The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Advice and help with choosing clutches

Andrew K

I have an RPS street max on a 550-600bhpish setup, and I'm still on the original clutch plate after nearly 10 years. Pedal weight isn't too heavy, but you will know about it in start-stop traffic. It's as quiet as stock and has as progressive a pedal travel. My only issue is that the clutch pedal needs to be right to the floor for clean changes and it can get a bit balky if things are really hot, like after a few drag launches in quick succession hot, certainly not under any normal spirited driving.

Edited by Ian C (see edit history)

Hello matey. :) I have an RPS carbon twin plate clutch in my 720bhp V160'd car. Before I say what's relevant for you, I'll get in the fact that it is a very good clutch. Certainly worth the money; as far as I can tell so far after nearly 18 months of frequent, ahem, spirited driving (:innocent:), bomb-proof; easily capable of handling that power with no slippage; re-buildable if anything does go wrong (not a feature I've needed to make use of so far); rifle bolt quick through the changes under load... :trophy:

So, all good right? :shrug:

NO! :no: For one it really doesn't tick your "no rattles or funny noises" box - even when depressing the clutch you can hear the plates rattling (so loudly one particular female employee working on the gate at Shakespeare County Raceway the other week asked if my car was broken because of the noise...) and when you lift off at speed you can often hear the rasping growl of the clutch over the exhaust note! :shock: Personally I love it and think it sounds awesome (because race car, right :D) but it's LOUD...

I've kinda got used to it now, but honestly this "stock +10%" to the pedal feel is a work of fiction too - it's ok for normal driving but get stuck in traffic for any length of time and TRUST ME you'll know about it. Also the bite point is a. significantly 'higher' than stock and b. about 1/2mm of pedal travel (I'm exaggerating slightly there, but honestly it's narrow!). After a year and a half, I STILL stall the engine at lights if I fail to concentrate - this isn't me being a mutant either because I drive any number of completely different manual vehicles day-to-day at work and have not one problem ever.

I often tell me people when they ask the usual "So can I drive you car then?!" that if they can get it going they can drive it, knowing for a fact that they wouldn't! It's quite a useful security feature, actually - you could probably leave your engine running and abandon your car somewhere because any would-be car thief is pretty much guaranteed to stall the thing! :D

So... Yes the clutch is a good one; no it's not ANYWHERE NEAR as user friendly as a stock one.

Now from what I hear the triple plate somehow alleviates all this and feels much more like stock, but as I've never driven a car with one of those fitted, I couldn't swear to it.

Invest wisely! Hope that's helped... :blink:

Well the triple plate must be 10 times better than the double. I get no noise on stock cylinders and its a soft pedal..

As you can hear in the quiet moments nothing....

Hi Tim, I have a Spec Super Twin, one of the best they do for the Supra, great feel with the 3/4" upgrade and slip able. However, very noisy... Sounds like the bottom end is about to fall out on less that 900RPM idle. :(

yeah thats why i was looking at a single plate setup on the stock dual mass flywheel. Wandering what people have used say a spec 2 or 3+ unit, feel and drivability.

I'm not sure why the tripple plates make no noise, but ever twin or tripple plate i've used made loads of noise with clutch engauged, and with the supra to my understanding anything not retaining a dual mass setup would also make noise on idle clutch in or out due to the getrag?

Yer mine is the triple mate. If Dave is saying his is that much off stock it must me a massive difference between the double and triple.

That's what I hear. Kinda wish I'd spent the extra couple hundred quid but it didn't seem necessary at the time because of all this "stock +10%" rubbish... :rolleyes:

I would go with the Spec Stage 2 Andrew, http://www.garagewhifbitz.co.uk/index.php/spec-clutch-2778.html there is no need for anything else at the power level you are thinking of unless you are thinking of drag racing or drifting with clutch kicking that is. For normal road use and circuit this is all you need.

Thanks

Paul

What's this clutch like noise wise and biting point? For road use would it become a pain when sat in traffic stopping and starting all the time?

I'm going to need to post some videos of mine to make sure that the noises that it makes are normal!

I look forward to having a quiet clutch next time for sure though, this one makes it sound like the car is about to fall to pieces! :D

The noise of mine is actually one of my favourite bits of it now! It adds a nice growly descant to the exhaust note when you're 'pressing on...' :eyebrows: It WAS a bit disconcerting the first time I ever drove it though because I REALLY wasn't expecting it... (uh, that and I stalled the engine twice before even leaving Whifbitz because of the snatchiness! :rolleyes:)

Stage 3+ are very good yes but not needed in this case.

i was just thinking for a little overkill when i did my own. As from experience with the 3sgte models drivability and pedal feel is almost identical on the stage 2 and stage 3+ so typically just fit a stage 3+. had the same thinking with my supra as well unless in this case there is a drivability difference between the 2 units

Tim

I *think* I've got a stage 3+ (Or stage 3 - for the W58) and it's... decent. I wouldn't call it smooth, though. Trying to bring it up lightly to reverse or pull away slowly and it judders like mad, needs a bit of revs to keep it smooth. I'd put it down to it being a one-off, but its exactly the same in my friend's GT-Four, except his chatters at idle and mine doesn't :)

I *think* I've got a stage 3+ (Or stage 3 - for the W58) and it's... decent. I wouldn't call it smooth, though. Trying to bring it up lightly to reverse or pull away slowly and it judders like mad, needs a bit of revs to keep it smooth. I'd put it down to it being a one-off, but its exactly the same in my friend's GT-Four, except his chatters at idle and mine doesn't :)

The stage 3+ isn't the smoothest unfortunately but you haven't got much choice with the W58 box if you want it to hold more power. It's better than other clutches of this type that I've tried over the years though.

thats good to know. You could always fit a larger master cylinder and that would resolve that to the floor issue :)

I looked at the larger cylinder mod posted up above and it seemed like a real ballache, pulling two clutch cylinders apart and making a monster out of the bits :)

should be silent with clutch engauged buddy. If its chattering on just sitting there on idle i'd say there is something wrong with the friction plate :( How longs he had it? any hard drag launches as i find gt4's have a habit of pulling the rivits in the plate on anymake clutch

- - - Updated - - -

Might just try a stage 2 then paul as i'm only using a GT35 on stock engine so won't be over 600ft/lbs at max. and its a road car so no real launches or drag racing, if anything it'll be rolling starts before it gets gunned

Tim