The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Why is it so hard to remap my own car? "chip tuning"

Scott

I want to have a play with the remap on my 535d. I've managed to find a couple of listings for diagnostic kit/software that'll support up to the E39 but can't find anything for the E60.

Any ideas why that is? All I want to do is pull the map and have a squint at it, with the option of re-flashing after a tweak or 2.

There doesn't seem to be much information on this at all. I can find plenty of sites that offer remapping, but all I want is the kit... not the remap.

http://www.shiftech.lu/reprogrammation.php?model=4&serie=21&year=114&engine=636

Stage 1 : 340 bhp and 501 tq

you need to come down to Luxembourg ;)

I've already got 337hp and 503lb torque ;)

I think he wants to buy the equipment to do the mapping himself

:yeahthat:

Although, not really to map as such lol. I just want to poke around a little bit. I don't have anywhere near the equipment required to map properly.

Roger that. Maybe ask Lee @ SRD ... he is doing diesel remaps.

Will give him a shout, cheers :)

What's it like at as it stands with the power and torque you have now Scott ?

I've been toying with the idea myself, or a turbod s2000.

It's hilarious to be honest. It's a fairly big barge, to be able to pull low 5s 0-60s is hilarious. Surprisingly light in the corners, very competent yet comfortable at the same time. Great daily driver. I'm still getting upper 30s with regards to MPG too, which isn't too shabby considering.

The clincher for me was the insurance though, £174 for the year :D

• 2 weeks later...

I nearly got into doing generic maps for diesels, there's a lot more to it than people think, yes, it's very hard to blow up a diesel engine compared to petrol with bad maps but still... Basically the hardware/interface's can cost a lot for decent ones that wont die half way through and leave your ecu blank but the main thing is every ECU has like a key that needs cracking, even my model of golf (115PD) had about 15 different codes for 1 engine spec/code and the people that crack the codes upload them to websites but can charge a couple of grand a month for the subscription. Yes once you've got it its done but if you were doing lots of cars theres always 1 you'll come across that needs a different code. Even then, once your in there's not a single fuel map, there's fuel map, boost map, transmission maps for autos, timing maps, all the stuff that determines throttle response etc.

There's more people that ever now offering generic remaps for next to nowt but I've known a few people now who's vehicles have struggled to start on cold days or not at all until the map was removed. Full throttle mapping is the easy bit, mapping all the bits in-between so its still nice to cruise in is a whole other ball game.

easiest way is an old 3 litre with a manual fuel pump, big turbo and fuel the bo**ocks off it. :)

I nearly got into doing generic maps for diesels, there's a lot more to it than people think, yes, it's very hard to blow up a diesel engine compared to petrol with bad maps but still... Basically the hardware/interface's can cost a lot for decent ones that wont die half way through and leave your ecu blank but the main thing is every ECU has like a key that needs cracking, even my model of golf (115PD) had about 15 different codes for 1 engine spec/code and the people that crack the codes upload them to websites but can charge a couple of grand a month for the subscription. Yes once you've got it its done but if you were doing lots of cars theres always 1 you'll come across that needs a different code. Even then, once your in there's not a single fuel map, there's fuel map, boost map, transmission maps for autos, timing maps, all the stuff that determines throttle response etc.

There's more people that ever now offering generic remaps for next to nowt but I've known a few people now who's vehicles have struggled to start on cold days or not at all until the map was removed. Full throttle mapping is the easy bit, mapping all the bits in-between so its still nice to cruise in is a whole other ball game.

easiest way is an old 3 litre with a manual fuel pump, big turbo and fuel the bo**ocks off it. :)

The thing is.... I already have the car remapped, I just want to look at it and poke around. I'm nosey.

I know that the ODBII interface I have works, it's the software that's required to read the E60 maps that I'm struggling with. The software for E39s etc is readily available but I can't find anything on the E60 and I don't understand why. I can fault find, diagnose, force DPF regens, all the usual stuff... but I can't find any information on reading the maps.

I can't see how the hardware would be expensive.... an ODBII interface should be all that's needed.... it's the software that's the key to everything though. Expensive diagnostic equipment is simply an ODBII interface with software and options already loaded onto it.

yea the main bit and expensive bit is software, it will be there if you know where to look but be more of a professional thing to track down and doesn't just pop up on google. if its still there get the DPF cut out and mapped out before your engine decides its going to eject it self. It was there to pass emissions tests from the factory, and add the equivalent wear of tens of thousands of miles extra to your engine. but then scrapping a car 10 years early isn't as uneconomical and your not taxed to death on that for no reason.

sorry for the rant but im in the UAE right now where petrol is the only thing at the pump and its 30p a litre and with everyone driving round in V8's quite happily, coming home to a place where all you hear is, "is it good on fuel", "I can get 50 mpg", is a massive come down reminding you, its not the cost of the fuel... its the cost of a government

The DPF is in my plans but I can't afford to do it right now unfortunately. I was looking to buy the DPF removal pipe and map out the DPF regen myself at a later date, hence why I was wanting a poke around the software. Otherwise it's going to cost me £300 for the privilege of someone plugging in a ODB2 interface connector and clicking a button :D

It's strange that the older models are readily available yet the not so old ones aren't, even at a cost I can't find anything.