that feeds the starter motor then the problem must be the switching contact in the solenoid (can become carbon covered)

In the past to check the motor works ok I've applied power to the motor terminal with a jump lead directly

If your supra battery starts the passat then it's fine

If your supra high beams and other devices seem to function on then the main earth and positive leads and connections on the battery are probably ok

I say probably because sometimes a poor connection can be fine to carry the current needed for bulbs and the like but as soon as you put the load of a started motor on them they break down

SHE LIVES!!!!!

Thanks to everyone for all the advice, after all the hassel, taking a days holiday, removing the lip, shuffling the car round, swapping battery's in and out, getting soaked through from the rain. It looks to be a dodgey connection on the battery.

She lives to see another day! Thanks all.